(Cycling) in the bleak midwinter

A lot of those motorists are justified - I've seen a lot of bad behaviour from fellow cyclists. When told by one whiny coworker how awful cyclists are, I replied that people who cycle thoughtlessly and recklessly likely drive the same way. Better for them to be on a bike, where they're less likely to hurt others.

Fortunately we have an ever-improving network of active-transportation trails here, keeping bikes and cars separated.
Wish we'd see more of that here. But yeah lumping all "cyclists" into one basket is the same as lumping all drivers into the same basket because a few people are jerks.

Pre-pandemic we were planning to go down to Arizona to cycle. The best-laid plans ...
Speaking of Arizona, some recent riding. I'm at 5000 feet so we get a little snow.
snowbike.jpg

Granite pebbles
pebbles.jpg

Quartz babyheads along trail
quartz.jpg

Really steep little downhill spot. Follow the white dots.:oops:
stormsteep.jpg

Cora on Waverley, nice spot for food.
Good call, B1974 - got it in one! It's a bit pricy, but service is excellent and the food (I always get the burrito crepe) is good. And with the BRT Phase 2 trail, it's a nice ride.

My wife is also a big fan of Stella's, and I really like The Falafel Place on Corydon. And of course we're regulars at Sals. We're spoiled for restaurants here!

It's fine if you dress for it. I have heated gloves that I wear under big mitts when it's colder than about -15 C. My skinny fingers do not handle the cold well at all. Warm winter boots with thermal socks are a must.
It doesn't get cumbersome?

It doesn't get cumbersome?
Yup! Beats freezing though.

I used to love running in the winter, but those days are gone. Never got cold running, even at -40.

Cycling is very different - my hands and feet get cold quickly.

Don't get me wrong - no-one likes the cold, but we're stuck with it. Rather than hibernating, I'd rather be outside in the fresh air for at least part of the day

I had issues biking even in relatively mild winters. I actually had a Tyvek windbreaker. It seemed rather bizarre wearing what looked like a big water resistant envelope, but it worked. But I either wore tights or nylon leg warmers (basically just extensions of the bike shorts) and arm warmers, or even a long sleeve wool jersey. I'm guessing that doesn't work where it's cold enough that there's snow on the ground.

But for snow, I remember hearing what some had for the Iditabike. Stuff like dual tire setups (think truck tires) that would tend to float over snow (like snowshoes) rather than sink. That - and studded tires for dealing with ice or hard packed snow.

32_1.gif

Here in NW OH we are 8 inches or more BELOW our normal snowfall and have had nothing sticking on the ground for weeks. I saw a bicyclist today on the drive into town even though its both cold and windy. Great if you can do it, but not for me.

You cold weather riders have courage. But I suppose you have no choice.

I am ridiculously spoiled. A pic from my ride this past Saturday, January 22nd. I can literally ride for 4 or 5 hours on back roads like this, and they have virtually no automotive traffic.

A video of me on one of my favorite roads. I ride this road 4 or 5 times a week. And I have to climb it to enjoy the descent!

Scott

IMG_6003 2.jpeg

I had issues biking even in relatively mild winters. I actually had a Tyvek windbreaker. It seemed rather bizarre wearing what looked like a big water resistant envelope, but it worked. But I either wore tights or nylon leg warmers (basically just extensions of the bike shorts) and arm warmers, or even a long sleeve wool jersey. I'm guessing that doesn't work where it's cold enough that there's snow on the ground.

But for snow, I remember hearing what some had for the Iditabike. Stuff like dual tire setups (think truck tires) that would tend to float over snow (like snowshoes) rather than sink. That - and studded tires for dealing with ice or hard packed snow.

32_1.gif
Dual tires, as in side-by-side? That's crazy (in a very interesting way). I wonder if that was before fat bikes?

My wife's bike, and the rear of my bike, are limited to 4", but I run a 4.8" tire on the front of my bike.

If you lower the pressure a fair bit, you get much better traction. I've run as low as 4 - 5 PSI on a long ride across a frozen lake, but I start out around November at 12 PSI. The pressure drops as the temperature does, so I'm probably down around 7 or 8 PSI now.

I love Nokian winter tires for cars; have never checked out their bike tires. Thanks for the heads-up!

Dual tires, as in side-by-side? That's crazy (in a very interesting way). I wonder if that was before fat bikes?

My wife's bike, and the rear of my bike, are limited to 4", but I run a 4.8" tire on the front of my bike.

If you lower the pressure a fair bit, you get much better traction. I've run as low as 4 - 5 PSI on a long ride across a frozen lake, but I start out around November at 12 PSI. The pressure drops as the temperature does, so I'm probably down around 7 or 8 PSI now.

I love Nokian winter tires for cars; have never checked out their bike tires. Thanks for the heads-up!

I couldn't find anything for the Iditabike, but I remember hearing that some of the bikes had dual tires/rims on the same wheel. But here's one although I don't think it's for snow. And I'm not sure how one is supposed to lace the spokes or where to get a hub like that (maybe drill extra holes?).

Lowering tire pressure has some interesting effects. I thought that sometimes it's more desirable to sink (like narrower snow tires) but sometimes wider is better to create a wider biting surface to dig in to mud or hard packed snow. It's probably not anything that's one size fits all because there are all sorts of conditions.

Now the old Nokia tires (back when they were a combined conglomerate) are pretty interesting. I posted a photos of one Nokia bike tire (before the added N) here, but I can't find it.

Michelin has some dedicated winter bike tires, like the Stargrip.

ck60rkseo03aq01t5w6etprsz-michelin-bike-city-stargrip-product-image.0.0.507.503.png

Back