(Cycling) in the bleak midwinter

We rode out to a breakfast spot a few days ago. It was not too cold (c. -10 C), but there was more wind than we'd counted on, so there was lots of blowing snow. Trails were in good condition though, and we had a bit of a tailwind on the way home.

20220115_152535.jpg
20220115_152545.jpg
20220115_154044.jpg
20220115_154050.jpg

I played golf today in 0°C and a bit of wind. Literally, had the whole golf course to myself. Out biking in colder and snowier weather is only for Canucks.

Oh no thanks, I hard pass on that sort of amusement.
Trav, it's better for me to get out and enjoy it than to stay inside. And I like my food - I'd probably weigh 500# if I didn't keep active. But the toll the salty slush takes on the bikes is heartbreaking. Easier and cheaper to deal with than on the cars though! But no problem in this weather - it's too cold for the salt to cause oxidization.

I played golf today in 0°C and a bit of wind. Literally, had the whole golf course to myself. Out biking in colder and snowier weather is only for Canucks.
If it's sunny out without too much wind, 0 C (or colder) is fine. It's the wind that's the killer.

We rode out to a breakfast spot a few days ago. It was not too cold (c. -10 C), but there was more wind than we'd counted on, so there was lots of blowing snow. Trails were in good condition though, and we had a bit of a tailwind on the way home.
Nice. We got snow here in the Seattle area and I did a few MTB rides in the snow. That was fun. Until it started melting & turned to ice, then I crashed and my bum was sore for a week or two.

Trav, it's better for me to get out and enjoy it than to stay inside. And I like my food - I'd probably weigh 500# if I didn't keep active. But the toll the salty slush takes on the bikes is heartbreaking. Easier and cheaper to deal with than on the cars though! But no problem in this weather - it's too cold for the salt to cause oxidization.
No problem, others like to jump out of perfectly good airplanes but I pass that too.

If it's sunny out without too much wind, 0 C (or colder) is fine. It's the wind that's the killer.
Absolutely. 0°C with a big sun and no wind is very pleasant on the golf course. It was windy today and the big went behind some clouds as soon as I paid for my round. Glad I had a handwarmer with me.

For me it's rain that kills the cycling joy. I will not ride in the rain. I don't mind cold, wind, or hills.

Nice. We got snow here in the Seattle area and I did a few MTB rides in the snow. That was fun. Until it started melting & turned to ice, then I crashed and my bum was sore for a week or two.
I commuted in the winter on mountain bikes for several years between about '98 and '06 before giving it up. Had studded some tires with sheet-metal screws, with mixed results.

Bought the fat bikes in 2015, and they've been a lot better. Bought proper studded tires for them in 2017, which was better yet.

It's funny, though, none of my bad bike crashes have been in the winter.

For me it's rain that kills the cycling joy. I will not ride in the rain. I don't mind cold, wind, or hills.
I don't mind a light warm rain. It can be dangerous for the first few minutes when the rain has mixed with oil on the road to create an oily slick. After the oil has washed away, it's OK. Wet new asphalt is dangerous.

A cold rain is never fun.

Waiting for the inevitable complaining about bikers stealing the roads from motorists etc
A lot of those motorists are justified - I've seen a lot of bad behaviour from fellow cyclists. When told by one whiny coworker how awful cyclists are, I replied that people who cycle thoughtlessly and recklessly likely drive the same way. Better for them to be on a bike, where they're less likely to hurt others.

Fortunately we have an ever-improving network of active-transportation trails here, keeping bikes and cars separated.

Back