CX-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am likely buying another 5 passenger AWD vehicle with capability for 7 on occasion for carting kids friends.

My budget range(cash) is $15k-$20k which some 2016+ Mazda CX-9(recent generation) fall into. Anything good or bad about them besides the tighter quarters compared to other midsize offerings?

I'm trying to remember when the Ford V6 was dropped and the SkyActiv 2.5 Turbo was installed. The Mazda engine is a good one.

I've read that the third row is tight for adults. That is something to consider if that is a regular occurrence.

2016+ is 2.5T. Stay away from 2015 and older, as the 3.7 was fitted with a water pump that will dump coolant into the oil if the seal breaches.

Originally Posted by madRiver
I am likely buying another 5 passenger AWD vehicle with capability for 7 on occasion for carting kids friends.

My budget range(cash) is $15k-$20k which some 2016+ Mazda CX-9(recent generation) fall into. Anything good or bad about them besides the tighter quarters compared to other midsize offerings?

I was contemplating that Mazda before I bought SIenna. Problem for me was, while I liked the way it drove, 14mpg average reminded me of MIG21.

If you're open to it, have a look at KIA Sorento. 2016 was the redesign year. They are available with a 3rd row and 3.3L V6.
Zero issues in 3.5 years. Been an awesome car.
And the AWD system would do great in your winters.

Passed my 16 Sorento SX AWD V6 on to my son once I got the JGC.

I have a 2016 CX9 Sport AWD that I purchased new in 2017. We picked it up for $32,000 out the door. The sport is the base model, but all the mechanical bits are the same as the more expensive Touring, Grand Touring and Signature models. We upgraded it with roof rails and cross bars to mount our ski pod on. I live in NJ, but based on your screen name, we might ski at the same area, MRG.

The vehicle has been great for us with no problems so far in almost 80,000 miles. I was initially worried about intake valve deposits with the turbo GDI engine, but that has not been an issue. Gas mileage is very consistent at 25 mpg. It's not the largest three row CUV, but that hasn't been an issue for us. We rarely have people in the third row. I rent vehicles a lot during business trips and the CX9 handles much better than most similar sized vehicles. The engine is a 2.5 liter turbo. Power is more than adequate. 2016 was the first year for the four cylinder. 2015 and earlier had V6 engines. The AWD system has worked well so far. We come over the steep Route 17 gap almost every winter weekend and haven't had to turn around yet.

Overall, we are very happy with it and would likely purchase again. I've also heard good things about the new Hyundai/Kia twins Telluride and Palisades, but I've also heard that dealers are marking them up by $10,000 over MSRP due to strong demand. Think I'll wait until the price drops on those before considering.

The only negative that comes to mind is that the transmission appears to be non-serviceable by the average shade tree mechanic. There is no dipstick and I haven't yet found any directions for doing a drain and fill.

Let me know if you have any questions.

My sister has a 2017 or 2018 CX-9 and they love it. I really like the way it drivers and wouldn't be afraid to buy one, great suv.

Following.

Wife wants a new SUV, her favorite seems to be the 2016 and up CX9. I was a little surprised to see they switched to a four cylinder turbo, but from everything thing I've read it appears to offer good torque at drivable speeds. Interior looks great. Price is very competitive for that segment.

Good to hear people aren't having issues with them.

fwiw ive suburban-test driven both the mazda cx9 and kia sorento 4cyl. the cx9 felt ponderous, the sorento felt nimble, which surprised me as i was looking for the former's zoom-zoom. the sorento is a nice package.

Originally Posted by jstert
fwiw ive suburban-test driven both the mazda cx9 and kia sorento 4cyl. the cx9 felt ponderous, the sorento felt nimble, which surprised me as i was looking for the former's zoom-zoom. the sorento is a nice package.

Was the CX-9 >=2016 or the previous one? I only ask because I noticed CX-9 ended up here>>> https://www.caranddriver.com/mazda/cx-9

That must be previous generation. CX-9 is best driving SUV in that appliance class.

4cyl Sorento has the Theta II engine. Stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back