CX-5 Turbo engine break-in

My mother recently purchased a new 2021 CX-5 with the 2.5 turbo engine. She is inquiring about the initial break-in period.

The manual basically states for the first 1000km to avoid racing the engine, avoid driving at constant speed and avoid driving at full throttle.

I did see there are some reports of 2021 Mazdas equipped with the 2.5 turbo engine are experiencing higher than normal oil consumption. I am wondering if there is anything else that should be considered during the initial break-in period or just to follow what the manual recommends?

Also, the manual states that Canadian models are to follow the severe-service guidelines, which indicates an oil service every 6 months or 8000 km whichever occurs first. She will likely be at well less than 8000 km when the 6 month mark arrives. Would it be okay to change the initial factory oil fill early?

I’d just follow the instructions. Mostly. My car likely had the factory spec break in and doesn’t burn anything at 235k. And I’ve got twice as many turbos!

Drive gently around town, no long freeway drives, and change early with Mazdas OE oil gets my vote.

Ask this question 100 times and you'll get 100 different answers.

My preferred method is to just drive the thing. Do some hard accel runs, not necessarily to redline, but don't bog the car around town either. Get the pressures, speeds, and temps up , it's not going to hurt the car. Most of the 'break in' was done within minutes of the first engine start.

Short oil change, or follow the factory maint minder, take your pick.

I dumped my 2003 Accord's oil at 500 miles. 260,000 miles later the car looks worn, but runs like new and uses no oil, much to the horror of Hondaphiles who swear that the 'high moly' initial oil has to stay in.

My preferred method is to just drive the thing. Do some hard accel runs, not necessarily to redline, but don't bog the car around town either. Get the pressures, speeds, and temps up , it's not going to hurt the car. Most of the 'break in' was done within minutes of the first engine start.

Short oil change, or follow the factory maint minder, take your pick.

I dumped my 2003 Accord's oil at 500 miles. 260,000 miles later the car looks worn, but runs like new and uses no oil, much to the horror of Hondaphiles who swear that the 'high moly' initial oil has to stay in.
You are right that I am probably overthinking it. First new car is some time for her so she wants to start off right.

I was reading the manual and there is no service interval for replacement of the transmission or driveline fluids. Is Mazda suggesting these are filled for life and do not require any replacement?

You are right that I am probably overthinking it. First new car is some time for her so she wants to start off right.

I was reading the manual and there is no service interval for replacement of the transmission or driveline fluids. Is Mazda suggesting these are filled for life and do not require any replacement?
Filled for the life of the warranty.

30-50k would be a reasonable replacement interval for those fluids....unless she's not planning on keeping it long term, in which case she can make it the next person's problem.

Load the rings, stay under 4,500 rpm, run premium for the break-in. No, don't drive it easy AFTER you have 100 miles on the ticker. Dump the oil after 800 miles, keep the filter, it is filtering better now then a new one.

Basically, just follow the owners manual.
But, if your mom lives in an area with some long downhill sections of road, it can be helpful during the first couple hundred miles to get the car up to about 4000 RPM with the transmission in the manual mode and then let off the gas and let it coast down using the engine compression to slow the vehicle. Do that several times.That will help seat the rings.

I changed the oil on my 2019 CX 5 turbo at around 1200 miles. Use Mazda factory filters only. I used about a half quart of oil during the first 5000 miles and it has settled down now and consumes no oil.

She will find that the engine makes so much power below 4000 RPM that she won't have any problem driving it pretty gently anyway.

Mazda's DI system is better than many but I still think it is prudent to follow severe service OCI recommendations. I use Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 oil and change the oil & filter every 5000 miles but I make a lot of short trips. I also use only premium 91 octane gas which currently is $4.99 a gallon where I live but I like getting the maximum horsepower. I only drive about 5,000 miles a year so the cost of the oil changes and fuel is fairly low. But the peace of mind is well worth it to me.

On my 17 Regal GS 2.0T I had an hours drive home when I bought it, did a little driving around town then hit the highway home, used the CC varying between 65/70. Changed the oil and filter at 500 miles again at 1500 and went to a 5K OIC. Always fresh oil and filter. ;)

true!

I dumped my 2003 Accord's oil at 500 miles.

I use to change my oil at 1000 km (and 5000 and 10,000, then appr. every 10,000 km).
The first oil change is the most important one. See UOA, the first one shows by far the
most wear (break-in) metals (and some silicon, mostly from sealant). New OE filter on
any OC.
Transmission fluid? I use to change it between 5000 and 10,000 km on any new car. I'd
say the same applies - The first oil change is the most important one.
Anyway, I'd recommend doing some longer distance trips during break-in to maintain
the engine is up to temp most of the break-in period at least. However, as mentioned
in the manual avoid driving at constant speed, vary speed when possible.

Dump that oil in the mazda right after the break in period . Castrol 5w30 edge is all that Mazda needs

Back