CVT idling in Neutral - bad?

cos

I have a 2020 Accord and was wondering if it would damage the CVT trans to leave it neutral when stopped at a light. Why? I don't like to hold brake pads against hot rotors.
I know, I can throw it in park but was just wondering about neutral.

I don't think you will have any problems doing this, but it does seem pointless. Pads and rotors are relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. Also, they don't get that hot in that kind of driving, not hot enough to burn in the rotors at least

Maybe you should've gotten the manual
19.gif

The Accord is the last midsize sedan standing that still has a manual transmission available (Mazda dropped theirs last year)

I have heard of some automatic transmissions shifting to neutral at idle. It's possible a CVT can do this, too.

Originally Posted by cos
I have a 2020 Accord and was wondering if it would damage the CVT trans to leave it neutral when stopped at a light. Why? I don't like to hold brake pads against hot rotors.

I don't see any reason to do so as your car's computer adjusts the fuel ratio for in-gear idling and I think there will be more engagement wear.

Originally Posted by Vladiator
This VIDEO may not be a direct answer to your question, but does touch on the topic and provides a few other CVT tips along the way.
s

The video link did not work for me.

Would not the area where the slip was occurring during idle be the torque converter, and torque converters can handle idling with no wear.

Haha. Brakes are meant to be applied at lights in case you get rear-ended. You really want to t-bone someone cuz your brake pads don't like getting hot?

How hot are your brakes, man!? If I have to come to a sudden stop and stay stopped, I try to leave a bit of room to creep forward, so the pads don't stay at the same spot on the rotor.

Unless you've just completed a multi-mile downhill run while riding your brakes, this is a non-issue. If you can't smell them, they're not hot enough to cause issues.

Originally Posted by cos

I wouldnt do it unless its a LONG light and your shutting it off.

I used to have a 45 second light at work and I would shut the car off.

As for brake material transfer causing pulsation - that's mainly a MYTH for commuting.

It would likely be more of a hill descent issue on trucks trailering with red or yellow hot rotors.

Plus brake pads are $30 and axle, rotors @ $30 >70 each;

transmission clutches would be a few thousand more than that.

Plus the engine likes to have a viscous dampened load when running which a converter provides.

Some CVT don't have converters - my Wife's Subaru Impreza CVT has a mini-converter that locks immediately in first gear once it gets moving a bit.(5mph)

I don't know why most planetary gear units didn't do that decades ago. I guess the lockup clutches were weak and torque limited.

Gosh here in GA where I live now. Some of the traffic lights I encounter every day are three freaking minutes long! It's ridiculous 🙄

Back