CVT cooler plugged up with dirt.

JTK

For 2013+ Nissan Pathfinder owners, this is something to keep an eye on.

I did a tire rotation on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4 yesterday. This gave me a better look at the CVT fluid cooler as it is mounted in front of the left front tire, behind a louvered panel in the wheel well liner. It's a small radiator style cooler. Air flows through cutouts around the left front fog lamp, through the cooler and out the louvers into the wheel well.

Problem is, everything the tire slings around has the potential of hitting this little radiator. The louvered slots are angled downward to keep big stuff from hitting the cooler, but mist and fine stuff still obviously blows right through. I had at it with the garden hose and flushed about a half a cup of sand and dirt out of that sucker. Now I wait for the leaks.. (Kidding). To quote Rainman Ray again.. "Nissan. The Chrysler of Japan.". Our Pathfinder has actually been very good to us.

For 2013+ Nissan Pathfinder owners, this is something to keep an eye on.

I did a tire rotation on my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder SV 4x4 yesterday. This gave me a better look at the CVT fluid cooler as it is mounted in front of the left front tire, behind a louvered panel in the wheel well liner. It's a small radiator style cooler. Air flows through cutouts around the left front fog lamp, through the cooler and out the louvers into the wheel well.

Problem is, everything the tire slings around has the potential of hitting this little radiator. The louvered slots are angled downward to keep big stuff from hitting the cooler, but mist and fine stuff still obviously blows right through. I had at it with the garden hose and flushed about a half a cup of sand and dirt out of that sucker. Now I wait for the leaks.. (Kidding). To quote Rainman Ray again.. "Nissan. The Chrysler of Japan.". Our Pathfinder has actually been very good to us.
Note to self. Clean cooler every tire rotation.

Reactions: JTK
Actually your cooler is getting loaded from the front as you drive. I have two coolers who suffer the same fate. Did you have to remove the louvered panel or wheel well?

Actually your cooler is getting loaded from the front as you drive. I have two coolers who suffer the same fate. Did you have to remove the louvered panel or wheel well?
There was very little debris visible from the front side on mine. Some bugs, etc. Basically the same as the a/c condenser. The back side / tire side was the side blanketed in dirt.

I didn't remove the wheel well liner assembly that the louvers are built into. I should have. I got side tracked and had the wheels all in place and the vehicle on the ground before I remembered I might wanna do something about that cooler.

There was very little debris visible from the front side on mine. Some bugs, etc. Basically the same as the a/c condenser. The back side / tire side was the side blanketed in dirt.

I didn't remove the wheel well liner assembly that the louvers are built into. I should have. I got side tracked and had the wheels all in place and the vehicle on the ground before I remembered I might wanna do something about that cooler.
Intereting. My louvers are directed outward/horizontally. I was wondering if you were lucky in that you could just remove the louvers. Share my pain!!. lol.

Intereting. My louvers are directed outward/horizontally. I was wondering if you were lucky in that you could just remove the louvers. Share my pain!!. lol.
It looks like this on the 2013-2021 Pathfinder:

31bBDVjJX-L._AC_.jpg

Renault or Chrysler... the same thing... 🤣

What Chrysler parts are on a Nissan?
There are many more Renault parts on a Nissan, and that doesn't necessarily address the Renault engineering that undoubtedly went into the product.
After all, Renault holds over 43% of Nissan stock.

What Chrysler parts are on a Nissan?
There are many more Renault parts on a Nissan, and that doesn't necessarily address the Renault engineering that undoubtedly went into the product.
After all, Renault holds over 43% of Nissan stock.
I mean the quality of the bunch.. you can include Fiat too

Back