"Cutting You Off to Save The Environment"

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a car I occasionally see in the work parking lot that has a "Cutting You Off to Save The Environment" bumper sticker on it. Every time I notice it I have no idea what they are trying to communicate. It looks professionally made, and is surrounded by other pro-environment message bumper stickers. And it's on a Prius. I'm not sure who drives it, so I can't ask them.

What exactly is the message here? I can take it literally, which isn't a really positive message. Nothing like proclaiming your poor driving habits. Which makes me wonder if there is a deeper message that I'm just missing.

Random musings on a Wednesday - it just bothers me that I can't figure it out.

I'm a True Environmentalist.
I believe there should be NO humans on this planet.

Not to change the subject, but speaking of Bumper Stickers.
I saw someone wearing a T-Shirt with a picture of a Dinosaur.
The caption read, "All my Friends are Dead".

Last edited:
Yep, just another MSB (Morally Superior Being) that has taken it upon themselves to cut you off, thus slowing you down, all for the environment.

We won't talk about the environmental impact of making the batteries for the Pious.. oh, excuse me.. Prius.

I'm no english native speaker, but for me the guy is just making fun, like "I'm going to save the environment, so I just overtook you".
That's my view. It is a humurous thing.

There may be an underlying message about carbon credits,
Or it could just be a heads up when he pulls infront of you and slows down to 10 under like an [censored]

If you have any old brake pads leave them on the hood of his car with a note that says "you caused me to wear out my asbestos brake pads, please be more courteous so that we can save the planet together...I'm tired of doing it all by myself"

How about I'm cutting you off so I don't have to slow down? Using the brakes will result in wasted energy when one has to accelerate back up to speed. I don't think there was anything arrogant intended. But, humor to one isn't always humor to another.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
How about I'm cutting you off so I don't have to slow down? Using the brakes will result in wasted energy when one has to accelerate back up to speed. I don't think there was anything arrogant intended. But, humor to one isn't always humor to another.

People always go for the negative, right?

I agree with you: it's probably a humorous reference to taking corners at a high rate of speed and/or conserving speed to save energy on the other side. What's fastest on a road course is also the most efficient on the street, and for similar reasons.

I can't really think of a situation where it would help to cut someone off to conserve momentum? The odd time someone behind me can't grasp why I'm coasting up to a red light giving it time to change so I don't need to stop, but its not cutting anyone off.
I think its them making fun of themselves driving aggressively in a Prius instead of a sports car?

I was passed by a Prius who must have been doing 70 while I was 55mph.

It is also FACT that these battery power cars do NOT really save the planet or have a LESSER "Carbon Foot-print," instead you just pay more for thinking that you do.

Now why can we have cars that get 100 MPG? Well you can but you have to do it yourself Jack, 1978.

The owner is implying that by cutting you off they are forcing you to hypermile along with them. People have tried that with me and I just chill in their blindspot ready to do a PIT maneuver if they try to force the issue.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Yep, just another MSB (Morally Superior Being) that has taken it upon themselves to cut you off, thus slowing you down, all for the environment.

I agree with this interpretation.

This is the flip-side of anti-social automotive behavior that drives owners of those big diesel pickups to "roll coal". After following one of these sanctimonius twits in a Pious for 10 miles at 10 mph below the speed limit, would you be tempted to pull up next to them and roll coal into their faces?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back