Cutting rotors

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have pulsation in my brakes when stopping at hi speeds. Do auto parts places still cut rotors?? If they do what is the charge, I'm in NY??

Some around here nothing to like $15. Not much. Make sure to clean your hubs and rotor hats real good too. Some Anti-Seize on the inside of the Hat is a good Idea too.

Look for hot spots and see how far off they are and minimum thickness specs before turning. Might need to replace.

Last edited:
replace them. Cheap enough...

Then revise your driving style and double ensure that your lugs are torqued properly.

JMH

I bought some Valuecraft rotors from AutoZone for $19.99 each for my nephew's Civic.

Most places charge $10-12 bucks for cutting the rotors.

Back in the days when a rotor was a real rotor I had them cut most of the time.

Lately I've not bothered. In most cases I've seen with those that had a lot of use age there wasn't enough material to work with. Thinner more light weight parts warp easier, are more prone to warping with improper tightened specs and sequences.

So, for about 10 years now I've always, with maybe 2-3 exceptions replaced them when needed.

Shops still cut them but you'll have to contact one in your area for cost.

Last edited:
I'd get new, plain, cheap rotors at the auto parts store.
Clean them from shipping oil/grease, clean the mounting hub on the car, and torque the wheel properly.

Originally Posted By: gary6768
thanks for the responses... I'm gonna get me some new ones.

Cutting the rotors will resolve the problem permanently if and only if the pulsation was caused as a result of uneven pad material transfer. Otherwise, if it's actual rotor warp, you'll have to replace the rotor.

I would get some Centric Premium rotors (120.XXXX part number). RockAuto recently began selling them at very, very low prices. They are excellent rotors. Be sure to replace the pads as well.

Critic: What reference are you using for recommending the Centric? For example, from Rockauto for my car, Centric are $47, Brembo $62. Am I going to be sorry I didn't spend the extra 2x $15?

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Critic: What reference are you using for recommending the Centric? For example, from Rockauto for my car, Centric are $47, Brembo $62. Am I going to be sorry I didn't spend the extra 2x $15?

Many of the independent shops back home have switched from Raybestos to Centric, claiming better success with Centric products. Zeckhausen Racing is also recommending Centric for many daily drivers.

Don't bother cutting rotors. Got mine from autozone called duralast rotors. Just make sure there's no rust on the hub when you install. I think they were 19.99 each. after 5k miles of city driving smooth like I just bought them yesterday.

My best buddy is an independent auto mechanic. He takes even new rotors and checks them for true and most of the time even takes a skim cut just to make sure. We normally don't just replace the rotor, we do a brake job. Everything gets checked and replaced if necessary. I'm thinking we use Wagner or O'Reilley Auto Parts brake pads, and usually Wagner kits for the rest of the stuff. You would be amazed at how much stuff comes out of China, regardless of price, and how many of those rotors from China and other parts of the world are not true.
Steve

If you buy good quality rotors, they usually don't need to be cut.

However, Honda does recommend cutting new rotors, but ONLY WITH AN ON-THE-CAR LATHE. The difference between cutting them with a bench lathe and an on-the-car lathe is that with the on-the-car the rotor will be true to the hub.

Critic, do you have an idea of what it costs to have the Honda/Acura dealer resurface rotors with the on-the-car lathe? I wonder if they would install customer-supplied aftermarket pads.

Originally Posted By: Tosh
Critic, do you have an idea of what it costs to have the Honda/Acura dealer resurface rotors with the on-the-car lathe? I wonder if they would install customer-supplied aftermarket pads.

Minimum two hours labor at $100/hr. Not sure if they will install customer supplied parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back