Cutting Cable-Roku?

Originally Posted by PontiacHO
Anybody using Roku and subscribe to YouTube?

The free YouTube service, yes.

We already have Netflix and Prime Video subscriptions, so between those two and my OTA antenna that picks up a couple of local channels, and then the endless amount of free content via Roku channels such as Tubi, Pluto, YouTube, The Roku Channel, etc. there is more than enough stuff to watch.

So it's basically $40/month for Internet service and $12.99/month for Netflix. I'm not counting Prime Video cost as it comes included with our Amazon Prime membership which we would have gotten anyway.

Originally Posted by hallstevenson
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for cable TV ? What about your internet ? I'll presume your internet is from your cable provider too and if it is, the cost of internet-only will go up. Many people pay $200/mo or more for cable TV and internet and if that's the case with you, you'll still save money if you're smart. We haven't had cable TV for 10 years but did have Dish Network with their lower-cost packages (Flex $35 + locals $10 + $30 in hardware costs). Switched to YouTube TV and it was $35/mo at the time but has quickly increased to $49 !
confused2.gif
Still saving money over Dish though.

My internet cost was always separate so it's a non-factor in the above.

As far as Roku, it just so happens to be what we use. Many folks use Amazon Fire Stick or their smart TV's built-in apps. I have nothing against Fire Sticks, they simply didn't exist when I bought our first couple Rokus. As for smart TV apps, I'll never go that route (long-term). The TV manufacturers don't support their TVs for very long meaning the apps will become outdated or apps for new services will never exist on an older TV. If you replace your TV every 2-3 years, this might work for someone though. If someone replaces their TV that often, I question their interest in saving money though !

Part of the problem when asking costs for internet, TV or even cell phone service is because much of what you describe.
I wish when people quote what they "pay" that they would actually post what they "pay". *L*
More or less actual monthly payment which is far more accurate then the advertised price. So many taxes, admin fees ya da ya da, they should also post if the price is on a 1 or 2 year "special"
This would greatly help others compare.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Originally Posted by hallstevenson
If you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying for cable TV ? What about your internet ? I'll presume your internet is from your cable provider too and if it is, the cost of internet-only will go up. Many people pay $200/mo or more for cable TV and internet and if that's the case with you, you'll still save money if you're smart. We haven't had cable TV for 10 years but did have Dish Network with their lower-cost packages (Flex $35 + locals $10 + $30 in hardware costs). Switched to YouTube TV and it was $35/mo at the time but has quickly increased to $49 !
confused2.gif
Still saving money over Dish though.

My internet cost was always separate so it's a non-factor in the above.

As far as Roku, it just so happens to be what we use. Many folks use Amazon Fire Stick or their smart TV's built-in apps. I have nothing against Fire Sticks, they simply didn't exist when I bought our first couple Rokus. As for smart TV apps, I'll never go that route (long-term). The TV manufacturers don't support their TVs for very long meaning the apps will become outdated or apps for new services will never exist on an older TV. If you replace your TV every 2-3 years, this might work for someone though. If someone replaces their TV that often, I question their interest in saving money though !

Part of the problem when asking costs for internet, TV or even cell phone service is because much of what you describe.
I wish when people quote what they "pay" that they would actually post what they "pay". *L*
More or less actual monthly payment which is far more accurate then the advertised price. So many taxes, admin fees ya da ya da, they should also post if the price is on a 1 or 2 year "special"
This would greatly help others compare.

I think people don't include the internet cost part because they're going to have internet service regardless if they cut the cord or not.

But yeah... $30/month for Comcast internet at 100Mbps, $25 a month for YouTube Premium, and whatever Netflix is up to now.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by BlueOvalFitter
Is that some kind of anti-virus for the CORONA VIRUS?
Sure.

crackmeup2.gif

Back