Cutting Bulk Chocolate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I eat an ounce of dark chocolate a day. It is costing me $3 to $3.5 for a 3.5 ounce bar of my favorite. Last week I bought a block of Belgium made semi sweet chocolate (Callebaut) for $7.99 per pound, a much better price. But breaking it into one ounce pieces is very difficult. What if I purchase a coping saw with a fine blade to cut it. Seems that would work very well.

Not health reasons, just a chocolate addict! I should quit as it has given me an extra inch to pinch around the waist. Been at it for over a year now. Also scarf a jar of dark chocolate peanut butter every two weeks.

Chisel is improvement over lock blade pocket knife I am using, but I really want a saw, though will be messy, at least I can eat the sawdust.

Hey where are you finding dark chocolate peanut butter??? I too am addicted to the same substances as you, but my local pusher doesn't stock a dark chocolate peanut butter!

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
I eat an ounce of dark chocolate a day. It is costing me $3 to $3.5 for a 3.5 ounce bar of my favorite. Last week I bought a block of Belgium made semi sweet chocolate (Callebaut) for $7.99 per pound, a much better price. But breaking it into one ounce pieces is very difficult. What if I purchase a coping saw with a fine blade to cut it. Seems that would work very well.

Chocopotamus, you may want to try a very sharp cleaver. Possibly tap the spine with a mallet.

Originally Posted By: moribundma
Chocopotamus, you may want to try a very sharp cleaver. Possibly tap the spine with a mallet.
How about a machetti?

Originally Posted By: mpvue
just don't lick the blade when you're done.
I do, just have to lick in the correct direction.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Hey where are you finding dark chocolate peanut butter??? I too am addicted to the same substances as you, but my local pusher doesn't stock a dark chocolate peanut butter!
Meijer, but they are not in your area. Here is the website, ask them: http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com They have 9 varieties/flavors: http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/items_4.html

How about a machetti?

Do you swing it at Mach 1.5?
wink.gif

Nice...I have connections to get that product shipped in here from the thrifty acres! Thanks and good luck on your quest to cut the perfect square...I like Mori's clever cleaver idea.

Martin Yan has taught me that the only cutting tool you ever need in a kitchen is a cleaver!
grin2.gif

Oh, a hot-wire styrofoam cutter can probably cut through chocolate!

Originally Posted By: moribundman
How about a machetti?

Do you swing it at Mach 1.5?
wink.gif

Average speedas it varies over the length of the blade?

'Fraid it's just another case of bad results using Google search for a quick spell check. Unless it has multiple spellings my hard copy dictionary says Machete.

Anyway, I would advise against swinging the cutting implement of your choice with great force, because chocolate chunks will be flying all over the place. I expect a cleaver and mallet to work much more cleanly.

Originally Posted By: moribundma
How about a machetti?

Originally Posted By: mpvue
just don't lick the blade when you're done.
I do, just have to lick in the correct direction.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Meijer, but they are not in your area. Here is the website, ask them: http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com They have 9 varieties/flavors: http://www.ilovepeanutbutter.com/items_4.html

I go through a jar every 2 weeks. It's either this or nutella - we don't have a lot of choices of chocolate spreads in the US.

I need a dog to clean up the flying chocolate chunks--no wait, dogs get sick on chocolate don't they?

CivicFan, it's great stuff. The Nutella is delicious but in checking the labels, it seems the cho peanut butter is significantly more healthful, so I avoid the Nutella unless someone offers it, which keeps it from becoming a habit. Now if I could quit the chocolate doughnuts.

Well y'all probably think I am a fatboy, but I weigh all of 170 pounds for my 6'1" frame.

I used to buy two pack Nutella in 750 gram jars from Costco a few years back. Then they stopped carrying it so I droppes my membership. It turns out that Nutella was the only reason I was a Costco member.

I don't eat peanut butter (I use almond and hazelnut butter when baking). And why would I want to eat chocolate goop? If I want chocolate, I want it to be chilled and brittle.

Nutella is of course a German product and vastly popular there. Especially kids eat it, usually on bread. I shudder at the thought of soiling bread like that. I might use it when baking a cake or something. Maybe as a thin layer in a torte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back