Cut open Toyota 90915-YZZG2, Napa Proselect 21348, Napa Gold 3148, and FVP R1348

Hey all! First post, so let me know if I'm doing this right.
I run a one-man auto repair shop and after hearing a lot about torn Proselects, of which I have used many, I thought I'd take a peek inside one myself.
While I was at it I decided to include 3 other filters for the same application. This is my most used filter type, so I have a bucket of them in the shop.
Sorry for the punctures- I poke them with a weld chipping hammer to drain them.
Here goes...
4filters.jpg
IMG-8031.jpg
IMG-8032.jpg

Weird pinch on the Toyota ADBV. Must have been slightly offset during assembly.
IMG-8033.jpg
IMG-8036.jpg
IMG-8038.jpg

Torn media on the Proselect. I will be returning the remaining stock I have.
IMG-8039.jpg
IMG-8041.jpg

Gold looks considerably better. This was my go-to filter for several years before the price went up 40%
IMG-8043.jpg
IMG-8047.jpg

And finally the FVP from Factory Motor Parts. The cheapest of the bunch. Cardboard end caps, a stiff nitrile adbv, and a bit of an uneven shape to it.

Last edited:
Excellent camera work
It's kinda what oil filters have become
Either expensive, manufacturing flaws, or flat out failure
I have a few of those G2 filters, probably should use them up
I do miss the OG Toyota/Denso foam -10003 filters
It seems only a few years back, the golden grippy PureONE and the clear box DistancePlus were the gold standards
I'm seeing more and more FVP branded stuff, and it's all looking like garbage

Excellent camera work
It's kinda what oil filters have become
Either expensive, manufacturing flaws, or flat out failure
I have a few of those G2 filters, probably should use them up
I do miss the OG Toyota/Denso foam -10003 filters
It seems only a few years back, the golden grippy PureONE and the clear box DistancePlus were the gold standards
I'm seeing more and more FVP branded stuff, and it's all looking like garbage
I agree. I’m seeing more ECOGARD filters and Premium Guard filters at work. They look solid

Toyota oil filters now have end caps? I know the Denso oil filters have end caps, but the oil filters Denso makes for Toyota do not use end caps, at least the ones I am currently using. Regards

Toyota oil filters now have end caps? I know the Denso oil filters have end caps, but the oil filters Denso makes for Toyota do not use end caps, at least the ones I am currently using. Regards
Says Made in USA, and has a Purolator date code on it, and base plate looks Purolator-ish ... so looks like now Purolator made. Maybe the OP can get a better photo of the date code on the Toyota filter.

1664306594843.png

For some reason, Toyota on the West Coast gets Thai filters stocked at their Portland/San Ramon/LA(Torrance) regional warehouses.

Purolator and Denso, rather Toyota Boshoku had a joint venture in Tennessee making oil and air filters. It’s now called TBDN and only makes intake modules, OE Subaru and Toyota EAFs/CAFs currently.

Back