[Cut Open] Purolator P1 PL3001 4k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decided to change my P1 early and not run it 10k. About 1 month and 4,000 miles on filter with PP 0w-20. Did not change the oil just the filter with a Baldwin B2-HPG and topped off with PP 0w-20. I'm thinking of going about 12k miles for this OCI cuz of the filter change.

Looks great probably could have left it on for the full 10k.

15qqdcw.jpg

http://i59.tinypic.com/15qqdcw.jpg

mvt1z4.jpg

http://i62.tinypic.com/mvt1z4.jpg

spvx4i.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/spvx4i.jpg

2va14oz.jpg

http://i57.tinypic.com/2va14oz.jpg

Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
They're still a bit wide for my taste.

But here's the key ... the V-spread on the pleats is very small. It's a large V-spread that puts the side stress on the pleat due to oil flow force.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Those pleats look better.

No stress = no tears.

Yes, but if stress on the media = tears then I want different media. Because its always under the stress of the oil pressure.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: Turk
Those pleats look better.

No stress = no tears.

Yes, but if stress on the media = tears then I want different media. Because its always under the stress of the oil pressure.

Pleat configuration has a large roll in the stress seen in the media. But yes, if the media is weak then obviously there is little headroom for much stress.

Purolator has found a bad combination of factors that add up in the wrong direction.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

But here's the key ... the V-spread on the pleats is very small. It's a large V-spread that puts the side stress on the pleat due to oil flow force.

No metal crimp either.

Originally Posted By: possum328

No metal crimp either.

We have seen this same exact failure on Purolators with the metal crimped seam and also with the glued seam. IMO, the seam design doesn't really matter.

Hallelujah, a positive P1 anecdote. Pleating looks excellent, and I agree it could have easily done the 10k especially with the road/hwy miles oci which I believe to be much easier on filter media as well as the engine. Less moisture/condensation/fuel dilution cycles which are tougher on media. But that's not intended as an excuse for the tears seen other P1's, just an observation based on other hwy oci filters posted here.

Really think that if Puro would just close/narrow the pleat spacing next to the seam pleat (where tears occur) by simply spreading the spacing more evenly around the circumference of the center tube they could significantly reduce tear issue. The other solution imo would be to increase the media area adding a pleat or pleats. But I'm thinking the first suggestion would work especially in applications like this showing good media area and tight pleating away from seam pleat. My .02

Based on the look here thinking this engine is very clean. Thanks for the pics.

Certainly that filter looks fine...

Observation/Question... why are the pleats near the seam always the wide ones, there must be something in the construction or tooling that causes it...

Kind of an old one ... F02B04B2 = Feb 4, 2010.
Most of the tears have been in 2012 and 2013 production, have they not? Certainly, makes one wonder what changed...

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Kind of an old one ... F02B04B2 = Feb 4, 2010.
Most of the tears have been in 2012 and 2013 production, have they not? Certainly, makes one wonder what changed...

I think this was about the first reported media tear on this board, back in May 2011. This filter had a date code of F08A26D1 which is Aug 26, 2009.

Link: Torn Purolator Classic L14459

Notice again how much V-spread there is on the torn pleat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back