(CUT OPEN) Pro Motive #3614, 4,989 miles 07' focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Instead of bashing Purolator, you should have instead told the customer that if he insists on using a cheap filter he needs to change it more frequently or step up to a better filter. Everyone here is amazed that a $2 jobber filter had a tear in the media after being on a car for 5k miles? Give me a break, if you don't take care of your equipment it is going to fail. Even the precious fram ultra.

^^^^ LOL yeah you can't blame these bottom feeder filters for failing on these ultra long 3-5k OCI's. They are only fit for normal 1-2k OCI's.

Well, if it's made by Puro and supposedly good for a normal PCI, then it didn't make it jk_636. That's my honest opinion, just sayin. Find it funny people bash a "made in China" Driveworks, but how many spin on filters of those have we seen fail in 4k?

Originally Posted By: jk_636
Instead of bashing Purolator, you should have instead told the customer that if he insists on using a cheap filter he needs to change it more frequently or step up to a better filter. Everyone here is amazed that a $2 jobber filter had a tear in the media after being on a car for 5k miles? Give me a break, if you don't take care of your equipment it is going to fail. Even the precious fram ultra.

This is not a reasonable argument because many oil change shops uses these jobber filters and most manufacturer-mandated OCIs today are at 5k minimum. What are people supposed to do? Go back to the quick lube place after 3k and have only the filter changed and not the oil?

Originally Posted By: sir1900

This is not a reasonable argument because many oil change shops uses these jobber filters and most manufacturer-mandated OCIs today are at 5k minimum. What are people supposed to do? Go back to the quick lube place after 3k and have only the filter changed and not the oil?

You only have to do this with Puro made filters, all the other cheapie filters handle it just fine.

What I'd like to know is how many here who were touting Puralator Pure 1 & 2 OCI's for years, drive around with one of these tears for an entire OCI.

Ugly.

Joenpb, stay tuned in. I have a "Tec Select" and a mighty filter as well as a "made in U.S.A" CASITE filter from a 14' Maxima(Nissan) to chop tonight or whenever

Originally Posted By: car51
Well, if it's made by Puro and supposedly good for a normal PCI, then it didn't make it jk_636. That's my honest opinion, just sayin. Find it funny people bash a "made in China" Driveworks, but how many spin on filters of those have we seen fail in 4k?

I would far prefer a Driveworks to that POS....Purolator ought to be ashamed of themselves ....

Yeah, I don't know what to think. I forgot to take a date code picture to decipher when it was manufactured

the reason we won't use them at the shop in a pinch is because some of them say made in China. I think they are a much better bet than purolater any day

Yep. Made in China by the Hong Kong Fuey Eggroll company. Nobody knows anything about them.. Heck several places could be doing some contract manufacturing for AAP. Cartridge filters vs. say the spin ons like what WIX does.. US vs. Polish made.

The cartridge filter for the GF's car does seem to be very well made. It is one of those $11 ones.. Stiff media and a lot of pleats. One of these days when they have M1 0w40 on sale, Ill have to scoop up that oil/ filter deal.

*The only negativity I have seen with DW filters here is that a few members claimed the threaded hole was crooked. I have sneaked a peak at many filters while shopping at AAP and they all seemed straight. If my Jeep wasnt so picky, I'd run one for a conservative 5k OCI.

Last edited:
Oh guys and FWIW, my dad got his cam crunching Audi back from the shop with its new junkyard engine. The shop put a ProMotive on the engine, but it will only be ran at 500 miles as recommended by the mechanic. I have a Mann that I will use next for an additional 1000 miles then we will see how the engine appears after that.

It will probably see WIX MG filters at 5-7.5k intervals since it will be short tripped. I wont have the guts to stretch it out to 10k just yet.

What they should do is:
A) change their own oil and use better filters
B) have their oil changed by a shop that uses better filters
C) go to a shop where the mechanic cares enough to recommend they don't use $2 filters for so long
D) DONT USE CHEAP FILTERS SO LONG
*disclaimer: I'm not saying the OP isn't a fine mechanic. I'm sure he is. Nothing about this post is derogatory towards him. This is a general statement of automobile ownership.

Jk_636: at our shop some guys go to a "independent shop" and get the $15-20 oil change special. Some of them come back to us, depends. Thanks for the info and advice sir.

What they should do is:
A) change their own oil and use better filters
B) have their oil changed by a shop that uses better filters
C) go to a shop where the mechanic cares enough to recommend they don't use $2 filters for so long
D) DONT USE CHEAP FILTERS SO LONG
*disclaimer: I'm not saying the OP isn't a fine mechanic. I'm sure he is. Nothing about this post is derogatory towards him. This is a general statement of automobile ownership.

You are grasping at straws in your defense of Purolator. Nobody is going to ask an oil change shop what filters they use, and even if they do, few know the difference between Brand A vs Brand B.

I think you need to sell your shares in Purolator.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back