Cut open OEM Honda Filtech - pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut open the used Honda Filtech that I took off my car today. I was just curious what was on the inside. I liked what I saw, and will probably continue to use them since they aren't anymore than a Wix at the auto parts store. The end caps are very similar, and somewhat thicker, than the e-core endcaps. The center tube would easily slide out, but fit snuggly into the base and the bypass on the end. It seemed to be a fairly solid built filter. I'm going to try and get a OEM Honda Fram next time. I don't know if I want to run it or just cut it open though?

Here's some pics, enjoy:

Hey, thanks for the pics, I was gonna take some pics of my cut open Filtech, but now I don't have to!! I didn't get the core out, though, thought it was fastened, must not be. How long after shut down did you remove it? Was there still oil in it? If you refer to my other thread, mine was dry after sitting about an hour.

Bob

Quote:

Hey, thanks for the pics, I was gonna take some pics of my cut open Filtech, but now I don't have to!! I didn't get the core out, though, thought it was fastened, must not be. How long after shut down did you remove it? Was there still oil in it? If you refer to my other thread, mine was dry after sitting about an hour.

Bob

On the R18A in the new Civics, the fitler mounts with the dome side down (threads up), so it was full of oil. Yours mount horizontal if I read your thread correctly?

One thing I did notice is that the ADBV is really thin
dunno.gif
. I don't even think the ADBV is really needed with the way mine is mounted?

Yes, it does seem to be a well constructed filter packed with thick media (looks syn blended as well with all the fibers sticking out of it).

Brian

looks the same as the ones i cut up 3 years ago or so, but that's good to see since they look decent. Someone's gotta keep those guys honest.

On the R18A in the new Civics, the fitler mounts with the dome side down (threads up), so it was full of oil. Yours mount horizontal if I read your thread correctly?

One thing I did notice is that the ADBV is really thin
dunno.gif
. I don't even think the ADBV is really needed with the way mine is mounted?

Yes, it does seem to be a well constructed filter packed with thick media (looks syn blended as well with all the fibers sticking out of it).

Brian

Yes, mine mounts horizontally, I have a D15B7. So a functioning ADBV is imperative!!

How many miles were on that filter you cut open? Seemed pretty clean to me, I had two filters, one had 20 minutes and one had 500 miles, I forgot which one I cut, think it was the one I ran for 20 minutes while flushing with Redline.

It is printed on the filter can who makes it. If the part # ends with A01 it is the Filtech and A02 is the Fram.

IIRC the Honda/Fram filter is of decent quality. Have read on this forum that it uses a decent filtering media and a silicon ADBV. There are pics somewhere. Dont have time to search right now. Go ahead and use it, your car will be just fine.

Ok thanks for the info. I live in Canada and around here we dont have much selection. Everywhere I go all I see is fram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back