cut open my Fram filters NO pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures here, but had to tell you about the filters anyway. I cut open my Ph3600 (orange can) that was on my 98 mustang 3.8. Although it was only on for 1000 miles and 1 year, it was exceptional inside in my opinion. All pleats were straight as an arrow, and no wide spacing around the splice. Of course the anti drainback and bypass were the same as the ultra. Then I opened the 7317 ultra, that was on my 17 Nissan 4.0 for 1.5 years and 3000 miles. It of course looked like a new filter and could probably gone another couple years .
I know these had very little use, but both I am sure could have gone much much longer and still been ok. Even the orange can one.
I replaced the ultra with another ultra, but replaced the orange one with a TG. I am thinking that the TG might have been a waste of money but oh well.

I replaced the filter on my diesel aswell. it went 32k miles and 3 years. Other than being coloured by soot, it looked like day 1 aswell. This isn't always the case as I found with customers whose oci is a bit longer than it should be. Some filter cartridges look like coca-cola bottles...

I've been running Fram oil filters since I started driving in the 60's. I've never had an issue with any of them.... Ever.

Mostly I'll buy the orange can, but if they have the better grades, (Tough Guard, Ultra Guard, or whatever guard), I'll buy those as well. I change oil & filter together, all the time, every time.

Sorry, I don't know how to post pictures here, but had to tell you about the filters anyway. I cut open my Ph3600 (orange can) that was on my 98 mustang 3.8. Although it was only on for 1000 miles and 1 year, it was exceptional inside in my opinion. All pleats were straight as an arrow, and no wide spacing around the splice. Of course the anti drainback and bypass were the same as the ultra. Then I opened the 7317 ultra, that was on my 17 Nissan 4.0 for 1.5 years and 3000 miles. It of course looked like a new filter and could probably gone another couple years .
I know these had very little use, but both I am sure could have gone much much longer and still been ok. Even the orange can one.
I replaced the ultra with another ultra, but replaced the orange one with a TG. I am thinking that the TG might have been a waste of money but oh well.

So you're reporting that the filters were okay and that is it? I thought I was going to get some juicy post about how at least one of the filters had media tears or an ADBV got sucked into the engine or get a cardboard rant.

I haven't been this disappointed since I paid to see The Last Jedi at the movieplex ☹️

Isn’t the response “no pictures or it didn’t happen?” (joking). Very true, by and large all the internet wringing of hands over somone’s unlucky purchase is not going to be true for everyone, or even a small portion of everyone. How easy it is for influencers to play in this playground. Influencer, a new term it seems since it so common now.

Isn’t the response “no pictures or it didn’t happen?” (joking). Very true, by and large all the internet wringing of hands over somone’s unlucky purchase is not going to be true for everyone, or even a small portion of everyone. How easy it is for influencers to play in this playground. Influencer, a new term it seems since it so common now.
But see, here's the thing. An untorn filter result is just as much an "influencer" as a torn one. Both are just data points. Unless of course only one result fits in with your playground.

I think even the old farnsworth or goodtimes would have understood that.

Just change them at every oil change, and you won't have to worry if they're torn or not. Because even if they are, they'll be coming off twice as fast, than if you pushed them for 2 oil changes.

Dirty underwear only gets worse when you wear it 2 days, instead of just one. :D

Just change them at every oil change, and you won't have to worry if they're torn or not. Because even if they are, they'll be coming off twice as fast, than if you pushed them for 2 oil changes.

Dirty underwear only gets worse when you wear it 2 days, instead of just one. :D
Did I miss where he said he's using the filter for two OCI? Dirty underwear and all.

It's a standard by some owner's manuals to use an oil filter for more than one oil change.

And it say's to use 0W-16 oil as well.
Apples to oranges. Some manufacturers were saying to use an oil filter for 2 OCIs way before there was ever 0W-16. Oil viscosity use is driven by CAFE, but oil filter use is not.

Last edited:
My point is, it is pretty much meaningless what a, "manufacturer recommends". Don't forget about all of their "lifetime fluids". That has nothing to do with CAFE either. But it's still idiotic.

My point is, it is pretty much meaningless what a, "manufacturer recommends". Don't forget about all of their "lifetime fluids". That has nothing to do with CAFE either. But it's still idiotic.
How is it meaningless? In this instance with an oil filter that is an entirely reasonable suggestion. Or do you think random recommendations from the Internet are more meaningful than what the builder of the vehicle recommends?

How is it meaningless? In this instance with an oil filter that is an entirely reasonable suggestion. Or do you think random recommendations from the Internet are more meaningful than what the builder of the vehicle recommends?
If I thought that all manufacturer recommendations were based on providing the best long term serviceability for me as the consumer, then I would follow them to the T. Unfortunately, manufacturers have competing interests that do not always align with mine. Sales, marketing, warranties, dealers, EPA, federal regulators, etc all have their stake in what the manufacturer communicates to customers. So I read things with a little grain of salt.

That said, I don't think skipping oil filter changes every other time is a huge deal if one doesn't use el cheapo filters.

Spare me. Saying that transmission fluid is good for a "lifetime", is both ridiculous and stupid. Yet several manufacturers say exactly that. It has nothing to do with, "random Internet recommendations". It's common sense. Transmission fluid is NOT designed to last a "lifetime".

A person applying that same common sense has good reason to be skeptical of anyone who tells them that. Especially a manufacturer. Once you have been made skeptical of one recommendation, why would you trust others they make as holy writ? I wouldn't and don't.

Pushing oil filters beyond one use, only because the "manufacturer recommends it" becomes meaningless. I recommend otherwise. You do what you feel comfortable with.

I've cut open many filters from my old Honda (and the Toyotas for that matter) and even my old 1MZ-FE doesn't exhibit much of anything in the filter pleats. An engine that is running reasonably well without coolant leaks and so forth isn't going to come anywhere near loading a filter to the bypass point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back