Cut open Motorcraft oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
talker, no offense meant but your posts regularly make me laugh. I think your camera needs to put on my reading glasses. The backgrounds of the filter are in perfect focus. A camera with presbyopia.
LOL.gif

Interesting technique of opening the filter. There's a thread here that where a poster opened the the dome end of the filter using what seemed to be a can opener. Perhaps later I'll see if I can find it.

The FL-820S is a quality Purolator made filter. Agree with OVERK1LL, you should have used another one. FYI, the "orange seal" is the silicone anti-drainback valve. Top quality.

Just curious, what efficiency does the Microguard say on the box?

Interesting Towncar. Thanks for posting pics.

96% efficiency.

I just got back from the eyedoctor.

He said you cant get glasses for a camera.
frown.gif

grin2.gif

Is that a cat lying there on the dash?
shocked2.gif

BTW - Nice looking car. My brother has one that he picked up for a song, and just loves it.

MC filters are tough to beat, fer sure!!

http://www.p71interceptor.com/misc/fl820s/

Guys, I am absolutly blown away that for ONCE Ford did not cheap out on this one. It truly was to address the issue of length and not to cut costs.

I cut both media's off and stretched them out completely. It is 13 pleats more in length on the newer shorter filter. It is also glued tighter to the end caps. The seam also remained 100% flat and straight for this 3,300 with no evidance of seperation. So I say this filter is as good as the original in every way. No other construction has changed.

Ford must still plan to use it under warranty because the quality is still top notch.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
Originally Posted By: Fordiesel69
http://www.p71interceptor.com/misc/fl820s/

"Efficiency @ 20 Microns = 80%"

That doesn't seem that good IMO. I would have expected 90 ~ 95%.
frown.gif

Good point busa, but you might want to go back and re-read the mindspring /ed white filter study . I have a feeling MC really lowballed it based on this quote by the "study guy". LOL.

"Whether price is a major factor or not, the Motorcraft FL820S Filter is near the top of my list for a filter to be used on a Ford product. Motorcraft does not claim the FL-820S has a particularly good efficiency rating, but to my eye the filter material is the same type as the Purolator PL24651 Filter or any of the “premium” filters with the cellulose/synthetic media. The Ford Racing Filter is clearley a "better" version of the FL-820S, but I don't think it is enough better to justify the much higher cost - at least for a properly maintained stock street vehicle."

Though I don't think users were going to give up on the FL820-S in droves it is good to know they delivered on what the new box says. I can still find the longer version at AAP.

IMO, still a quality made Purolator product.

You just need to use your camera's macrofocus option (most all digital cameras have this) and it'll take very sharp photos up-close; otherwise, it'll always focus on the background like those shots. Even though it's out-of-focus though I can still tell it's quality filter. Especially for lasting 1.5 years
55.gif
nice car too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back