[Cut Open] Mahle OC977/1 Virgin (Volkswagen 04E 115 561 H Equivalent)

Color me not too Impressed.

OC977-1a.jpeg

OC977-1b.jpeg

OC977-1c.jpeg

OC977-1d.jpeg

OC977-1e.jpeg

OC977-1f.jpeg

OC977-1g.jpeg

OC977-1h.jpeg

OC977-1i.jpeg

OC977-1j.jpeg

OC977-1k.jpeg

OC977-1l.jpeg

OC977-1m.jpeg

OC977-1n.jpeg

Is the media wire or plastic mesh backed?

I wonder if the ADBV is nitrile or silicone. Needs a burning. I wouldn't bother paying a premium price for a non-synth media nitrile ADBV filter made in.... nevermind.

Sub OE quality? or still an unknown?

My OE filter for the VW has a silicone ADBV and a wire backed full synthetic media, rated for that abusive 10k/508 interval with TGDI. If it doesn't have those traits, it is not an OE quality filter.

Sub OE quality? or still an unknown?

My OE filter for the VW has a silicone ADBV and a wire backed full synthetic media, rated for that abusive 10k/508 interval with TGDI. If it doesn't have those traits, it is not an OE quality filter.
the VW-Mann cartridge filter rated to 30,000 km isn't impressive either. Just a cellulose filter, good enough for my old TDI and FSI-turbo. The canister filter for my old CCTA TSI is nothing special either.

Even the R8 V10 cartridge filter element looks nothing special.... no wire backed media.

1675721530207.png

To address the questions:

I don't feel it is enough cheaper than the Mann (Mann/Hengst/VW "H") made offerings to justify the differences or COO.​
It isn't all bad:

• It is hard to tell for sure but i'm pretty sure it has the same mesh backed media as the Mann filters.
  • If you have to have louvres - this could take most of the US made filters to school - they look like older Motorcraft louvres.

An interesting point, it is either coated or painted inside the can - I'm not sure if that is good or bad.

I’d use that before I’d use some other Chinese filters. Goes to prove what Trav says - the Chinese can make good things, if it’s someone else doing the QC.

Back