[Cut Open] FRAM Force FF7317 (Virgin)

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
And my reply was that it's not the same filter as claimed by the prior poster.

It isn't the same filter PERIOD!

Wow such anger.

It does look like the same filter to me as well. If the media is the same what makes it so different?

Good times.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Wow such anger.

It does look like the same filter to me as well. If the media is the same what makes it so different?

Good times.

Go and read a couple post up.

I'm not angry, I'm frustrated that people would rather pontificate and speculate than read see and understand.

Originally Posted by kschachn

Wow such anger.

Good times.

I agree, someone needs to chill out. We are talking oil filters here and that is not a reason to bite multiple people's heads off. I only mentioned the Fram Titanium after other people did, no finger wagging for them though
31.gif

From my chat with Fram. Again, I'm talking just about the media ... not the other differences between the lines.

Me: Thanks, I knew about the inlet holes and base gasket changes on the Titanium. Since the efficiency rating and use mileage ratings are the same, is the actual media material the same between the Fram line and the AAP line? That's what I'm interested in knowing. Or is the AAP filters using a different media design, but happen to have the same efficiency rating?

Fram: The media is the same, the differences in the 2 are the improved oil flow in the force over the Tough Guard, and the titanium has improved oil flow and the new perfect seal gasket also over the Ultra synthetic.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

From my chat with Fram. Again, I'm talking just about the media ... not the other differences between the lines.

Me: Thanks, I knew about the inlet holes and base gasket changes on the Titanium. Since the efficiency rating and use mileage ratings are the same, is the actual media material the same between the Fram line and the AAP line? That's what I'm interested in knowing. Or is the AAP filters using a different media design, but happen to have the same efficiency rating?

Fram: The media is the same, the differences in the 2 are the improved oil flow in the force over the Tough Guard, and the titanium has improved oil flow and the new perfect seal gasket also over the Ultra synthetic.

I completely understand what you're talking about.

The claim that I replied to was that:

This is a simple repackaging of two products, you all are thinking waaaay to much into this.

That is a complete falsehood.

I completely understand what you're talking about.

The claim that I replied to was that:

This is a simple repackaging of two products, you all are thinking waaaay to much into this.

That is a complete falsehood.

I never claimed it was "a simple repackaging of two products" (that was someone else - so why reply to me with that) - and yes, they are not exactly the same as Fram explained in a chat session. I always clarified that I was talking about only the media. Anyway, from what Fram said it sounds like the media is the same.

And DuckRyder ... thanks for cutting open the two new Frams from AAP. It's always is good to see what filters look like before they are used.

Thanks DuckRyder.
May The Force be with my Hyundai 2.4GDI next year. Depends on the size of the tube holes. The inlet holes are showing large.
I'll grab a pocket flashlight and take a look down the tube tomorrow. I can walk to my nearest Advance Auto. I'll leave the dog home.

[Linked Image from rangerxlt.com]

TG and FF tapping plate (the same as near and i can tell

FF tapping plate

TG tapping plate

TG and FF media at seam (54 pleats for FF and a metal seam clamp vs 48 pleats and a glued seam for TG)

Media color looks a bit different too, but hard to say if that really means it's different, or the color varies with different lots of media. The on-line chat with Fram did say the media was the same (maybe he was just meaning the same efficiency?). Fram saying the TG had a "higher flow rate" (meaning less delta-p) might just be from more pleats/media area. If the pleat depth and length are the same, 6 more pleats gives 12.5% more flow area. Thanks for the side-by-side.

Media color looks a bit different too, but hard to say if that really means it's different, or the color varies with different lots of media. ...

The media is a different color without question. That TG has been cut for a while, bit it has been in its box, inside another box so I doubt it hass changed that much due to aging. It also looks the same in the original pictures when it was fresh.

Last edited:
The Force media looks thicker. Maybe it isn't, or just the fold is less creased on it. The "cardboard" looks thicker too. Personally not a fan of those end caps on either or the look of it in general.

Back