Cut open ford factory oil filter F150 5.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend changed the oil in his 2018 F150 with a 5.0. This was the factory fill with 5500 miles. I'd never cut open the factory oil filter before. It definitely looked different than anew FL500S I have laying around. My friend says he saw some glitter in the oil but I didn't really see anything too much. Not like his newly rebuilt lightning engine. That thing looks like glitter spray paint

D0A5D126-5133-42CD-B590-DF5E03FD75F1.jpeg

D3688A79-AD77-4967-A358-1927978A3268.jpeg

760D6E2F-EE13-4DD0-A29B-A566E7C5FB18.jpeg

FC39743C-7809-4290-A226-78B82C3F0239.jpeg

CFB108B4-400F-464E-858F-4FE19B99A218.jpeg

B3B67690-8657-4BB2-99D0-5C020ECD7ED4.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Is the country of origin printed on the can?

It did not. It did have a date of 2/6/18 though....

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I bet WIX is still making them as I cut a few that were WIX made

The base plate does like like a WIX.

what is the best way to cut into an oil filter? Will a utility knife cut through the canister? Or do you use some other special tool?

Originally Posted by cdlamb
what is the best way to cut into an oil filter? Will a utility knife cut through the canister? Or do you use some other special tool?

There is a special oil filter cutting tool out there. Runs anywhere form 40-80 depending on where you order. Just ordered one on eBay for 50 (shipping included in the price) from JEGS. I would imagine though an exhause cutter would be just as good.

Definitely a Wix made filter with their typical thread end bypass design. Not the best looking one I've seen either. Some waviness doesn't bother me, but don't like the angled point pleat appearance. Cut open many Napa Gold (same filter) never had one with pleats like that. That said, looks to have gotten job done.

Some time ago filter(s)posted showing that Wix had gotten the FoMoCo factory filter contract.

I'd think some "glitter" not that unusual in FF drain.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Definitely a Wix made filter with their typical thread end bypass design. Not the best looking one I've seen either. Some waviness doesn't bother me, but don't like the angled point pleat appearance. Cut open many Napa Gold (same filter) never had one with pleats like that. That said, looks to have gotten job done.

Some time ago filter(s)posted showing that Wix had gotten the FoMoCo factory filter contract.

I'd think some "glitter" not that unusual in FF drain.

Thanks for c&p.

Thanks sayjac
smile.gif

At least 2 people know that the filter is WIX made
smile.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

At least 2 people know that the filter is WIX made
smile.gif

Make that 3.
I feel a little sad that I knew that.
Baseplate, thread end bypass and ADV told me it was Wix made.

I do find it interesting that the "Factory" FoMoCo filter is Wix, but the "OEM" Motorcraft is Purolator.

I do find it interesting that the "Factory" FoMoCo filter is Wix, but the "OEM" Motorcraft is Purolator.
Before Wix got the FoMoCo contract, Champ Labs (lastly as part of Fram/Champ alliance) had it and off the shelf OEM Motorcraft was made by Purolator. My speculation would be, two different contracts go out for bid. I don't see much beyond that.

Originally Posted by blupupher

Make that 3.
I feel a little sad that I knew that.
Baseplate, thread end bypass and ADV told me it was Wix made.

So does the factory filter say Wix?
.... or does it say Motorcraft?
....... or neither?

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I'm surprised at the waves in the paper media with such low miles.

does wavy filter media indicate:
oil starvation?
filter bypass?
filter reached holding capacity?

Calvin

Originally Posted by cdlamb
Originally Posted by Mr Nice
I'm surprised at the waves in the paper media with such low miles.

does wavy filter media indicate:
oil starvation?
filter bypass?
filter reached holding capacity?

Calvin

No
No ... and
No

Wavy pleats usually mean absorption of water which makes the media "grow" some, and since the pleats are captured between the end caps, they will bend as they grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back