[Cut Open] Champ PH2808 - Torn Pleat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bud_One

Site Donor 2022
This was a surprise to me.
Filter is the same as the AC Delco PF1127 - pic of it for comparison.
I purchased these filters on sale from Rockauto for $1.49@ a few months ago.
Ran a little less than 5k miles over 4 months time with PYB 5W30.
My best theory on it's failure is that I have less than a one mile trip to the freeway and it wasn't up to cold oil thickness when I have to merge onto the freeway .
But the coldest it's been here so far in the morning was around 27F.
21.gif

You cut it open wrong. The filter was over-utilized. I don't see your filter cutter license. This means nothing.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
You cut it open wrong. The filter was over-utilized. I don't see your filter cutter license. This means nothing.
grin.gif

thumbsup2.gif
grin.gif

And 901Memphis - yes I did - like my pops says - "live and learn don't just live"

I have always avoided those really cheap filters on Rockauto they always seen kinda sketchy. I wonder if age was a contributing factor because Rockauto clearances old stock and we know cellulose breaks down over time and even becomes brittle.

Is there a clearer shot of the date code?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I have always avoided those really cheap filters on Rockauto they always seen kinda sketchy. I wonder if age was a contributing factor because Rockauto clearances old stock and we know cellulose breaks down over time and even becomes brittle.

Looks like date code stamping of 06/05/06 (Jun 5, 2009) on the dome. I was also thinking the media might be brittle from age. Plus, it looks like they were taking lessons on very wide pleat spacing to induce tearing media on that one.

I'd let UCI-FRAM know.

Here's Champion Lab's contact info at the FRAM bat cave.

[email protected]

That filter is likely the same as a STP with a different paint job.

There are a lot of folks on here that have zero tolerance for tear type failures. They wrote Purolator off based on a double handful of photos like this.

Maybe it's UCI-FRAM's turn in their hate spouting spotlight. Let's see if the knife cuts both ways.

Was Champ = Fram 10 years ago? - I doubt it. That's when this filter was made.

"Double handful" = about 80 to 90 reported tears. Lots of fingers on those hands.
wink.gif

I paid $1.49 for it.. .it's purged old stock.
I'm not pointing fingers at anyone.
Had I known it was from 09' , I would of never used it.
I have too many other new filters in my stash that I should of used.
Lesson learned.

STP has 2 grades of oil filters. The S followed by the filter number and SXL followed by the filter number. I know for certain the S2 is an eCore design. A good filter for conventional oil change intervals. The SXL2 has metal end caps, dome end bypass and a silicone ADBV suitable for 10000 mile synthetic oil changes.

I bought a couple of the Champ rockauto filters with my last order b/c it didn't add to the shipping and they were all e-cores, not metal center tube like this one. Weird. It was an FL820s equivalent.

Originally Posted By: KingCake

I bought a couple of the Champ rockauto filters with my last order b/c it didn't add to the shipping and they were all e-cores, not metal center tube like this one. Weird. It was an FL820s equivalent.

After discovering the Motorcraft FL820S tears and has rust, I bought 5 Champ PH820 from RockAuto just to get the shipping costs down. These were wholesale closeouts so there is no manufacturer warranty. You have 30 days to return if you want.

New Champ PH820 cut & post

These filters have really nice pleat spacing but they have the old cage design. The filters are 2 years old.

I am still debating whether I want to run them using conventional oil and 5000 mile OCI. Since it rarely freezes here, I think these may just be AOK.

I am guessing they may be better than a Motorcraft FL820S that tears.

It seems these filter makers are rushing the production of the filters at the $4 price point.

Thanks for the cut & post. That is good info...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: car51
Lil' off topic, but I have a AC DELCO like the virgin one you cut and its FRAM made. Stay tuned

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: car51
Lil' off topic, but I have a AC DELCO like the virgin one you cut and its FRAM made. Stay tuned

I am looking forward to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back