Custom homemade motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a thought, but if I offered a custom made lubricant you mix at home based on a recipe you would buy.... specifically designed for your machine and conditions what would it be worth to you ? The ingredients would have to be easily procured and not hazardous.
grin.gif

It would NOT be API certified but would exceed that weak standard.

IE, what would I/we pay for a recipe? Like, mix X qts SL maxlife/SS7KSB/? w/Y oz of glitzfarb and Z.5 oz of whosis & 1/2 qt of whatsis, & use XYZ or ABC filters whenever possible? I dunno, but if you come up with a winner, send me an email & a price!
dunno.gif
If it showed *very* low wear #'s in several engines, I'd risk $10-$15 in a heartbeat! More? Work it up, run some wear analysis, & we'll talk!
worshippy.gif

Terry, Wow !!! I'd be highly interested in this. Moly is an important ingredient to me. That is why I am now using Schaeffers. I don't know what price the market would bear. Schaeffers is a pretty good deal at the present time.

Terry,

I think its one heck of an entrepenuer idea. Maybe we could work together on the chemistry part, or if you decide to go it alone, I understand that too! (Too many cooks in the kitchen???)

However, I would recommend a good legal waiver statement delineating responsibilities. Just an observation about our over litigous society.

I'll be in touch when I decide to rock with it, I am not a chemist. Thanks for the offer. Warning well received as Johnny had same advice.

I'm with snakeman.

If you come up with something, I would try it in my '86 Burb.

One caveat, I would like to know something about the chemistry of the ingredients and
would sign a nondisclosure agreement if necessary.

Sorry, I'm just anal about oil chemistry!

Interesting responses, krholm will supply the venom!
Actually this has been an idea I have toyed with for some time. I'm the only oil analysis person selling directly to the customer so why not help them build there own oil?

I would disclose the chemistry and have the components easily procurable almost anywhere. Yes you would take some off the shelf products to make it. I would have to discuss/tailor to your situation because one oil formulation does not work well in every machine.

The big issue is cost and keeping it low. Also our consult would have to be proprietary between the customer and me to limit any liability.

I'll let you guys know when I get all those things worked out.

Thanks for the response so far.

Is Auto-Rx a possible ingredient....

I would definitely be interested if we can get as detailed stats as Schaeffer provides

Sorry Bob
frown.gif

How bout letting us know what ingredients are likely?

PAO, Esters, Moly, Group II, Group III?

Make sure you put in a good color and smell for the oil sniffers
gr_eek2.gif

Or is this a dead thread
frown.gif

Terry,
Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm just going to state what's on my mind here.

I'm a little concerned about this for a couple of reasons.

1- the obvious, no api certification

2- cost of testing for long term effects on
corrosion, wear,and general all around
astm tests to establish it's over all ability
although the analysis would be an excellent
start.

3- You will be mixing your oils and not blending.
Blending is what is done under certain
controled heated conditions, giving you a
more blended result where as, take something
like stp, it will seperate or coragulate more
in some areas than in other area. This is due
to mixing more so than blending. Blending is
what oil companies do to manufacture a
consistant suspended lubricant. This is one
reason why you'll find some oils and
additives that tend to have a seperation
problem where the blending process was not
properly done.

4. These are just some of the basic reasons I
have and there is a couple more which I
have.

There is no question that a super lubricant can be made, but then the question of price comes to play as you'd obviously want to incorporate say a top knotch actual full synth like synlube for example, some type of barrier additives (combination of zddp's, moly,soluble type of other additive) then touch it up with say some of the auto rx. Ad all that to this type of combination and what I see is a high price experiment. Sorry Terry, just think there would have to be more to this than just a witches mix(oh, btw, they too use a heated source to blend their brew).

I myself don't want to see a bunch of people going out and trying to substitute something you suggest and since not available where ever, then put something else in its place as well, then really causing problems for them, and then again, maybe liability would become an issue in light of the fact that it doesn't matter, right or wrong, some still will push the panic button and yell fowl!.

Terry,

No disrespect to you, but I have been watching your posts for a long time back when bob's board was in the old format. I'm not one to say much as this is my first post and I'm not going to get into any conflict over this but I had to say something since Bob hasn't.

I remember you stating a while back that you do not sell oil and was not in the oil business, but by what you are doing here, isn't that promoting selling an oil. Seems that you are directly competing with the others here that are in the oil sales business, especially when I saw some of the schaeffers guys wanting to see this it hit me.

I've maintain a high respect for your ethics as you have been really straight with people the whole time, but what I'm seeing is a conflict of interest with the ones that are supporting the site.

It's something that I've observed from a distance and thought maybe you might consider how this effects your reputation which you have done an excellent job of establishing and maintaining, but this appears to be an ethic problems from where I see it. Would you not agree?

Again, really like what you do and I have always admired your commitment to call it like you see it and I hope you understand I'm calling it like I see it.

Kirt.

What's wrong with blending, mixing, formulating, or concocting your on motor oil ?

API certification? Who cares? Not me. Give me the good stuff.

When it's all said and done it won't be much different than people who brew their own beer. It will cost more but the guy had a bit of fun doing it. That's what makes life worth living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back