Custom Floormats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Needed some decent floormats for the Civic with winter coming up. I like the custom fit all season rubber mats, but $100+ per set is more than I wanted to spend. GF bought some cheap clear plastic generic floormats when she got the car, but they slid around and didn't protect much. So here's what I did:

Went to the local big box hardware store. Bought two cheap 26" x 5' indoor/outdoor rugs. Car interior carpet is gray, so I bought gray rugs. Rugs are the real heavy duty type of weave, almost like a plastic fiber. Backing is the rubber type of material. No edging/border, just the top fiber and backing.

Came home, pulled the OEM floormats out as templates. Using a sharpie I carefully traced the floormat onto the backing of the rug. Then used a box cutter to cut out the tracings. After cutting them out I used a scissors to trim up any loose fibers around the edges.

Put em' in the car, and they look awesome. Fits perfectly, covers the OEM floormats 100%, doesn't look gaudy at all. The rugs have enough weave to soak up any and all snowy, salty winter slop that comes along. Non skid backing means they don't slide around. Unlike generic fit mats, it actually covers 100% of the floor. Can be hosed off or thrown away when they get grungy.

Total parts cost - $13.10 ($6.55 each) Two rugs were enough to do front and back mats

Labor - about 15 minutes worth of work

Tools required - box cutter, marker, and scissors

Hey, looks good and beats spending $100+ for the really nice rubber all-season mats.

Next project: make a trunk carpet covering out of similar material.

Sams and others have winter floor mats that hold melting snow and ice for maybe $30. They have small sections on either side you can cut off to make floor mat smaller. I end up using them year round.

That's a great idea AT. I bought a set of those thick, heavy and EXPENSIVE custom-fit, ribbed rubber mats years ago for my Cherokee. Nasty wintertime salt water would just slosh around on them and ultimately spill over and get absorbed by the carpeting underneath. There was no way for it to dry under those mats and I didn't notice it until it got all nice and stanky. Needless to say, I no longer use a mat that can't breathe.

Joel

I'm doing the same thing as AcuraTech, except sewing/nailing the custom cut mat on the OEM worn out one to avoid slipping away. The bad thing is I got the thick rug so it was flattened more than the OEM, if you get the thin rug it should work better.

Indoor outdoor mats allow water to go through.
They actually are open weave mesh in back. If you have non leaking types, that's great - it's the only way I would do it.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Indoor outdoor mats allow water to go through.
They actually are open weave mesh in back. If you have non leaking types, that's great - it's the only way I would do it.

Nope, these have rubber type backing.

To help keep the inside of my vehicle dry, (during Winter and
parked Inside garage).
I will leave the window open 2 inches to allow the inside moisture to evaporate.
I also pull the drivers floor mate out and hang it up to drip dry.
Floor inside of vehicle is always dry and I feel it reduces any corrosion under dash.

Last edited:
This_thread_is_worthless_without_pictures.jpg

Costco has the deep molded rubbery ones for about $15. They are univeral and oversize for most vehicles, but have multiple low contours to allow trimming for your specific vehicle. I've used them on several vehicles and after trimming they fit pretty good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back