"Cushion" of a more viscous motor oil worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Japan has been using 0w16 for some time now.

You stop that right this instant.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Is it a thing here now to attack someone you disagree with for offering "no data or proof". Then state your own opinion with not only no data, or proof, but frankly WRONG data!

If we're talking about Japanese sourced OEM's, I believe the vast majority now recommend a 0/5W-20 in the home islands. Korea? IDK And Euro manufacturers clearly have no problem mandating thicker oils in the U.S. despite the evil, green liberal CAFE monster. Who else manufactures cars we care about?..

Japan has their own version of CAFE, which is even more stringent that the CAFE in the USA. I posted links about it a while ago in another thread.

Which has nothing to do with my point....

But if anyone is worried about what is recommended in their Honda Accord in The Philippines, by all means...

My response was to your comment of: "If we're talking about Japanese sourced OEM's, I believe the vast majority now recommend a 0/5W-20 in the home islands."

So to translate, the reason Japan recommends 0/5W-20 in Japan is because of the strive to meet their own "CAFE" rules.

I wasn't responding to you. I was responding to another poster that kept that old chestnut going that "the rest of derp world uses derp thicker oils than us and it's all a conspiracy!" In fact, they DON'T! You can insert all of the caveats you want. But it still hasn't any bearing on what I said...

I wonder what's being discussed on Fritzistheoilguy. You think some of them may be longing to use lower viscosity oils because the west and Japan are leading the way?
21.gif

Why does it have to be we're always in the wrong and the grass is greener...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wemay
I wonder what's being discussed on Fritzistheoilguy. You think some of them may be longing to use lower viscosity oils because the west and Japan are leading the way?
21.gif

I'm wondering how many readers are now searching for "Fritzistheoilguy"?

21.gif

I'm wondering how many readers are now searching for "Fritzistheoilguy"?

lol.gif

Originally Posted by StevieC

lol.gif

I bet the drifters in Tokyo aren't using 16 or 20.

What did FCA do when it had a bearing issue with the eco diesel? Changed the oil spec up a grade from 30 to 40, why? Because they know what they are doing. Why can't they do the same thing in the hemi? Because they have sold a lie that the hemi mds needs 20 weight, and the gov't is up their tail on fuel economy. Roughly 1/2 of the hemi forum has guys running 30 weight or thicker w/o issue in mds because of the lubrication challenges facing hemi owners. Run what you want, if you like running near water thin oil in your car nobody cares. Maybe it will work, maybe not, you are all informed enough to make that call. After running 30 weight in the smooth hemi, I then ran 5w30 PUP in the toyota 4 banger, also so smooth, the rattle trap no more.

Originally Posted by Ifixyawata
I love to see reference to 'near water thin' oil.

Exactly, because he surely isn't biased. Lol

Bias or thick preference aside, it's seriously hypoerbole to compare any motor oil to water. I'd guess that there are quite a few people comparing the two that haven't even seen nor used anything below a 5w-30.

Surely cooking oil has to fall somewhere between the viscosity of thinner engine oils and water... right?

I think I will start referring to anything 10w-30 and higher as COCONUT OIL.

Bias or thick preference aside, it's seriously hypoerbole to compare any motor oil to water. I'd guess that there are quite a few people comparing the two that haven't even seen nor used anything below a 5w-30.

Surely cooking oil has to fall somewhere between the viscosity of thinner engine oils and water... right?

Unfortunately it's available only in thinner grades:

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...l-edge/edge-bio-synthetic-motor-oil.html

Originally Posted by nap

Unfortunately it's available only in thinner grades:

https://www.castrol.com/en_us/unite...l-edge/edge-bio-synthetic-motor-oil.html

What a TIME to be ALIVE! Coconut/Soybean/Palm Motor Oil

I look forward to this being the next NextGen oil because people are scared of "PLANT FOOD" in their car's engine. I am ready for it to flop and go on clearance. I'll gladly buy it up at $2/qt.

Last edited:
I thought about trying that oil. Might still do so if it drops in price a little.

My 2001 Toyota Celica with the 2ZZ-GE Yamaha / Toyota 1.8L high revving engine has 5w30 on the oil cap.

Lotus, who uses the exact same engine in their Elise recommends 5w40.

When I got the car earlier this year, I poured in 10w40 and haven't looked back. Engine runs awesome. Doesn't burn a drop of oil @ 208,000 miles and revving it sky high past 8,000rpm DAILY.

I've sheared the 10w40 into a 30 grade in only 1,500 miles of abuse. I can't imagine Toyota's recommended 5w30 (for economy reasons, obviously) now becoming 5w20 in the same situation, or worse. Sorry, Not acceptable to me.

I'll run the viscosity recommended for ENGINE PROTECTION, not tree hugging CAFE "save 0.1mpg" at the expense of engine life standards.

Originally Posted by StevieC

lol.gif

I bet the drifters in Tokyo aren't using 16 or 20.

That goes way back.

Originally Posted by Artem

I'll run the viscosity recommended for ENGINE PROTECTION, not tree hugging CAFE "save 0.1mpg" at the expense of engine life standards.

thumbsup2.gif
I like that statement, a lot!

The only problem is that it'll be "at the expense of engine life standards" on here perennially...even if it isn't...as long as it can generate another useless thick-thin thread with the usual blanket statements and us and them B.S.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back