Curt RockerBall Hitch

While researching trailer balls for my truck, I came across this new product from Curt called the “RockerBall.” It is supposed to be ideal for folks towing smaller trailers with surge brakes due to its dampening properties.

Does anyone have experience with this product?

Last edited:
I have no experience with this product, but have an opinion on it from lots of miles towing on a ball.

Most of the rattling and jerking when towing a bumper hitch trailer is from the ball mount moving (rattling) around in the receiver. A strong anti-rattle clamp, that keeps the ball mount from moving in the receiver, will make a big difference in the jerking and rattling. I have had surge brakes "bounce" when decelerating, but that we mostly because of the ball mount slopping around in the receiver.

This is a post I made at the RV site:

My $0.02

Make sure this kind of fancy trailer ball still has the needed rating you require.
do people tow over 7500lb with a 2" ball?

None of the antirattle clamps fit oem hitch on cherokee.. unless you want to take a multitool to the bumper.
can barely get the hitch pin in.. in fact I switched from the round locking end pin because it doesnt fit without scraping along the bumper.

When used with a normal class III hitch I really like the locking J-pin style.

I have no experience with this product, but have an opinion on it from lots of miles towing on a ball.

Most of the rattling and jerking when towing a bumper hitch trailer is from the ball mount moving (rattling) around in the receiver. A strong anti-rattle clamp, that keeps the ball mount from moving in the receiver, will make a big difference in the jerking and rattling. I have had surge brakes "bounce" when decelerating, but that we mostly because of the ball mount slopping around in the receiver.

My $0.02
Wayne, I always see those anti rattle clamps installed like the one in your picture, but shouldn’t it be installed the other way around? It’s holding the hitch “up” and the weight of the tongue is constantly pulling on the threads of the bolts. If it were flipped over, the receiver would be in its natural position of being held down, so less wear on the clamp in my mind.

Wayne, I always see those anti rattle clamps installed like the one in your picture, but shouldn’t it be installed the other way around? It’s holding the hitch “up” and the weight of the tongue is constantly pulling on the threads of the bolts. If it were flipped over, the receiver would be in its natural position of being held down, so less wear on the clamp in my mind.
Ideally, yes the clamp should pull down, but there isn't room to put the clamp in the other position. The bolts are grade 8 - 9/16" bolts, which have a clamping force of 16,000 lbs. They don't move when properly tightened.

[edit]

It just so works out that the weight distribution hitch I used (Propride), when hitched and tensioned, pulls up very hard, so the net force was up on rear of the hitch not down. The Propride was the hitch I used 95% of the time.

Last edited:

My $0.02
Interesting, thank you for the info and the tip.

I like it but the extra height was a dealbreaker
It does add an extra 1", so a 3" drop with this ball is really just a standard 2" drop. Although the Amazon reviews are positive, I spoke to a few people and have heard mixed feedback.

Truthfully, I have no plans to tow anything other than 2-4k utility trailers for short distances, so I doubt any of these items are truly necessary. However, since I plan to rent my trailers, perhaps having a hitch with an adjustable drop would be beneficial. For this reason, I think the Rebellion XD maybe the better choice.

My $0.02
I tow a sled trailer all over in winter(and now a boat in summer) , and had never heard of these. I saw one on a car at work, and though it was a great idea! This winter was so nice, no noise at all!

Since I do not need a drop hitch, this one was also brought to my attention:

It seems like this design might be more robust than the RockerBall, but I would need my tongue weight to be in the 400-700 lb range for the torsion flex feature to “activate.” I assume that achieving a tongue weight over 400 lbs might be a bit difficult for a 6X12 Uhaul trailer?

Back