Current thinking on Carquest Red

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did some searching and found a few short older threads on these. Know they're made by Wix for Carquest, but not "Wix" in the sense of being the equivalent to Wix branded filters. They seem to be a twin of the Napa PS (aka Napa Silver). Anyway I bought one for my upcoming OCI, as at under $3 a pop, they look to offer the best bang for the buck locally for an inexpensive but decent filter.

Wondering what others who use, or have used these, think of them and what length OCI you usually use them for. I have in mind a 6k OCI with it and some of my stash of PP (I know the oil can go longer, but my 1ZZ-FE likes to trash whatever its fed so 6k is reasonable for this oil and engine combo).

Thoughts?

IMO, Carquest red and Napa Silver or Gold could go up to 8K, if you were using Gold. The old Altima ran a Red for 8K, it was fine when I cut it open (Should have taken pics) Could have gone lomger. One of the best bangs for you buck, IMO

It's a very good filter for the price. I have used the CQ Red and ProSelect and never had any trouble with either one. I never ran one for an extended OCI though.

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
Did some searching and found a few short older threads on these. Know they're made by Wix for Carquest, but not "Wix" in the sense of being the equivalent to Wix branded filters. They seem to be a twin of the Napa PS (aka Napa Silver). Anyway I bought one for my upcoming OCI, as at under $3 a pop, they look to offer the best bang for the buck locally for an inexpensive but decent filter.

Wondering what others who use, or have used these, think of them and what length OCI you usually use them for. I have in mind a 6k OCI with it and some of my stash of PP (I know the oil can go longer, but my 1ZZ-FE likes to trash whatever its fed so 6k is reasonable for this oil and engine combo).

Thoughts?

The Car Quest Red is an OK filter but if I had a decent daily driver I would use a better filter, the Quaker State Filter is better at a decent price, I noticed you will be using PP, why a high quality oil and the insistence on a lower quality filter would two or three more dollars for a better filter set you back that much?

Toto.

Originally Posted By: Toto

The Car Quest Red is an OK filter but if I had a decent daily driver I would use a better filter, the Quaker State Filter is better at a decent price, I noticed you will be using PP, why a high quality oil and the insistence on a lower quality filter would two or three more dollars for a better filter set you back that much?

Toto.

Its not that clear cut here, as we just don't have the same selection here you guys do. Some options (like the Purolator Classic) either don't exist here, or have eluded my attempts to find them at the many different auto shops I've been too.

Here its either inexpensive or expensive on filter choices. There's no inbetween. The QS filter in my sig cost $7.99 when I decided to downgrade from the M1 filters that were costing $15 a pop. Napa Gold are priced at $11 and change. $10 and change for Carquest blue.

If there existed here a better option here for a few bucks more, I'd jump at it. There isn't, however. So the choice is this or the Napa PS (about a buck more for essentially the same filter), or spending 4-5x what I paid for CQ Red.

The PP I stocked up on last summer when WM was selling it for $4 a jug more than the everyday price of dino.

Hope that clears it up, and explains why I opted to go the route I have.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7

Toto.

Its not that clear cut here, as we just don't have the same selection here you guys do. Some options (like the Purolator Classic) either don't exist here, or have eluded my attempts to find them at the many different auto shops I've been too.

Here its either inexpensive or expensive on filter choices. There's no inbetween. The QS filter in my sig cost $7.99 when I decided to downgrade from the M1 filters that were costing $15 a pop. Napa Gold are priced at $11 and change. $10 and change for Carquest blue.

If there existed here a better option here for a few bucks more, I'd jump at it. There isn't, however. So the choice is this or the Napa PS (about a buck more for essentially the same filter), or spending 4-5x what I paid for CQ Red.

The PP I stocked up on last summer when WM was selling it for $4 a jug more than the everyday price of dino.

Hope that clears it up, and explains why I opted to go the route I have.

-Spyder

Spyder,

How many oil filters do you use? click on the IRL link this is where I order WIX filters from you can bulk together if you use other filters[air/transmission etc.]my only concern is you are in Canada I do not know if that matters or not for shipping let me know if this is any help.
http://fmsfilters.com/

Toto.

How many oil filters do you use? click on the IRL link this is where I order WIX filters from you can bulk together if you use other filters[air/transmission etc.]my only concern is you are in Canada I do not know if that matters or not for shipping let me know if this is any help.
http://fmsfilters.com/

Toto.

Shipping is the killer to Canada. I've bought from Rock Auto and paid the shipping premium, because the order was compact and light enough - yet costly enough - that I still saved a lot compared to buying in Canada.

I'm debating changing my plugs early, and if I go that route I can pick up a handful of $4 Bosch filters that'll up the order to the necessary $75 mark to get the free shipping from this Canadian source.

The plugs are Denso iridium, so they're about as expensive as it goes in terms of replacement and why I'm on the fence right now on replacing them early. Researched alternatives and found they were hit or miss with no way to know until you put them in (one of the 1ZZ-FE's eccentricities), while the OEM spec'd Denso plugs don't carry that peculiar hit-or-miss risk.

I also have a stash of QS GB I can substitute instead of the PP (I have a good stash of both) and use that instead with this filter over a 5k instead of 6k summer OCI, and that'll buy me some time to continue looking at other possibilities, while this filter and QS GB sees me through my upcoming OCI in the meantime.

Its probably more sensible too, to use the dino first where it has a shorter shelf life making the syn comparatively 'fresher' going in later on (next summer maybe - its 10w30 summer oil that my car is also spec'd for and all WM had left when I bought up what I could during the last days of that rollback).

-Spyder

Last edited:
Get NGK Iridiums / Iridium IX , they seem to be lasting a fair bit longer than the denso for fellow Acuraziners. I currently have IX Iridiums in my 3.2TL , stock were Denso Double Platinums. NGK are smooth throughout the rpm range , and the fuel efficiency hasnt been affected. Good plugs !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back