Current fill/filter and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1.) 06 Silverado 5.3: Havoline 5W-30 dino, AC Delco filters

Doesn't get driven much, so dino every 6 months regardless of miles is my best option...

2.) 08 Malibu 2.4: Castrol GTX 5W-30, Bosch Filter

On sale at Autozone...

Last edited:
Miata - Kendall GT-1 Full Syn 5W-30 with an AAP totalgrip filter (the filter because I had one left over).
SpecV - Castrol Syntec 5W-30 with a PureOne filter (the Castrol because I had some left over).
By this time next year, both will be on Kendall GT-1 Full Syn 5W-30 and PureOne filters. The oil has very good specs and is relatively inexpensive here in my area, and the PureOnes are great filters and have that anti-slip coating, especially important for the Miata.

Gary

'05 C6 Corvette - PP with AC Delco UPF44 filter
'04 Toyota Sienna - Mobil 1 0W-30 with Purolator filter
'06 BMW 525i - BMW 5W-30 synthetic and factory filter. Changed by dealer at too long an interval.
'04 Mazda RX 8 - Motorcraft 5W-20 (Conoco) synthetic blend with Purolator filter
'01 Chevy Lumina - YBP 5W-30 with Purolator filter

I'll move the Toyota and RX 8 to Pennzoil soon.

Right now the Toyota is the workhorse in the fleet and the M1 is delivering 1 mpg more than the YBP used during the previous 120,000 miles. Maybe PP will have a 0W-30 soon.

The Mazda is my 17 year old son's car and the Ford dealer where we bought it used the Motorcraft oil while it was on his lot. I'm thinking of Pennzoil High Mileage with extra seal conditioning for it.

Purolator and Pennzoil - you can't go wrong with that combination!!!

I just changed my oil today with more of the same steady diet of CP Super All-season synthetic blend 5w-20 and Mobil 1 filter. WE get mild winters with no snow but our summers are hot. My oil is UOA proven to go 5k miles and since my OLM/MMS is 5k-ish anyway, everyone wins!

Last edited:
I am currently using PP 5w-20 with a Wix filter in my 2007 Mazda 3 2.3L. The PP was buy one get one free and the Wix filter was $3.xx at the local Carquest at the time.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
Right now my current fill is:

5 litres Esso XD-3 Synthetic 0W-30 (CI-4) in a 1999 Malibu that's just under 100,000 miles. $5.99 Canadian a litre, PAO synthetic HDEO. It's the good stuff, thin when it's cold, thick when it's hot, shear stable and high additive. I have gone from driving 5,000 km a month to barely using a tank of gas a month in my personal car, so at 10,000 km OCI, this will probably last me a year.

Filter is Fleetguard StratoPore LF3554. Oversized filter for more capacity, although I overfilled the engine about 10 ounces to get all five litres in. The Fleetguard filter interested me because it seems quite similar to the media in Amsoil EaOs, so I bought it from Cummins. The thing is a beast, and it barely clears the back of my AC compressor.

What are you using and why?

Current Fill: Quaker State Horsepower 5W-30.

Why?: The dealership I have used for years shut down their Chevy shop. The Chevy dealership in the next town over I went to after that also shut down. That leaves the closest Chevy/GM dealer to me almost an hour away and they are 1st class JERKS who enjoy tormenting customers! The other 2 dealers had no issue with me running Royal Purple even though it is only API SL. I actually had already swapped the engine over to RP but swapped it out for the QS after the 2nd dealer shut down. Those 2 dealers realized it is excellent oil( ie; SL )and will not hurt the engine in anyway. Unfortunately, my manual calls for SM oil( API Starburst actually which means SM ). So, to avoid any hassle from the new dealership, with just 8K on a 2008 vehicle, I swapped over to QSHP which is both GM6094M approved and is SM. I always liked Quaker State oil so it was a good 2nd choice for me.

Filter: AC Delco

Why?: This engine seems to be very picky about filters or you get a lot of engine "clatter". Was running a Napa ProSelect and the engine sounded like it had no oil most of the time. Swapped back to the AC and noise went away immediately. I am going to try Bosch, Hastings, and STP filters to see what they do. May stay with the AC as they are cheap at WalmMart and AutoZone but I have never been a fan of them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

I am going to try Bosch, Hastings, and STP filters to see what they do. May stay with the AC as they are cheap at WalmMart and AutoZone but I have never been a fan of them.

AC Delco produces the Bosch and USA made STP filters, so you should be okay there. Look at them side by side next time you are at the store.

The USA made Super Tech Walmart filters are also made by AC Delco.

You'll find different filtering elements in the Bosch.

But if you're having success with the "real" AC Delco on this finicky engine, I would stay with it.

2005 Dodge Grand Caravan. Using Pennzoil Platinum 5W/20 and Wix filter. Prior usage was Havoline (vehicle used 3/4 qt in 1200 miles). Using PP, usage is 1/2 qt in 3k miles. UOA shows that PP holds up to fuel dilute based on my driving habits.

Will switch to SuperTech Synthetic this week due to price and another forum member's UOA on ST that shows good wear numbers.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
Originally Posted By: NHSilverado

I am going to try Bosch, Hastings, and STP filters to see what they do. May stay with the AC as they are cheap at WalmMart and AutoZone but I have never been a fan of them.

AC Delco produces the Bosch and USA made STP filters, so you should be okay there. Look at them side by side next time you are at the store.

The USA made Super Tech Walmart filters are also made by AC Delco.

You'll find different filtering elements in the Bosch.

But if you're having success with the "real" AC Delco on this finicky engine, I would stay with it.

Champion labs makes SuperTech and STP filters. Purolator makes Bosch filters.

Quote:
Champion labs makes SuperTech and STP filters. Purolator makes Bosch filters.

My 3312 Bosche is most definitely a Champion Labs product.

Champion Labs does not list Bosch as one of the companies they manufacture filters for (though I don't know if the list they provide on their site is complete).

They list:

1. Luber Finer
2. CHAMP
3. MOPAR
4. KLEENER
5. IMPERIAL XL
6. ECORE
7. STP
8. Motorcraft
9. mXm
10. K&N
11. Petro Clear
12. Deutsch
13. VW
14. TRD

Though we also know they make the M1 filters......

And there are obviously some crossovers, since many Chrysler and Ford filters are also Purolator filters......

I can think of several that aren't on that list off the top of my head (and with some Googling):

M1
Bosche
Valvoline
Valuecraft
Car and Driver
Motor Trend
Castrol
the Mexican AC Delco's
Service Champ
Supertech
Harley Davidson
Havoline
Trust
assorted Suzuki bike filters
Duralast
Goodyear
Quik-change
Service Pro
Tek
some Daewoo
Precision Tune

and I recall years back they also made the K-mart brand filters and Western Auto filters. Yes, K-Mart had their own filter that was white with a K-Mart logo on it. I have an old one laying around somewhere, if I could find it I'll post pics.

If some of these names don't ring a bell they're almost invariably the basic Champ design- go buy a Valuecraft from Autozone and half of them are the same design. They sell them bulk in a blank white can to a distributor, who then slaps a sticker (Autozone) or a paint job (Car and Driver) on it and sells it as his own.

It seems like Champ Labs has a quality ladder of basic design:

Bottom - Valuecraft style
Middle: Supertech/STP design
Top: Bosche/K+N/M1

09 Corolla - PP5w30 and Toyota OEM cartidge filter.
Why? The VVTi engine consumes oil when using 5w20 oils. When I made the switch at 1000kms to PP5w30, there was no mpg, no power loss, and no more consumption (North America is the only region that lists the CAFE suggested 20wt in the manual. Everywhere else states 30wt-50wt can be used. Currently 14,000kms, gets 50-54mpgImp(41-45mpgUS)

97 Suburban- (presently)Pennzoil YB 5w30 and ACDelco fiter.
Why? Its the recommended weight and filter. I have used Vavoline and Supertech and whatever else was on sale at the time also with no issues. Currently 285,000kms, still gets 23-25mpgImp(19-20mpgUS)

Last edited:
'08 Accord Coupe - 4 cyl. Mobil 1 5w-20 with a PureOne filter. The filters are readily available at my local Fleet Farm and the Mobil 1 gets me safely through the 10k OCI that my MM is suggesting.

Bosch 3323 - a fantastic premium filter, available very cheap. Synthetic filter medium, very tightly packed pleats, huge surface area, this is such a good filter that I only need to change it every other time.

Frankenmix!!!! Frankenmix is the best oil by far, because you can mix up a real semi synthetic with 50% synthetic, compared to 10-20% synthetic of the supposed thing they sell as "semi synth", you can mix a nice 5w25 which will work like a thin 5w30, a cSt of 9.4, which satisfies all of my psychiatric need to baby my car as much as possible, and my need to fix what is not broken. I always use whatever oil is on sale for the cheapest, and even SuperTech - both ST synth and ST dino are outstanding oils. Motor Craft 5w20 semi synth is a lovely oil for 1/2 of a Frankenmix 5w25. In the summer I usually go with 5w30, since it's a bit hotter, and cold pour point is not that important.
I have an older legacy that I bought used with piston slap already there, so that car gets a 10w30 in the summer, which does quiet the clatter down a little bit.

08 Forester, running PP5w30 with subie oem filter (toyo roki black one). Why? Because the PP was almost half price (and only $3 more then castrol gtx or similar dino) and I wanted a syn for the -20 -> -30 temps for the coming winter, and the sub filter is inexpensive for a quality filter ($7 at the dealer).

'03 Buick Park Avenue with 3.8L normally-aspirated Series II engine. I'm running PP 5W-30 with Purolator filter, plus 3 oz. of Auto-Rx (maintenance dose).

The PP was still on sale for $19 for 5 quarts at Wal-Mart then, and the Purolator was on sale at Advance Auto.

In April, I may go back to dino -- Formula Shell and a Wix filter, or the Castrol GTX plus Bosch filter special AutoZone has right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back