Current fill/filter and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2005 and 2006 Honda Elements and a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. I use Pennzoil Platinum in all three of them. Why, my avatar should explain that.

I use Amsoil EaO and EaA filters on all of them. Why, best I've tried as for as I'm concerned.

Oem spec PP 5-20. $19 WM jug. Filled to top line on dipstick. Alternate M1 and oem Honda filters so I can quickly check to see if the dealer really changed the filter. Oci is 6 mos Fall and Spring with apprx 3500 on oil per change. It's a good, medium priced, plan for me.

2006 Honda Pilot AWD 5w20 PP and Fram Extended Guard Filter
2004 Infiniti G35 5w-30 PP and Fram Extended Guard Filter
1999 Nissan Maxima 5w-30 PP and Mobil1 Extended Performance filter

I use PP because I have a big stash from the AAP BOGO sale. I also use Fram XG filters and Mobil1 filters because of my huge stash of them. The 3 vehicles use the same part # oil filters. All I do is reach in the box and grab one. Sometimes it's a Mobil1, sometimes Fram. The one I pull out is the one I use. I do 6k mile OCI's and use the same Mobil1 oil filter for two OCI's.

Pennzoil Platinum (PP) in a 2007 Malibu 3.5L and 2008 Cobalt 2.2L. Both have ACDelco Duraguard filters. PP seems like a great oil and has performed well so far. I use the Duraguard oil filters b/c I can get them from my Dad's shop back home, and they seem to work well and perform to spec for the vehicles (hopefully that doesn't change when GM sells ACDelco).

Originally Posted By: MGregoir

What are you using and why?

I'm quite consistent of my oil/filter usage, mainly because of:
  • For various reasons, car generally gets 1 year/5K OCI. I need a very stable, quality oil/filter combination for this reason.
  • OTT OEM specification compliance
  • HT/HS rating of oil

Also running Amsoil EaA202 air filter now, as well.

SM-rated 5w-30. Spec for my car. Any flavour. Currently on dino as it's the older of the stock on the shelf (and warranty requires 8000 km's /6 months - well within what any SM-stuff can do). That's the Yaris.

Sunfire was on 3k/3month PP changes. Last one was a year ago, before BITOG.

Just drained out the valvoline synpower 5W30 in my corolla and refilled with Amsoil 0W20 and a Mobil 1 M-103 filter. Going to run that through the winter and possibly change it out in May but will send in a sample and see if I can go further.

Reason: is what I picked out of the stash to run, and I want to use it up. I have too much oil as of now

Walmart 10W30 Dino because I am doing a clean phase with Auto-Rx. Will go PYB on the rinse phase because the Walmart stuff is not the deal it once was! Carquest (Wix) filter because I bought several of them when I had a change to get them for a shops cost and because they are good filters. Not sure what I will go to once I am done with the Rinse phase.

As per sig:

'00 Dakota 4.7l: Motocraft 10W30, annual OCI, only gets 1-2k miles per year, Motocraft oil is good stuff and cheap.

'02 Protege 2.0l: Castrol Euro 0W30, 7k OCI, daily driver, over 100k on it, used to run Motocraft also but switching to astrol Euro based on feedback from this board - want to give it a try, worst it can be is a horrbile mistake, car is only worth $5k or so.

'90 RX-7 13b n/a: GTX 20W50, 2k OCI. The GTX stuff is well-regarded for rotaries, holds it's viscosity well, drains golden-brown at 2k.

Napa Gold filters on all due to recommendations from this board
wink.gif

In my 2006 Corvette I use M1 5w30 with an AC Delco filter. It's what it came with from the factory and what it will go to it's grave with...many years from now.

In my wife's car, a 2006 Buick LuCerne with the Northstar engine I'm running 5w30 SuperTech with a SuperTech filter. It runs great, doen't use a drop between OCI's, and it's a good value for the money. On my next change I'll switch to Kendall 5w30 with a Firestone filter because I've got a $19.88 coupon from the Firestone Store, and that's what they use. I can get in and out of there fast and watch the guy do it. No mess, no fuss.

My car - 2003 Toyota Echo with 189,000 km - Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 with maintenance dose ARX with Purolator PureOne filter.

Wife's car - 2003 Hyundai Elantra with 115,000 km - currently Pennzoil 5w30 YB with Hyundai OEM filter on AutoRX rinse phase. Will be going to PP 5w30 + ARX maintenance dose and PureOne filter for next OC.

Reasons...stash of PP 5w30 on sale for $20/jug. Have been using OEM filters on both cars but switching over to either PureOne's or Wix from FleetFilter...both around the same price, haven't decided on a winner yet.

06 Nissan Titan
04 Nissan Frontier
00 Daewoo Leganza
98 Chrysler 300
98 Honda Accord

Mobil 1 10W-30 and Napa Gold filters in all. Makes life simple and exceeds all manufacturers specs.

2003 Navigator: Schaeffer's 5w20, Motorcraft Filter
2002 Accord: Schaeffer's 5w20, Wix Filter
2001 Grand Marquis: Amsoil 0w20, Motorcraft Filter
1985 Z28: Valvoline VR1 20W50, Wix Filter

Reasoning: Recommendations and experience. I always run Motorcraft filters on the modular engines, the anti-drainback valves on these filters work well and they are reasonably priced. Wix filters also seem to do a fine job for the money, I run them on Honda and Camaro with good results. As for engine oil, I usually run some sort of premium engine oil. I have had good results with Amsoil in the past, and recently started an experiment with Schaeffers. The Valvoline in the Camaro was the first fill after some engine work, I will probably change it to some sort of synthetic prior to the next season.

Royal Purple 15W40 w/Nissan OEM filter. I tried the RP out of sheer curiosity since alot of Z32 twin turbo owners use it and recommend it. Plus SpecialtyZ recommends it as well. Here`s a quote from their page:

Oil Recommendation
We highly insist on using nothing but the best for our Zs, so we choose to use synthetic oil. If you know anything about oil you know it's the best route to take. Don't forget that genuine Nissan Oil Filter too! We like to use Mobil 1 or Royal Purple oil in our personal cars. Due to the extreme heat turbo cars make, it's not a bad idea to use thicker oil (15w50).

Anyway,I`ve been running it for a couple of months and my car really does well with it. I`ll definitely continue to use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back