Current fill/filter and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now my current fill is:

5 litres Esso XD-3 Synthetic 0W-30 (CI-4) in a 1999 Malibu that's just under 100,000 miles. $5.99 Canadian a litre, PAO synthetic HDEO. It's the good stuff, thin when it's cold, thick when it's hot, shear stable and high additive. I have gone from driving 5,000 km a month to barely using a tank of gas a month in my personal car, so at 10,000 km OCI, this will probably last me a year.

Filter is Fleetguard StratoPore LF3554. Oversized filter for more capacity, although I overfilled the engine about 10 ounces to get all five litres in. The Fleetguard filter interested me because it seems quite similar to the media in Amsoil EaOs, so I bought it from Cummins. The thing is a beast, and it barely clears the back of my AC compressor.

What are you using and why?

Last edited:
Oil -> because it is on sale ($1 synthetic or near free dino oil, depends on availability).

Filter -> Purolater Premium Plus, because of sales (1c because I got lucky), and OEM Honda because getting the non-Honda out between engine and firewall is a pita, so need to use a filter that fit the filter cap.

Honda and Hyundai - MaxLife 5W-30 and Puralator Pure One. I buy these because they're both good, quality products that are readily available to me.
Mustang - Amsoil XL 5W-20 and an Amsoil filter. Once a year change and it's stored over the winter so ordering is no big deal.

Acura - Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30, Purolator PureONE. Got both on sale.
Kia - Exxon Superflo 5W-30, Supertech filter. Got the exxon for $1/quart and the Supertech is the cheapest filter for that car.
Chevy Malibu - Havoline Synthetic 5W-30, Napa ProSelect oil filter. No particular reason for the oil filter, aside from I feel it's one of the best filters for the money, and I got the Havoline on sale for $3/quart.
Daewoo - Exxon Superflo 5W-30, Quaker State oil filter, got both on sale.

See my sig below.
Got them because they were on sale and meet the specs for my vehicle.
Citgo was $.67 after rebate, and the filter was $5.
Total cost of oil change < $9... seemed like a no brainer to me!

Quaker State green bottle 5w20 its what the factory fill is so i stuck with it. OEM filter because it keeps the car on the warrenty and ofcourse its genuine - guess im weird when it comes to certain things.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir

What are you using and why?

CP Super All-season synthetic blend with a Mobil 1 filter.
Why: best blend in the world and best filter.

I am very curious about the MC full syn 5w-20 tho.

Oil: GC 0w-30 because it meets the BMW LL01 spec and is relatively easy to find locally.

Filter: Mann, because it's OEM and costs less than all other brands.

Oil: Amsoil ASL5w30
I run this oil as we have some very cold winters,so the synthetic will help with cold starts @2am in the mornings when I get off work,and it's a good oil for long drain periods.

Filter: K&N oil Filter
I've used this filter as it's a very well built filter,with an synthetic filter media,good for extended long drain periods.

'94 LS400 200k miles - 6k/6 mos OCI's with Chevron Supreme 5W-30 on sale for $0.49/qt after rebate, Motorcraft FS400S.
'00 E430 99k miles - Delo 15W-40 on sale for $4.0/galon after rebate, Hengst filter. Will change to synthetic after 3-4k miles, using Delo for cleaning.
'04 S2000 - 6 mos OCI's with Havoline Deposit Shield 10W-30 on sale for $0.49/qt after rebate, S2000 specific filter PCX-004 bought on eBay for $3/each. This car has OCI's based on time because it is driven mostly on short trips.

F150 4.9L: Maxlife 5w30 Synthetic.

This oil has HTHS >=3.5 (ACEA A3 Rated) and so, in the bearings, works like a 40 weight. I normally don't use 5w30 but this is extremely robust for 5w30 and it was on special clearance of $3 a quart. Maxlife because the truck has 160,000 miles and seeps oil. Synthetic because I park outside in winter and because I drive 12000 miles per year and figure maybe can go 8000+ for an OCI. I had been running 10w40 in this truck for the past 4 years or so.

I have to thank Gary Allan
thumbsup2.gif
for suggesting I run the Max Syn in this truck.

Oil=Rotella 10w30 since I wanted to try it and i've come to the realization that it is too thick for my car and has decreased my gas mileage.
Filter=Supertech filter since it was cheap and i've used them before with no problems.

Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5w40 CI-4 in the Lincoln, Donaldson SYNTEQ filter.

Why? I think it's the best oil on the market; it is by far the most decorated.

The Donaldson filters are cheaper than the Amsoil ones, and their SYNTEQ media is arguably the best available. I bought a case of them. The construction is superb.

Note the sig, down below......

Got the Superflo at Autozone for $4.99/5qt jug, and the filter on sale at Menards for $2.49.

One Superflo jug left, then the last 5 quarts of Kendall, then Im out...

Shopping time after Christmas.....
thumbsup2.gif

I use PP and Motorcraft filters, but am planning on changing back to Pure One filters because the Motorcraft filters have had a habit lately of the gasket sticking to the motor. The first time it happened it caused a mess because I didn't check like I usually do. The 2nd time I caught it though.

88 E-150 4.9- Mobil 1 EP 10W-30 with Mobil 1 Filter. Will be changing shortly to PP 5W-30 and Pure one filter. Got deal on oil and filter.

93 Aerostar 3.0L- Havoline 5w-30 A-rx rinse cycle. Will be changing to YB 5W-20 (Ford back spec to 5W-20), and doing A-Rx clean cycle, over 100,000 miles. I'm following instructions for HM vehicle. Debating if I should hold off second clean cycle until spring????????????

08 Jeep Liberty 3.7L- PP 5W-20 and Pure One filter. Going to try Mobil 1 0W-20 and Mobil 1 filter. Got the oil and filter on sale and want to try a 0W oil.

Frank D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back