Curious for opinions: What would you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short, I found myself in the ER this past Sunday evening around 12 AM. Obviously, due to the wait times my girlfriend and I fell asleep on the floor, right next to each other, and stayed there until around 4 AM when I got called in. The next day, she informs me that she can't find her debit card or ID, and that there were a bunch of suspicious charges on said card.

She immediately froze the card, and I tracked through the charges and found that the very first one was at THE HOSPITAL VENDING MACHINE! Needless to say, we went back that evening and reported the crime, as I had time stamps from Wells Fargo showing the card was first used at 3:21 AM. My girlfriend just told me today that the police had contacted her and said they found footage of a woman literally going through her purse in the middle of the lobby as we slept. There had to have been at least 15-20 people in the lobby, not counting the front desk staff and security desk.

There's always 1-2 uniformed Sheriff's there in addition to security staff and nurses. The place we were sitting is less than 15 feet, in direct line of sight of both the security desk and the front desk.

The question is this: how would you pursue this? I just can't shake the feeling that the hospital is liable here. The crime was committed on their property, under their watch, in what's supposed to be a secure area. How do you just not notice someone going through someone else's belongings? At the very least, I'd like a written apology and some better training, but that hardly fixes the problem. I have no idea what kind of outcome I'm looking for, really, so I'll throw it to the audience and see how everyone else feels.

Hospital isn't liable. It's a public place. Unless the person going through the purse was hospital staff, there is no obligation for the hospital to safeguard your personal property with respect to other patrons.

It's sad that you have to remain alert in this day and age, but that is the reality we live in.

Some lowlife and/or desperate person will take advantage of the opportunity you provided.

Sit as close to the admissions desk as possible?

Bring my son-in-law who is a cop?

Bring Molly and say she is a service animal. She would savor ripping someone a new one.

Why do you want to blame someone besides the thief? If there is anything to blame besides the thief, it would be failure to secure personal belongings better. But given your situation, it is understandable the way it was secured.

The security are there to prevent violent incidents against treatment team members, drug seeking behavior and violence against patients. ED waiting rooms can sometimes be like a zoo, especially at night.

My guess is the best you can do is dispute the charges and get them removed.
There is no way the hospital is liable, even if it was one of their staff.

Yeah, I don't see the hospitals liability. That's like being robbed in a store. The store isn't liable, it's the robber that's liable. I suppose the other people weren't aware you were being robbed. Perhaps they thought it a friend/relative, not someone being robbed. Some people are just brazen and get away with things by doing the unexpected.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I used to work in a big city hospital. You get the best and the worst all in one spot.

Reminds me of Lily Tomlin when she did a bit on the phone company. They service kings and queens to the scum of the earth.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
At the very least, I'd like a written apology and some better training, but that hardly fixes the problem. I have no idea what kind of outcome I'm looking for, really, so I'll throw it to the audience and see how everyone else feels.
I think I would just let it go as long as I was made whole, going on a vengeance quest is not good for you. I would leave my murse at home or in the car next hospital visit!
laugh.gif

If it were me, I would get the charges removed (not too sure if it will happen with the debit card and that is the reason I NEVER carry a debit card on me). If the cops need my assistance to write a record for a thief, I would help them with whatever documentation they may need.

Having enough share of my experience with the medical establishments (esp in the US), I would not bother with the apology.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn
If it were me, I would get the charges removed (not too sure if it will happen with the debit card and that is the reason I NEVER carry a debit card on me). If the cops need my assistance to write a record for a thief, I would help them with whatever documentation they may need.

Having enough share of my experience with the medical establishments (esp in the US), I would not bother with the apology.

Good points. I think most establishments say not responsible for stolen or lost items. Not sure who exactly would be. The emergency room is open to the public. It is up to the public to guard their own things. I would not fall asleep in the public and expect my personal belongings to be guarded.

My Son works as a Pharmacy Tech at a local Hospital. He was telling me just the other day that the ER has about 20-30 heroin addicts in it at any one time during the day. He told me that one night they had 30 overdoses and had to notify some higher agency. If I were you I would do any sleeping in shifts. It's not 1965 anymore.

Originally Posted by MoneyJohn

Solid advice.

At least she didn't get cash, phone or any other valuables like jewelry. ERs are generally sketchy places.

Since you weren't there for the hospital to secure your stuff, their liability here is about zero. Not the hospitals job to keep your personal belongings secure.

Sounds like hospital has shared the video to assist in apprehending the thief. Odds are they will never find them. But you never know. The guy who hacked my cell phone account was never apprehended despite having ultra clear video of them at two retail locations...

Originally Posted by Astro14
People at fault:
Thief

Girlfriend
You

Spread out the blame a little more on this one............................

I find it very sad that of the 15-20 people in the lobby no one confronted the thief or made you aware you were being robbed. I, however, do not think the hospital is liable. They shared their video surveillance with the police which should at least guaranty that your friend is reimbursed for any charges by the thief.

Hospital is not liable. Sorry about what happened.

My wife would freak about the (sleeping on)hospital floor. She knows what drops on them and "cleanliness" as she works at one.

Thanks, everyone. I figured we had no recourse, but of course I'm seeing the situation through much more jaded glasses, so to speak. I just find it incredible that 1. Someone could be so brazen, and 2. That no one stepped in. It's not like we were in some secluded corner of the lobby, we were literally dead center.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Hospital is not liable. Sorry about what happened.

My wife would freak about the (sleeping on)hospital floor. She knows what drops on them and "cleanliness" as she works at one.

I was NOT thrilled, however we had already had a long weekend and a long day, and both had to work in the morning. Honestly, at that point, I threw my jacket over my head to drown out the noise and light and passed out. Was it a poor choice? Probably.

Oh well, what's done is done. She's going to get the money back no matter what (especially now that we have proof). I highly doubt the perp will be caught, 'tis life.

Originally Posted by Astro14
People at fault:
Thief
Girlfriend
You

Exactly.
I don't see how the hospital is responsible for you and your girlfriends choice to leave a purse readily accessible to a thief.
That is the problem with society today, everyone wants to blame someone else when they make a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back