Curiosity: Does anyone know...are vehicles suspensions aligned at the factory...

I want to say yes, but at the same time, when my old shop was doing alignments for the local Chevy dealer (which at the time didn't have it's own alignment rack), we were sent several new Chevy Trax that had had the control arm recall performed at the factory, but were shipped without having been aligned.

I wouldn't be surprised the factory working moving the vehicle from the end of the line to the parking lot waiting to be loaded knows just by driving it. They drive the same vehicles a few hundred times a day and if it is off by a bit they would notice, and send it to the side to be checked.

Many assembly lines with batch process would sample the first and last units for detail inspection and then perform only basic testing in between if the first and last unit passes.

When I toured TMMK, basically I watched cars roll off the end of the line regularly(I think 45 seconds or so on the Camry line at the time). They'd get started, and provided nothing major happened at start as I understood it from there most of them went straight on to the truck to go to the dealer.

If something was amiss after starting, or sometimes just as a quality check, cars would get put off to the side where they'd either be taken out back and driven on the track(assuming nothing was wrong and it was just a random sample) or they'd be worked on and then driven.

I'd GUESS the ones that were driven/worked on probably went on an alignment rack if there was a reason to think they needed to. Most of them-there wouldn't have been a chance to do it.

I'd be interested too if certain cars get more attention than others. As an example, if you took factory/NCM delivery of a Corvette, I'd think they'd go through and make sure it was as perfect as they could before you picked it up. It wouldn't exactly look great for the people touring the museum and watching you pick up your car to see you have issues like obviously bad alignment when you drove it off. Plus, I think the presumption is a lot of people are going to take delivery and then go out and drive the snot out of the thing right out of the gate.

Back