cummins pulling truck oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
my friend is putting a new motor in his dodge pulling truck after blowing the old motor up this spring. he has always ran rotella in the past but he wants to run schaeffers in the new motor. anybody got any opinions on a good oil for pulling? i know a lot of tractor and truck pullers use a straight 50. i also see that schaeffers came out with a 5w50, the #9001.

Tell your friend to run either Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40, Schaeffer's 7000 15w-40, or Redline 15w-40. All these oils have the additive chemistry and HIGH HTHS to properly protect a pulling motor. There are other oils that will perform decently also, but not have as high of HTHS as these oils.

Hammer

Most of the pullers using Schaeffers have been using our 15-40 hdeo or the 20-50 racing oil. The new 5-50 is an option as well. He will have excellent results and diminish the chances and costs of rebuilds with schaeffers.

All of us Smith Diesel guys down here in Kentucky are running Schaeffer in our pulling trucks as well as our daily drivers (Kevin Caudill, Jacob Bradford, Eric Johnson, etc) and we have never had an oil related issue. A couple of the guys used to run Rotella but have been much happier since they switched. S7000 15W-40 has worked very well but we are toying with the 5W-50 in one of them based on the radical nature of the revamped engine that will be out next spring.

Actually, after reviewing the specs again for the 5W-50, I believe the S9000 5W-40 would be a better choice for a diesel. I would lean toward the 5W-50 for a gas/alcohol engine as it appears to be excellent. Of course, I am very partial to Schaeffer and believe every product they make is excellent.

thanks for all the feedback. im pretty sure he is leaning towards a 50 weight. i have used the #700 15w40 in the past and have loved it, it is just a pita tryin to get it where i live. i think it would be great if he would go with the #700, that way he only has one oil for his trucks, tractors and their semi.

anybody know if pullers use a special oil in the differentials or do they just use the #267 80w90?

Pullers will use the #267 or the moly one for all #214 which is a 75-140.

quote:

it is just a pita tryin to get it where i live. i think it would be great if he would go with the #700, that way he only has one oil for his trucks, tractors and their semi.

No pita here, just call and it will be shipped to your door step and he would easily have enough for free shipping.

mark

SO - I am new here and since all the above have cummins - guess I can say it is safe to use schaeffer #7000 and the auto tansmission stuff and the gear box syn stuff..

ps: My question is after looking at other threads I see a lot telling of using syn. oil can cause bore glazing, poor lab analysis, etc, etc... and that dino is really not "bad" as to syn.. sorry - but this is just the opposite of what I have heard other places!

Just had to ask.

quote:

SO - I am new here and since all the above have cummins - guess I can say it is safe to use schaeffer #7000 and the auto tansmission stuff and the gear box syn stuff..

ps: My question is after looking at other threads I see a lot telling of using syn. oil can cause bore glazing, poor lab analysis, etc, etc... and that dino is really not "bad" as to syn.. sorry - but this is just the opposite of what I have heard other places!

Just had to ask.

I don't know where you saw that, but it is contrary to the used oil analyses we see posted and to actual engine operation. The right spec synthetic product will work better except in a very small number of occasions. If your Dodge transmission calls for DaimlerChrysler ATF+4 and you use Mobil 1 synthetic Dexron-III ATF, you'll have problems...not because it is synthetic but because it is the wrong spec--Dexron not ATF+4. Bore glazing?...many synthetic motor oil users get a hundred thousands of miles or more out of their engines than engines run with conventional oil. Some folks see a problem and hang an easy reason on it, whether that reason is accurate or not. Corvettes, turbo VWs, and many other engines are required to run synthetic oil. They work fine.

Ken

well we've been lookin at these some more. i like the 5w50 a little better than the 20w50 cause the 5w has a CF rating and the 20w only has a gas rating.

What does the #702 straight 50 have for a rating? the website doesnt have a tech sheet for that one. same with the #107 and #110 straght 50 weights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back