Cummins - Fleetguard Stratapore Filters any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of purchasing a new ram with a cummins in a month or two. Most are running fleetguard/oem filters, the stratapore is a bit more pricey and supposedly better. I'm curious if this stratapore filter is any good, or if there's a preferred filter for the new Cummins? Thanks,
Dave

Lightman,

Just reasearched a bunch about the stratopore filter. Am using its donaldson equivalent. Synthetic fiber and it put on the filter in several layers with the idea of finer filtration as you go through the media.

Everything points to this being a superior filter. fleetguard is hawking them for extended drain intervals. Dont think they would do that without good confidence that they work.

The one I am using to try out has kept my oil extemely clean since I changed it 500 miles ago with only short trip driving and a couple of 200 mile round trips. Going to go to 5000 miles and will do a uoa.

The filters are supposed to be 50% efficient multipass at 7 micons and flow with very little pressure drop.

Dan

Thanks for the reply Dan. Sounds like they are the real deal and I'll just stick to those. With a stock filter that good I wonder if there's any need for a bypass filter. The sump holds a whopping 12 quarts.

Lightman,

I am going to a bypass filter on my slant six when I can afford it. I have come to the conclusion that bypass filtering definitely helps make an engine last longer. Since I plan on keeping my car for as long as possible it makes sense to me.

Dan

I guess I do like the benefits, its just such a pain to change. I have the oilguard on my TDI now, and will probably get the single amsoil bypass for the cummins, because I can't stand how messy the oilguard is to change, regardless if it's a few bucks cheaper. Hopefully someone's got a pretty plug and play setup for the cummins.

At this point I'm doubtful that there is a better filter than the FLEETGUARD "Stratapore" series other than the DONALDSON "Endurance" line.

Too many good comments on the FL filter not to ignore, especially on the DODGE/CUMMINS Turbodiesel.

I don't think the Stratapore is too pricey, I know it's available online for less than $9 for the Dodge/Cummins, and local Cummins shops may sell it for even less. If I remember correctly, the "approved warranty" filters for the Dodge Cummins are: Fleetguard, Mopar, and get this; AC/Delco and Motorcraft!

The Mobil 1 filter for this engine is $11.99 at Autozone, and the Amsoil filter is close to $20 retail.

Lightman,

The mobil 1 is not, the amsoil may be close but is not a full synthetic media.

Neither give the same data for the filters as fleetguard does. Amsoil is probably equivalent to the baldwin hpg which filters down to 8 microns nominal, but does not flow like the full synthetic filter.

Not to start any fights, but this is my opinion. Both mobil1 and amsoil are very good, but I think the stratopore technology is a step ahead.

Dan

iam using fleetguard #3681 it has gpm of 5 and it has a restriction of 4 psi clean dif (0 psi =no restriction)pressure..they explained to me that the restriction ratings are whats important not the flows rates...if your car flows at 3gpm and you put on a filter that flows 11-13 gpms you are still only going to get 3 gpms...alot of filters k&n and wix use an avg. fleetguard does not..i did find out that wix flows at 11-13 gpm but has a restriction of 5 psi diff press. brand new and by pass of 11 psi where as fleetguard has 7 psi bypass...i have tried them all but fleet guard surpasses them all by a long shot...fleetguard spent 35 min explaing alot of really good data where as other companies can't wait to get rid of you...i been using wix filters...not any more using fleetguard now

It isn't common knowledge but the best bypass filter element Cummins Fleetguard has is shredded newspapers and wood chips. They are also sold by Wix, Lubrafiner, and others. The best bypass filter factory installed by GM users paper towels. Synthetic filters can't compete with cellulose filters at cleaning oil.
The Motor Guard of California makes only small submicronic bypass filters. They recommend one for up to 12 qts; two for 12 to 24 qts; four for over 24 qt crankcase capacity. It's not an exact science. Some large engines are very clean running and some small engines run very dirty.
You might find the the following interesting:

"Title: Don't Bypass Bypass Filters
Author: Gelinas, Tom
Journal: Fleet Equipment Vol: 14 Iss: 7 Date: Jul 1988 pp. 39-41
Abstract:
According to some estimates, 60% of the potential causes of engine wear and failure can be eliminated by a well-designed and properly applied filtration system. Cummins Engine Co. recommends that both a bypass filter and a full-flow filter be used. A bypass filter shunts 10% of the total oil pump output through a filter and then back to the sump, bypassing the engine. Because this filter has high-pressure differential and low flow rate, it can filter out fine particles in the 5-micron range. In contrast, a full-flow filter has a low-pressure differential and filters out only large particles in the 40 micron to 60 micron range. However, the full-flow filter is located so that all of the oil must flow through it before reaching the bearings. The combination of these 2 filter types gives double protection against wear. Studies at the Cummins Technical Center indicate that wear can be reduced up to 91% by using a bypass filter in combination with a full-flow filter."

Ralph
burnout.gif

To all,

Just MAKE SURE your filter has the Stratapore media BEFORE you buy it. I bought 4 Fleetguard LF3339s yesterday, excited that I had gotten these super filters. Well, an email to Fleetguard to confirm the presence of Stratapore indicated that it has not "made it to" these filters yet...so just be sure before you buy.

Not all Fleetguard filter are Stratapore, and they do not offer a Stratapore equivlent for all applications at this time.

How do you guys think the stratapore compares to the full flow amsoil filter? I was considering going with the dual bypass setup.

Another aspect of the Fleetguard in my application (LF 3339 Ford Taurus 3.0L) is that the bypass valve is at the closed end of the filter...I'd rather it be at the open end...interesting thing I note is that two highly regarded filters--Fleetguard and Purolator Pure1--use the closed end location whereas K&N, Motorcraft, Wix/NAPA Gold, Mobil 1 locate them at the open end.

Lightman,
I suggest you go with the Amsoil single bypass kit, BMK-11. The dual bypass is much harder to locate a place for, results in a larger pressure drop and routes ALL your oil through hoses. The BMK-11 kit retains the use of the stock full-flow filter and will allow you to use the Stratapore.

Filters for the Cummins B series engines do not have bypass valves in them. The bypass function is incorporated in the engine oiling system in the block.

After discussing with a few experts, I've decided to just run the fleetguard stratapore and drive the thing. They have said it's a 500K engine with normal maintenance, and considering that, why bother with a bypass filter? I'm not going to drive it past 500k.

Riflesmith, thanks, but for what its worth, there are a few cummins forum guys that sell ready made mounts for dual setups, that are bolt ons with very short runs. They are sweet kits but I dont think I need one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back