Cub Cadet PTO won't re-engage after running a few minutes

2007 Cub Cadet 42 Inch Zero Turn Mower Came with the house we purchased last year. Runs great but after a few minutes of cutting, if I push the PTO switch down to disengage the blades, all is fine until I pull the knob back up to re-engage the blades. At that time the blades will not re-engage. I have to leave the mower for about 10 minutes or so as if to "cool" off before the PTO will once again work. Never had a riding mower so have no idea where to begin.

Thanks

As A&PDan stated, check the air gap. Here's a short and sweet explanation of what you might be up against. This is for a SCAG (and my John Deere) so your is likely the same.
electric clutch.JPG

2007 Cub Cadet 42 Inch Zero Turn Mower Came with the house we purchased last year. Runs great but after a few minutes of cutting, if I push the PTO switch down to disengage the blades, all is fine until I pull the knob back up to re-engage the blades. At that time the blades will not re-engage. I have to leave the mower for about 10 minutes or so as if to "cool" off before the PTO will once again work. Never had a riding mower so have no idea where to begin.

Thanks
You need to get a new PTO Switch or either take the PTO Switch off and make sure there is no corrosion in the switch or connector. I would just get a genuine Cub Cadet PTO switch that will probably cost you about $30.00 or so, stay away from the cheap knockoffs.

Thanks. I will try to look at the air gap this weekend and see what I can find. I do have a good manual I found on line for the mower so that should be a good guide to consult. It also has a list of parts so I will check on the PTO switch also after looking at the air gap if that isn't the problem.

Looked at the PTO clutch this afternoon and there are no adjustment nuts or screws anywhere on it. I was able to push the plate up and it moved freely, just no way to adjust the air gap. I measured .041 on one side and .029 on the opposite side. There are no "windows" to use for the measurements, it is open all the way around. Here is what the replacement PTO looks like

Cub Cadet PTO.JPG

Could be the coil inside the E-clutch has a break in it that opens up once it's warmed up.

Also could be a wiring connection or contacts in the circuit that open up once things get hot and move around as well.

These clutches need full battery voltage to stay engaged.

ah the joys of the elect pto clutch. no one ever checks or adjusts the air gap onthese . its often very hard to get at them on most machines. very expencive to replace 300-500$.

Unfortunately this one is very easy to get to but has no air gap adjustment that can be done. I see some recommended new ones for under $100.00 such as from Oxclutch. Right now the mower cuts fine and I can do the yard without having to disengage the PTO. Even if I do disengage I only have to wait 10 minutes or so before it will reengage. I don't think I am going to spend the money now to replace it without making sure the other items mentioned are OK such as the voltage and the switches.

Back