CT Filters - New versus Old - We have a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone:

So I wasn't real busy at work today and thought I would kill some time at my local Canadian Tire store (don't tell the boss).

I bought 2 of the same model filters and cut them open to see what Canadian Tire is transitioning to.

It's a very good thing as the photo's will show the quality is increasing.

I will leave it all to you to debate... Anyone that uses this model filter, you owe me the $9 for both filters as I have provided you this valuable information.
LOL.gif
(j/k)

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

You're welcome... I was interested to see it too! I think the "OEM" statement has been removed just for liability... Doesn't mean that it doesn't meet the the proper specs.
wink.gif

This is the exact filter (same part number too) that I'm running on my wife's Civic right now. I was impressed with the look and feel of the newer version compared to the old Fram made version which even without cutting open you can tell isn't as good (the new one is a bit heavier, and even just peeking inside the two you can see the newer one is built better)

I just wonder, if I decide to go back to one year intervals in my wife's car, which will work out to about 10,000 miles, would this filter be good enough to handle that interval? Or should I play it safe and start using NAPA Golds on her car once again?

New ones are made in China.....old ones are just Fram Extra Guards.
Look better made, but Chinese QC is pretty terrible with just about everything they make.
The Quaker State filters they sell for $1 more are Purolators and would be a better buy. Napa Golds are about the same price and would be better still.

Originally Posted By: Patman
This is the exact filter (same part number too) that I'm running on my wife's Civic right now. I was impressed with the look and feel of the newer version compared to the old Fram made version which even without cutting open you can tell isn't as good (the new one is a bit heavier, and even just peeking inside the two you can see the newer one is built better)

I just wonder, if I decide to go back to one year intervals in my wife's car, which will work out to about 10,000 miles, would this filter be good enough to handle that interval? Or should I play it safe and start using NAPA Golds on her car once again?

Patman,

The media in the new filter is very rigid and the pleats don't bend to the sides willingly at all. I could mail it to you to have a look for yourself, seeing as you live so close. ?!?

I would use it with confidence, it's a very nice filter indeed!

grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Hitzy
Look better made, but Chinese QC is pretty terrible with just about everything they make.
The Quaker State filters they sell for $1 more are Purolators and would be a better buy. Napa Golds are about the same price and would be better still.

Not all NAPA Golds are priced like that though. For instance the NAPA Gold for my Corvette is around $13 up here, but these new CT filters are all closer to $5 (or less).

What makes you say they're made in China? The new ones are obviously Purolator Premium Plus / Classics.

Not all NAPA Golds are priced like that though. For instance the NAPA Gold for my Corvette is around $13 up here, but these new CT filters are all closer to $5 (or less).

Patman they are $4.50 + $0.50 Eco fee at Canadian Tire. The bigger Ford ones go for $5.00. Still a worth while filter over the Fram because you get better quality for the price IMO. (Not bashing Frams quality, just the value)

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder

What makes you say they're made in China? The new ones are obviously Purolator Premium Plus / Classics.

The ones I looked at in the store had "Made in China" stamped on the can.....kind of gave it away.

The old ones said "Made in USA, imported by..." and the new ones say "Made in China, imported by..."

Too bad that the jobs left the N.A. continent, but the product is now a much better quality design than the old one...

I wonder which company is producing them now for Motomaster now that it's not Fram/Honeywell.

Any indicators by looking at the parts/media anyone???

Quote:
It is the key enterprise of China Automobile Parts Industry Association, the managing director of China National Internal Combustion Engine Association,and also the Chairman of Filter Branch,the

managing director of China Association of Automobile Manufactures, Board Chairman of Vehicle Filters Specialized Council, the nominal member of Filters Standardization Committee of National Standardization Committee.

Glad to see beurocracy is alive and well in China.

Quote:
Our company has the right of self-support imports and exports, we have certificated ISO9001,QS9000,VDA6.1 and we are the only one who has the three certificates in filters industry in China.

Over 1 billion people, and only one certified manufacturer.....

Quote:
BB is the famous trademark in Anhui, The first recommended trademark in China “ Double-hundreds Activity”.

Double-hundreds??? I guess that one didn't translate so well.

Quote:
Our products are the inspection-free ones.

There is your good old Chinese QC again.....:)

These cans look well made, I'd just question the flitering ability, and bypass valve settings/functionality.

Thanks for doing that, Stevie. The new filter looks a LOT better than the old one.

Pennzoil filters used to be re-badged Frams, like MM, and now they 'look' like the one you cut open (baseplate does) - probably the same filter.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I wonder which company is producing them now for Motomaster now that it's not Fram/Honeywell.

According to an older thread on here from last month, this is the company that makes these new Motomaster filters:

http://www.bbfilter.com/EN/zjbb.asp

I read that thread... But missed the link. Thanks for re-posting it.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Thanks for doing that, Stevie. The new filter looks a LOT better than the old one.

Pennzoil filters used to be re-badged Frams, like MM, and now they 'look' like the one you cut open (baseplate does) - probably the same filter.

You're welcome... As I said to Patman in a PM, These new filters look so good I wouldn't hesitate to use them in place of a Fram-TG or a Wix filter. They really do have some nice media inside that is very rigid and nowhere as flimsy as the old media.
thumbsup2.gif

Being that its from China, and a company that cannot seem to translate their own website well.... I'd be questioning the quality of the media, bypass, ADBV...etc. Even if they LOOK good.

Then again, now that I've started using the Donaldson and Fleetguard glass media filters, I don't think I'd ever use anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back