CST @ 45c and 100c

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by crimsontide:
anyone got the cst's for motorctaft's 5w20, valvoline durablend 5w20, havoline 5w20???

Motorcraft = 49/8.8
Valvoline Durablend = 48.22/8.5
Havoline = 45.5/8.0

The Motorcraft and the Valvoline Durablend are both synth blends...the Havoline is a conventional...they don't make a synth blend 5W-20...

BTW, the standard measurement is at 40°C, not 45°C...

[ February 26, 2004, 08:47 AM: Message edited by: RF Overlord ]

Castrol GTX is about 8.9, making it one of the 'thicker' 5w20's at operating temp. I have been using it and have not had to add oil between drains.

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:

The Motorcraft and the Valvoline Durablend are both synth blends...the Havoline is a conventional...they don't make a synth blend 5W-20...

[/QB]

Reality is all three oils are what could be considered syn blends. Each is a mixture of Group II and Group III base oils. The havoline even says as much on the label!

Don't get caught up in the advertising hype!

Valvoline sells an All Climate version of 5w20 which is much easier to find. It too is a mixture of Group II and III base oils.

quote:

Originally posted by MNgopher:
The havoline even says as much on the label!

That's interesting...on the Havoline web site, they have separate listings for "Motor Oil", "Synthetic Blend", and "Synthetic Motor Oil"...the only listing for a 5w-20 is under "Motor Oil"...if it was actually a synth blend, I wonder why they wouldn't say so?

quote:

I wouldn't call classifying an oil in a LOWER category than it really is as "hype"...

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:

quote:

The havoline even says as much on the label!

That's interesting...on the Havoline web site, they have separate listings for "Motor Oil", "Synthetic Blend", and "Synthetic Motor Oil"...the only listing for a 5w-20 is under "Motor Oil"...if it was actually a synth blend, I wonder why they wouldn't say so?

quote:

I wouldn't call classifying an oil in a LOWER category than it really is as "hype"...

What I was pointing out was exactly the reverse. Buy the Motorcraft or Durablend BECAUSE it says its a blend when its no different than every other dino oil out there is buying into hype.

I posed my theory on why other brands don;t market themselves this way and I think its relatively simple.

The vast majority of joe schmoes buy oil on price, not on brand. Ask most retailers and they will tell you whatever is on sale is generally the best mover.

Joe schmoe sees brand A labeled syn blend and brand b regular dino. He'll likely buy brand b because he percieves it to be cheaper.

In reality, most 5w20's cost more than the other dino's, but not as much as the blends. Keeps the "price" shoppers happy.

quote:

any info on the new castrol 5w20 blend

For some reason, Castrol is the ONLY company out of 17 I've researched so far that doesn't put any PDS info on its web site
dunno.gif
...you have to call them...
rolleyes.gif

i'm trying to decide what to go w/ now....been using the chevron 5w20.....its been pretty good so far...but im out...was curious bout the castrol blend 5w20....although i've seen good uoa's w/ the pennzoil 5w20.....anyone have any opinions for an 03 f150 w/ a 5.4l????

The Motorcraft 5W-20 seems like the real bargain right now in 5W-20 blend oils. Many Wally Worlds stock the stuff as does Autozone (at least sometimes !).

John

quote:

i'm trying to decide what to go w/ now....been using the chevron 5w20.....its been pretty good so far...but im out...was curious bout the castrol blend 5w20....although i've seen good uoa's w/ the pennzoil 5w20.....anyone have any opinions for an 03 f150 w/ a 5.4l????

Why not got with the Ford Motorcraft oil? It's available at Wal-Mart and other places. Even my Pennzoil Quick Lube has it. I'd bet since it's Conoco Hydroclear, it's good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back