Cryogenic Treated Rotors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are cryogenic treated rotors better than non treated rotors? I just purchased some Centric rotors for the Civic. The fronts are cryogenic treated and the rears are not.

Is there really any difference?

I've got Powerslot cryos on the front of my F150 with Hawk pads and have been very happy with them towing and street driving. Biggest bonus is they don't rust nearly as bad as any other rotor I've had.

Originally Posted By: msmoke00
I've got Powerslot cryos on the front of my F150 with Hawk pads and have been very happy with them towing and street driving. Biggest bonus is they don't rust nearly as bad as any other rotor I've had.

How long have you run them? I seem to be getting some rotor vibrations- again- on my '11 F150 which sees LIGHT duty use.

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
Hawk Pads are great, have them on my Corvette also.

Same here, HP+es on the front, HPS on the back.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif

I LOVE HP+'s, but why the HPS's in the back? The 'Vette's brakes should be well balanced from the factory, you're making it very front-biased that way, since HPS's don't have 1/4 the bite of the HP+.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Are cryogenic treated rotors better than non treated rotors? I just purchased some Centric rotors for the Civic. The fronts are cryogenic treated and the rears are not.

Is there really any difference?

As someone who tracked Vettes quite extensively I was never able to discern a difference. A 'good' quality regular smooth rotor works just as well as a 'cryo' treated one IMO, at least as it applies to Corvette brakes from 96-2005.

Far and away it's the PAD that makes the difference. Try a set of pads from Stoptech. Their proprietary blend is the best I have encountered for a mix of normal street driving and aggressive track use...

From everyone I've chatted about on these, for both track and street, is that it is a total waste of money. Maybe on a high mass rotor that is intended to be turned, but no one uses them on LT/PVs today.

At least on the track, it's more about the pad and swept area . . . and fresh fluid.

Originally Posted By: buck91

How long have you run them? I seem to be getting some rotor vibrations- again- on my '11 F150 which sees LIGHT duty use.

Three years and about 30,000 miles. No vibrations even after towing one load that was over 10,000 lbs with no trailer brakes (forklifts are heavier than you think
blush.gif
).

I use and recommend cryo'd rotors.
Many vehicles have just barely adequate braking and will benefit.
Many cheap import rotors are lesser quality than OE and benefit.
High carbon is another marketing term...which means the cheap imports are finally using OE quality casting habits.

Cryo'd high carbon rotors will soon be installed on my daily driver along with EBC reds.

Cryo any and all metal components that don't live up to their expectations... from firing pins to drill bits to anything mechanical.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

wink.gif

I LOVE HP+'s, but why the HPS's in the back? The 'Vette's brakes should be well balanced from the factory, you're making it very front-biased that way, since HPS's don't have 1/4 the bite of the HP+.

This is NOT a Vette, it is a 4th gen f body (Camaro/Firebird), with much more front weight bias than a y body (Vette).

These cars tend to get rear wheel hop under hard braking on a road course to the point that many, even with FULL race compound (Hawk, Raybestos, Carbotech, etc.) pads on the front, will actually use an even weaker than an HPS street compound pad on the rear, just to attempt to lessen said wheel hop.
This is even those who have manual brake bias adjusters, such is the problem.
frown.gif

It can be almost eliminated with very expensive, aftermarket, racing only, decoupled torque arms to replace the factory style arm, but the $$$ IS the problem.
wink.gif

The Vettes, with their much better weight distribution, independent rear suspension, and NO torque arm to worry about, do NOT have this problem above.

Cryotreating has value with hardened steel. But rotors are made of cast iron. I don't see how cryotreating can benefit rotor performance. Where is the empirical data?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back