Cryogenic clutch disc and pressure plate

Has anyone had issues with a clutch/pressure plate setup were they cryoed it and what was increase you saw? I have been reading that if increases friction of the mated parts, meaning more hp/torque can be used before slipping and doubles+ less wear. Clutch springs and dual mass flywheel springs can take more of a beating. Has anyone seen these claims on their own cars that you did this to?

I've had some 4L60E Output Shafts Cryo-Treated & it DOES help with stress risers in the steel therefore reducing breakage during shock loading. The trick...At least in what I use it for, Is to use a Output Shaft out of a stock vehicle that has never been launched at the track with sticky tires as one that's been beat on could already have micro fractures. I'd guess the same would be true for other steels.

My use of the Cryo on the DCT (dual clutch) clutch/pressure plate, and flywheel would be for longevity. There are no high perf clutches available for my car yet, and there may never be until the TCU computer can be cracked and a Tuner can control the clutch timing of the solenoid clutch arm let out speed. There also is issues of exacting tolerances of part sizing as attempts have already been tried and failed, as all these components are stacked together as one and all need a correct preload setting. It can be done, and is being worked on as we speak, but it has already been 7 years these 7 speed DCT have been to market from Hyundai/Kia with no aftermarket clutches available. No clutch company wants to put money into it, the clutches out there are old OEM cores re sprung and PP re sprung.

I have 27,500 miles on mine and I am just now seeing a hint of needing a new clutch. Cryoing, I hope will add some friction as I have been reading, for the added hp/torque and less wear/wear and tear on the spring system, including of which is the dual mass flywheel springs that if you hit the rev limiter too many times can trash those springs. Not an issue unless you auto x in DCT manual mode and bump up against it a lot, which I don't do. I don't auto x my car because I knew going into it the clutch is a weak point and Hyundai has crap DCT coding for high perf "sport driving" that can be hard on the clutch and trans. Their new 8 speed DCT is said to be fantastic as it was made for a performance car as it's #1 criteria. I was waitiI have no interest in it as a 2WD . I love AWD in the corners and I tow a small boat and if I tow in 2wd I hear a heavy load on the front diff vs when I force it in AWD that heavy load on the front diff goes away as the rear diff gets some of the load towing.

Last edited:
My use of the Cryo on the DCT (dual clutch) clutch/pressure plate, and flywheel would be for longevity. There are no high perf clutches available for my car yet, and there may never be until the TCU computer can be cracked and a Tuner can control the clutch timing of the solenoid clutch arm let out speed. There also is issues of exacting tolerances of part sizing as attempts have already been tried and failed, as all these components are stacked together as one and all need a correct preload setting. It can be done, and is being worked on as we speak, but it has already been 7 years these 7 speed DCT have been to market from Hyundai/Kia with no aftermarket clutches available. No clutch company wants to put money into it, the clutches out there are old OEM cores re sprung and PP re sprung.

I have 27,500 miles on mine and I am just now seeing a hint of needing a new clutch. Cryoing, I hope will add some friction as I have been reading, for the added hp/torque and less wear/wear and tear on the spring system, including of which is the dual mass flywheel springs that if you hit the rev limiter too many times can trash those springs. Not an issue unless you auto x in DCT manual mode and bump up against it a lot, which I don't do. I don't auto x my car because I knew going into it the clutch is a weak point and Hyundai has crap DCT coding for high perf "sport driving" that can be hard on the clutch and trans. Their new 8 speed DCT is said to be fantastic as it was made for a performance car as it's #1 criteria. I was waitiI have no interest in it as a 2WD . I love AWD in the corners and I tow a small boat and if I tow in 2wd I hear a heavy load on the front diff vs when I force it in AWD that heavy load on the front diff goes away as the rear diff gets some of the load towing.

I don't have any DCT experience, But on a traditional manual trans clutch....Everything hinges on Clutch Disc/s material, Diameter & Clamping ability of the Pressure Plate. The Flywheel & Pressure Plate Friction Surfaces are generally a fairly soft "Cast Iron". These surfaces get work/heat hardened over time & cause chattering/Clutch release issues.....We have to restore the soft porous surface by Grinding/Replacing the Flywheel & Replacing the Pressure Plate.

This DCT the flywheel and clutch ass stays inside the trans bell housing and the motor crankshaft has a 7 inch cogged
plate attached to it for mating.

Back