CRV key stuck called locksmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPDATE. The car is still at the locksmiths garage and he says he is unable to find a honda ignition repair kit so he will go junkyard diving to see if he can pull wafers out a used car. At this point in on day 4 with no car and at my witts end. Iam thinking of going to look for a new car this week because I cant wait anymore.
You're going to buy a new car because the locksmith apparently cannot figure out how to order lock wafers and parts from a dealer? I know for a fact you can buy all the parts from Honda, even for my old Accord. Not only can you still buy a complete lock kit but the individual wafers are also available.

Our suggestions stand. I'm sure he can remove parts from the ignition lock and it will work. The doors should still lock, no?

Possibly, you could have him leave the parts in a bag and drive the car home and "fix" it yourself.

Here in the states you can go to any auto parts store and order a new lock and tumbler. If it is not in stock they will have it later that day. Of course now you have to carry 2 keys.
You can do that here too but I dont know if I can put an aftermarket part because my car has an immobilizer. Would that matter? I dont mind having 2 keys. I might get rid of this car in 2 years.

You're going to buy a new car because the locksmith apparently cannot figure out how to order lock wafers and parts from a dealer? I know for a fact you can buy all the parts from Honda, even for my old Accord. Not only can you still buy a complete lock kit but the individual wafers are also available.
I told the locksmith to order them from honda. I have no idea what his problem is. If I put an aftermarket ignition lock on my car will my aftermarket key fob from amazon still work?

I do locksmith things when not working on cars even own my own key cutting machine. Never ran into a situation like this. When I was working beside a locksmith they said normally they would do as your locksmith is going to do and go to the junkyard to source the wafers if the ones in the car already weren’t reusable. I don’t think it is worth buying a new car over though lol. Maybe rent one if you really need one. I can insure you as popular as your car is he probably won’t have an issue finding them depending on how many are over in your part of the country.

I do locksmith things when not working on cars even own my own key cutting machine. Never ran into a situation like this. When I was working beside a locksmith they said normally they would do as your locksmith is going to do and go to the junkyard to source the wafers if the ones in the car already weren’t reusable. I don’t think it is worth buying a new car over though lol. Maybe rent one if you really need one. I can insure you as popular as your car is he probably won’t have an issue finding them depending on how many are over in your part of the country.
Iam going there in half an hour and I will tell him to go junkyard diving to find me wafers. The car is in good shape no other problems and has 124 thousand miles on it

That is good. It will last a lot longer than that.
Most of the used car I looked at this week have more miles on them then mine. And who knows what else is wrong with them. I think my best bet is to tell him to junkyard dive and find wafers.

Here in the states you can get a replacement barrel with 2 new keys for $40~

A whole new ignition with switch would be $140~

Getting it to you in Greece should be doable
They have those here too but he wanted to fix my existing barrel. He told me it should be ready in a few days whatever that means. Hes already had the car since saturday morning

UPDATE: The crazy locksmith called me back and told me he ordered a used ignition from a crashed crv in Athens and it should get here by tomorrow. He wants to modify it so it works with my own keys . Said i should have my car back by friday. LETS SEE lol. Im at my wits end . A local mechanic i contacted today told me if i took the car to him he could have put a 40 dollar lock in it just like everyone here in this form told me.

What are wafers? Never even heard that term.
This is what they look like for my old BMW. I redid the cylinders in my old BMW a few times (broken key, got replacement doors once) and after doing it a while you can pick what wafer is needed just by looking at the key. They are stamped with letters or numbers and correspond to the notch depth in the key. These particular wafers are "double notch" since the BMW key can be inserted either up or down (second image).

51-21-9-556-313-BOE.jpg

image_4880_big.jpg

This is what they look like for my old BMW. I redid the cylinders in my old BMW a few times (broken key, got replacement doors once) and after doing it a while you can pick what wafer is needed just by looking at the key.

View attachment 43866
Yup those little metal pieces are the wafers..some people call them tumblers I guess. Those are what got mangled in mine.

Tumblers are usually round pins but the concept is similar.
I wonder how much this locksmith will charge me now because he has to put the used ignition cylinder were mine was plus he has to modify it to work with my old keys. Any ideas ??

I wonder how much this locksmith will charge me now because he has to put the used ignition cylinder were mine was plus he has to modify it to work with my old keys. Any ideas ??
In Greece? No clue. On my old Sienna the ignition lock housing had to be drilled to release the cylinder (different than the BMW) so I took a new one I bought at the dealer into a locksmith to have the wafers rearranged or replaced to match my old key. IIRC it was about $50 for him to do that. Maybe a little more, I don't recall exactly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back