Cruze vs Focus

Hi, Looking to pick up a spare vehicle to use when I don't want to drive my Silverado.
Been considering either a Cruze or Focus. Unsure as to which one would be the better
pick. I lean more towards the Focus but leering about that dual clutch auto trans.
Is there any years that don't have that issue? I would to be a domestic car.
Thanks

Which issue?

he probably means the awful DCT on the Focus. Almost every Focus 2012 and up has the DCT. A select few sedans with the 1.0T have a regular 6-speed automatic, but for the most part, they all have the DCT.

If he's looking for an older Focus 2011 and older, they didn't use the awful DCT.

he probably means the awful DCT on the Focus.

Yes, that's what I was comprehending.

Almost every Focus 2012 and up has the DCT. A select few sedans with the 1.0T have a regular 6-speed automatic, but for the most part, they all have the DCT.

Yes, I know.

If he's looking for an older Focus 2011 and older, they didn't use the awful DCT.

I'm not a Focus owner, so didn't catch that. From my understanding
current Minis use (at least roughly) the same Getrag made DCT and I
never heard of any troubles with it. While it didn't feel as good as a
DSG in a GTI when I drove a Cooper S last years I'd still would prefer
this DCT over a traditional auto provided there are no major flaws.

I’d rather walk than drive either of those cars. Terrible reliability on both.
I’d rather drive than walk. OP, do NOT get a Focus with an auto, they have a keen design flaw that will end in early death of the transmission. Cruze (later model) is the way to go if auto is necessary and these two are the only models you are considering.

I'd try to find a Buick Verano, nice cars and I like the larger engines used in them.
Careful with early years, these have the problematic 2.4. They seem more sorted by 2016-2017.

The 1.8L N/A & 1.4L Turbo engines in the Cruze need plastic coolant parts about every 60-80K miles, Most of these meet their end because coolant loss causing severe overheat.

The 1.8L has a Timing Belt.

The 1.4L/T has PCV issues that can crop-up.

The 6T35E/6T40E transmissions run hot requiring frequent fluid changes.

Replaced quite a few turbos on 1.4L's

I own a 71,000 mile '15 Cruze 1.4L/T that I bought really cheap, Replaced all the plastic cooling parts & Performed 2 drain & fills with Dexron VI.
Seems to be a decent enough vehicle, Just got to keep an eye on it!!
If you want a low maintenance compact......Get a 1.8L Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic.

I’d rather drive than walk. OP, do NOT get a Focus with an auto, they have a keen design flaw that will end in early death of the transmission. Cruze (later model) is the way to go if auto is necessary and these two are the only models you are considering.

Careful with early years, these have the problematic 2.4. They seem more sorted by 2016-2017.
I was being dramatic, but automatic Focus' are awful. The Cruze either has a 1.8 with an interference timing belt engine, not necessarily known for being a long life motor or the 1.4T with cooling system issues. Lots of those cars were lemon lawed.

So my brother owns a focus, 2015 MY, it had to have the Dual Clutch system replaced which was under warranty because Ford put the trans under some outrageously long warranty, it’s been about 2-3 years now and it’s acting up again which is no sweat because the warranty gets extended after the last replacement so he’s just waiting for them to fix it again and go another round

I am partial to Focus because my son drives one that's 2008 vintage. No real big issues with engine or transmission. Starts in cold Canadian winter without any issue and gets good gas mileage. Bluetooth and Sync still works well. Small things break off and needs fixing, but nothing a trip to salvage yard couldn't fix.

I was being dramatic, but automatic Focus' are awful. The Cruze either has a 1.8 with an interference timing belt engine, not necessarily known for being a long life motor or the 1.4T with cooling system issues. Lots of those cars were lemon lawed.
Fair enough. I'm far from a Chevy fan, but I have read of the 1.4 going 150K+ miles with little issue. I agree 100% on the Focus with auto trans, stay far, far away!

I am partial to Focus because my son drives one that's 2008 vintage. No real big issues with engine or transmission. Starts in cold Canadian winter without any issue and gets good gas mileage. Bluetooth and Sync still works well. Small things break off and needs fixing, but nothing a trip to salvage yard couldn't fix.
That seems to be my experience as well. I would recommend a 2.0 manual Focus for those who can do some simple mechanics. The 2012+ ones are pretty nice driving cars too, same mtx-75 and same mazda L engine with VVT added, as the 2005 and up. For a KISS cheaper nice driving car, a Focus is a good pick IMO. Corolla's here are about a third more.

I’ve not been in a Cruze, but spent right-seat time in a focus rs. The chassis, ergonomics, and general fit and finish in that one was quite good and quite competitive, and everything was tight, no wiggles, no rattles.

a diesel Cruze would be a fun, and different little scoot, however.

Back