Cruze 1.4T - best oil for short trips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cruze 1.4T Eco, M6 (Amsoil Synchromesh every 50k) 138k. Bought at 50k, originally started with PP. Switched over to M1 as it's often cheaper especially with the rebates, it can be very cheap and I figure it's pretty close/comparable to PP and I'll probably never know the difference lol. I have been using M1 0w30 AFE with 7500 mile changes for a while now. I read on here a while back that this engine just *shreds* oil and any synthetic is great, but the 1 or 2 UOAs I've seen show the oil was done at 7500, so that's when I change it. Haven't seen any UOA with any M1/PP

My question or situation that makes me want to ask for advice is a LOT of my driving is very short trips. I live 1.5 miles away from work. Work 7 days a week. Usually the furthest I drive in town is 3-5 miles away. That's almost all my driving. Now I do go visit my parents or go to an event usually 3-5x a month sometimes more which is 80+ miles one way.

I'm just wondering with this engine/my situation (turbo engine often on very short trips) am I better off running

M1 0w30 AFE (or maybe a normal M1 5w30 in summer? Someone also said not to run the 0w30 in a "cheaper/group 3 oil as it drives up volatility and increases oxidation?)

M1 5w30 EP (someone told me that's a bad choice for this engine, worse than normal M1?)

PP 5w30

I just run Delco filters as they have always looked great after use. I guess I want the best protection/oil that's going to last the longest. I know Amsoil SS is the answer to that but I don't want to pay $80 for an oil change when I can get something very good for $15-$30

So what oil/interval should I go with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our 2013 has seen:
M1 5w30 (reg and EP), PUP 5w30, M1 10w30 HM, PPE 5w30, and is now on M1 0w40.
Run 6k-7k per OLM …

Originally Posted by addyguy
Any of the oils you listed are just fine.

Don't over think it, you are doing good.

Sorry you have to work 7 days a week . Do it when your young I guess . Good for you visiting your parents also , alot of young people don't take the time to do it .
Yeah Castrol 0w40 cheap and tuff .

Its important to use OLM (oil life monitor), a message on the dash to tell you when to change oil. It will keep track of your short trips for you, estimating how much acid buildup results from that.

Any dexos1 0w30 or 5w30 will work fine. I like your Mobil1 AFE 0w30 choice best for this. It has some expensive PAO base oil in it.

There was one person on this forum who had a hole in his PF64 in a GM 2.0T engine less than a year ago. AC-Delco oil filters are cheaply made, not the best.
I'd get a NAPAgold or Wix oil filter or the new XG12060 Fram Ultra should be available for your engine soon. All those have a high enough bypass pressure threshold for the 1.4T engine.

If you want oil thats even more special, there is an HTHS 3.2 Mobil Delvac 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 5w30 (SN, FA-4). It might be hard to find the FA-4 variety of Delvac 1. It needs to say FA-4 to get the best HTHS level for you. This should handle soot very well. Turbo DI engines do generate a lot of soot after all. A Delvac truck oil supplier may have them, or can order one, and you can get gallon jugs, perfect for oil changes on your 4 qt sump. This oil has the SN gasoline engine qualification, and of course a pile of diesel engine specs to over-engineer the stuff.

Another special oil coming out in a few months is Mobil1 Turbo 5w30 oil, out on shelves in a few months I think. They brag about how well they do the dexos1 turbo coking test for that oil.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Its important to use OLM (oil life monitor), a message on the dash to tell you when to change oil. It will keep track of your short trips for you, estimating how much acid buildup results from that.

Any dexos1 0w30 or 5w30 will work fine. I like your Mobil1 AFE 0w30 choice best for this. It has some expensive PAO base oil in it.

There was one person on this forum who had a hole in his PF64 in a GM 2.0T engine less than a year ago. AC-Delco oil filters are cheaply made, not the best.
I'd get a NAPAgold or Wix oil filter or the new XG12060 Fram Ultra should be available for your engine soon. All those have a high enough bypass pressure threshold for the 1.4T engine.

If you want oil thats even more special, there is an HTHS 3.2 Mobil Delvac 1 Advanced Fuel Economy 5w30 (SN, FA-4). It might be hard to find the FA-4 variety of Delvac 1. It needs to say FA-4 to get the best HTHS level for you. This should handle soot very well. Turbo DI engines do generate a lot of soot after all. A Delvac truck oil supplier may have them, or can order one, and you can get gallon jugs, perfect for oil changes on your 4 qt sump. This oil has the SN gasoline engine qualification, and of course a pile of diesel engine specs to over-engineer the stuff.

Another special oil coming out in a few months is Mobil1 Turbo 5w30 oil, out on shelves in a few months I think. They brag about how well they do the dexos1 turbo coking test for that oil.

That turbo oil sounds interesting! The 1.4 T uses a drop in cartridge filter, not a lot of options. I can't remember who makes the AC Delco filter. It looks solid as can be when you take it out though. My dads old Ecotec 2.2, the filters used to come out looking pretty rough. I think I have a few Delcos to use up but I'll have to check if that filter is available yet

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kjmack

Sorry you have to work 7 days a week . Do it when your young I guess . Good for you visiting your parents also , alot of young people don't take the time to do it .

I haven't used Castrol since the German stuff back in the day. I never hear anything about it anymore

I work 2 full time jobs, 80-90 hours every week by choice. I'll "retire" once a few years when I'm 40 or so

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jdhommert

I haven't used Castrol since the German stuff back in the day. I never hear anything about it anymore

I work 2 full time jobs, 80-90 hours every week by choice. I'll "retire" once a few years when I'm 40 or so

Just doing some quick math, that leaves you something like 4.5 hours average, per day (depending on sleep habits) of free time. How do you get anything accomplished? I work 45 a week and I refuse to put in a dime more. I'm not going to kill myself now just to hate myself for it in a "comfortable" retirement.

Frequency of changes would be more important than the oil as long as it's approved by the manufacturer. Short trips don't let the oil get hot enough to boil off condensation so the water helps form acids that eat away at bearings. I'd do a change every 3,000 miles if the oil change monitor doesn't tell you first.

Originally Posted by 14Accent

Just doing some quick math, that leaves you something like 4.5 hours average, per day (depending on sleep habits) of free time. How do you get anything accomplished? I work 45 a week and I refuse to put in a dime more. I'm not going to kill myself now just to hate myself for it in a "comfortable" retirement.

I make it work. It's something I want to do, and I enjoy what I do so I dont wake up and dread it or anything, it's something I just wake up and do. I just rent so I dont have to deal with any BS of a house and since I'm going to move away from the area whenever I slow down or whatever. GF works quite a bit, so it works. We kind of "work hard play hard" as in we travel a few times a year and go to big events. Just went to NYC for 5 nights for a bunch of stuff, I went to Phoenix for a big event and to see the Grand Canyon, Nashville in the same long weekend off to see a concert. Going to Chicago for a day next weekend. I go to Detroit every year for the Woodward Dream Cruise. Going to San Francisco this fall to go see a very special concert and all the tourist stuff. I hit up MLB parks in every city I go to, and if I have a "short day" I run down to my Mom or Dads or whatever.

Sure it has it's struggles/frustrations and challenges, but I really think it'll be worth it.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by atikovi
Frequency of changes would be more important than the oil as long as it's approved by the manufacturer. Short trips don't let the oil get hot enough to boil off condensation so the water helps form acids that eat away at bearings. I'd do a change every 3,000 miles if the oil change monitor doesn't tell you first.

That's kind of what I'm wondering about too, if I need to change it more often. Or if running a better/different choice like M1 EP would help.

3k seems a little excessive though dont you think?

I do often get the car up to a decent temp, sitting in a drive thru on the way to/between jobs/on the way home etc

That's kind of what I'm wondering about too, if I need to change it more often. Or if running a better/different choice like M1 EP would help.

I do often get the car up to a decent temp, sitting in a drive thru on the way to/between jobs/on the way home etc

Even running M1 EP the OLM was done at 7k but what the heck
a good mix of short trips and 10 mile to 50 mile runs …

113B162B-5568-478E-BC24-616A41D5AF05.jpeg

Last edited:

Depends on what your goals are. Will your engine make it to 200,000 miles on 7,500 mile oil changes? Probably. Will it on 3,000 mile oil changes? Probably but will have less wear so more likely to make it to 300,000 miles than with 7,500 miles changes. Chances are you will total the car before it hits either mileages so maybe even 10,000 mile oil changes would be appropriate.

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Castrol Black Edge with it's 10-TBN would be a good choice here.

I'm all ears if you'd like to explain why/what that means lol

I doubt that but 5k is used by many these days …
(it was my 1st departure from 3k some 30 years back) …

O.k. I have a 1.4 t trax at 65k. Same engine. I do my own oil changes. Same short trips all kindsa city driving. First thing first. Dont follow the gm oil life meter if you want our car to last a long time. For Me at around 8k I start to worry... engine starts to sound rough. 10k I'm changing it no matter what even if the oil life meter says 35%. Ok so oil. I have used 5 of them. Castrol edge the gold bottle absolutely sucks. Its burning and evaporating I can see the smoke when I open the oil cap. Oil just vanishes and the engine is so loud. Delco full synth seemed to vanish as well but not as fast and was not as loud. Quaker State UD did not vanish and i didnt top up after 5k or even 7k. Mobil one EP gold cap also didnt top up and was super quiet after 7k. Extreme quiet. I camnot stress this enough. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum was quietest and also no topping up after 7k. As well. Note penz ultra platinum is not d1g2... But Pennzoil Ultra Platinum I bought on sale at 32 cdn and theres a rebate of 10 dollars online so thats 22 bucks cdn. Also using premium Guard extended mileage filters.

So yeah big fan of PUP, then mobil one ep, then QSUD. I would not use delco full syn. Castrol edge the gold bottle is absolute garbage. Whats left of my 5L bottle goes to my lawnmower.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back