Crushed oil filter from dealership oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had a tune up at the Honda dealership for my Civic, which included an oil change. I still had lots of life left in my M1, but it was included, so I thought nothing of it. I went to change the oil today and everything was fine until I had to take the filter off. The first thing I noticed was that it was slightly deformed. It looked like it was crushed by a filter wrench because it also had paint chipped off near the top. Needless to say, it was on TIGHT and it was a pain to get off. I was definitely frustrated. Has anyone else had this happen before?

We had a heck of a time getting a filter off my buddy's Chev half-ton one time. It had been changed at a quick-lube-type place. I don't know if the filter was deformed before removal since I didn't see it until it was already mangled from the attempted removal, but it must have been because the filter was so tight the filter gasket was squished out the side of the filter. It almost looked like it was made using RTV. I think we eventually got it off with a chisel, punch, and hammer. Drain plug was on ridiculously tight and had stripped threads too.

Just another reason I didn't use my "free oil change" coupons when I got my new car.

I used to tighten the filter with a filter wrench until one day I noticed oil leaking from the filter because the filter gasket was subjected to the "cookie cutter effect."
shocked.gif

Guys,
If you want the job done correctly, do it yourself. Save your time, money and aggravation.

Just hand tighten until it is VERY snug, the use a filter wrench to take it off.

The oil filter on my dad's 05' Honda was a B**** to take off.

Every week someone comes in with a filter so tight that it requires driving a steel rod thru it to get it off.

I agree to do it yourself, but it was included in the tune up so I thought what the heck? I had to use the screwdriver to take this one off, I've never had to use the screwdriver before!

I'd wager more oil filter leaks are caused by overtightening than undertightening the oil filter. Unfortunately, dealer and gypie-lube oilchange jockeys tend to be the gorillas who dropped out of high school in their junior year, and whose favorite tool is an impact wrench. I only made the mistake once of taking advantage of the dealer's free 1st oil and filter change. I snug my oil filters no tighter than I can remove by hand. In 44 years of doing my own maintenance I've never had one leak.

Every time I have had my oil changed at any shop and then tried to change it myself that next time both the drain plug and filter were on so tight it was a real chore to get them off.

I've found an impact wrench with low air pressure works good to slowly loosen an overtightened drain plug. A Vise Grip chain wrench works very well to get off an overtightened oil filter provided you have the space to get the chain wrench in there.

You've got to tell those numb-skulls not to over-tighten! They say it's for liability, but there's no good reason for it in my book.

The other day I helped my buddy do the first oil change on his '06 F150. We did not get the oil filter off; it was on too tight. The filter wrench was just chewing it all up. The good news is that the truck has only 1500 miles on it, so he's going to have the dealership get it off during the "first" free oil change.

It once took me almost four hours to wrestle off the filter on my Corolla. I started the job after the Advance Auto had closed, and the only filter they had at ClawMart was too big, so I ended up with a badly blistered hand, torn gloves, sore arms, and finally completed the change at about 3 in the morning, cracked open a beer, and promptly passed out.

Two months later, the same thing happened with the wife's CRV.

So now I make absolutely sure I can turn that thing with one hand and only minimal struggle, and to be on the safe side I look carefully once a week for any sign of leakage in case it's too loose. So far, no such problem.

I started changing my own oil many years ago because some knuckle head over tightened my drain plug. No grease monkey cares more about my vehicles than I do.

I agree with all those who say that when a filter is put on, tighten as snug as you can by hand, and no more. I have never had one work its way loose or leak, and they will all come off with a filter wrench.

And as for drain plugs being too tight, I have fumoto valves installed on all my 4 wheel vehicles.

For loosening an over eager filter, I've found nothing better than a chain wrench. I also found this filter wrench I think maybe at Sears Hardware that has like three tines on the end it will fit any filter size from maybe 2.5" to 5" dia. and takes a 3/8" drive socket wrench. It never slips and works great. Those rubber strap wrenches are worthless. The ones from Sears always just snap on me.

I only hand tighten the oil filter, usually 3/4 to 1 turn past gasket contact, then I back it off about 1/8". Never had a leak issue and filter always comes off easily next time.

Of course getting a shop to do that is not possible. Just like at tire shops that torque the lug nuts super tight.

quote:

KD TOOLS makes a very good filter wrench.

I have the 3324 and it seems good. My other filter wrenches are Lisle, but they didn't make one small enough for the little filters on an MX-6, so I found the KD for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back