Cruise control code P1565 in 1995 Olds 88

Cruise doesn't work and I have code P1565 for Cruise Servo Position Sensor Circuit. Code comes back after I erase it. This car uses a vacuum actuated throttle cable servo, not the electric motor version. I assume that position sensor is inside the servo unit and not replaceable. Any older GM techs have suggestions on how to diagnose?

I found the 2 pins on the servo that come from the position sensor. Open circuit and no change when I move the servo cable. Looks like it needs a new servo unit. Will try and open it up and see if anything inside can be cleaned or replaced.

You're on the right track. There's probably a rheostat in there that needs "TV tuner cleaner" or a similar electrical contact cleaner. MAF spray if you have it.

cruise control sets off the CEL? :eek: :poop:

I hope cars older than 96 are exempt from emissions where you are :D

At least that 95 GM has OBD2 and not that silly OBD 1.5 system with the OBD2 plug :sneaky:

My wife's HHR had a cruise control code but no CEL.

Funny story, she had it valet parked, and the valet backed it up then slammed it into drive while rolling. This set a code that didn't light the CEL but kept the cruise control from working.

Cleared the code, everything worked.

Back