Crown Vic PI and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Definitely use the Motorcraft FL820-S oil filter. Also, I'd stick with 5W-30. I just tried 5W-20 (changed to it a week ago) in my T-Bird, and the engine is noticeably louder. Acceleration doesn't seem as smooth either, but I have nothing but my senses to go on for that. Then again, I've driven this car almost every day for 15 years, so I definitely notice changes in its performance. Maybe I shouldn't have switched to a lighter oil in a car this old...maybe it's better in a newer car.

Originally Posted By: erogers
Maybe I shouldn't have switched to a lighter oil in a car this old...maybe it's better in a newer car.

Not according to Scott Whitehead.
28.gif

+1
Since this looks like a pool car and not a take home car JohnBrownings post would be the way to go. [/quote]

I have considered Auto-RX. The local police department actually allows all cars to be driven home by their respective officers. Someone I know who has a family member on the force said it was most likely a detectives car. (no push bar etc)So it probably wasn't pushed that hard. Would Castrol GTX be a good oil to run with Auto-RX? I just so happen to have a spare 5qt jug sitting with my tools. (so happy to have a nice car I bought the next oil change when I bought the first
19.gif
)

Castrol GTX would be fine. Run it to 5,000 miles for the clean phase, and 6,250 miles for the rinse phase.

I agree, AutoRX it. I'm pretty fond of Pennzoil platinum 5W-20, but the 5W-30 would also be fine. I also liked the Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W-20.

The Purolator PureONE PL24651 is also a great filter, and would be a good alternative to the FL-820S. That's what I'm currently running in my 96 Crown Vic P71. There is a slight amount of occasional startup rattle, but it doesn't bother me anymore. I like knowing that my oil is being well filtered

Originally Posted By: Nephets
with a 5000mile clean phase, when would I change the filter? 2500?

Don't really think there's a need, but change it at 2,500 miles if it makes you sleep better.
55.gif

So why don't you think there is a need to change the filter? Wouldn't all that [censored] in the motor clog up the oil filter?

I changed the filter early on my car during both the clean and rinse and it looked no different than any other filter I've taken off of it. Yours could be different, but I highly suspect that it won't be.

Gah! You guys are a bad influence. I just clicked order on three bottles of AutoRX. I will probably change the filters in the middle of the cycle just because there is no way to know how bad this motor is...

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

The Purolator PureONE PL24651 is also a great filter, and would be a good alternative to the FL-820S. There is a slight amount of occasional startup rattle, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

I have a '96 Town Car so we have the same engine. From one 4.6 owner to another I'm not so sure about OTHER filters on our cars.
The 820S - No start up rattle ever.
Tried a Mobil 1 210 last winter and got start up rattle for the first time.
Many people, with a multitude of filters, report start up rattle on our cars.

I think that any benefit of superior filtration is considerably offset by an increase in probable start up wear. That sound we hear is real. There is no way that it is meaningless.

People here take 6ppm of iron seriously. We should at least take the sound of metal striking metal seriously. Especially when we know how to eliminate that sound.

I doubt I'll ever use anything but the 820S again.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

I have a '96 Town Car so we have the same engine. From one 4.6 owner to another I'm not so sure about OTHER filters on our cars.

I think that any benefit of superior filtration is considerably offset by an increase in probable start up wear. That sound we hear is real. There is no way that it is meaningless.

People here take 6ppm of iron seriously. We should at least take the sound of metal striking metal seriously. Especially when we know how to eliminate that sound.

I probably will not use any other filter as this is a Ford filter specifically for the 4.6l.

Originally Posted By: Art_Vandelay

The Purolator PureONE PL24651 is also a great filter, and would be a good alternative to the FL-820S. There is a slight amount of occasional startup rattle, but it doesn't bother me anymore.

I did occasionally get rattle, even with the FL-820S, but the PL24651 isn't that much worse. I've got another PL24651 on right now with a thinner oil than before (Mobil 1 10W-30 High mileage then, Quaker State Horsepower 5W-20 now) and have not heard any startup rattle at all. The better filtering is worth some occasional rattle to me.

I've got another PL24651 on right now with a thinner oil than before (Mobil 1 10W-30 High mileage then, Quaker State Horsepower 5W-20 now) and have not heard any startup rattle at all. The better filtering is worth some occasional rattle to me.

I have wondered if the rattle is a combination of thicker oil and not using an 820S. I had GC 0w-30 in it when I got the rattle last winter.
I just put Mobil 1 0w-20 in and an 820S on last month. I'm curious how much better sounding my cold starts will be in the middle of winter.

I'm going to switch to Amsoil 10W-30 and use a Ford Racing CM-6731-FL820 oil filter, which is basically a Motorcraft FL820-S on steroids. It has more filter media, and the media itself is better (I intend to do a one-year OCI). I'llpost on whether this combination works in my 4.6 T-Bird over the cold winter months. I've never had start-up noise with a Motorcraft filter, but I have heard the noise using Wix filters. Ford/Motorcraft oil filters are all I'll use now for this engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back