Crown Vic PI and oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
So right now, I'm just running some cheap walmart oil for 2-3k to help clean out the crank case. Just wondering what oil would be best to run in this car. Right now I've got 5w30 SuperTech from Walmart in the crank case. and upon further inspection online, it appears as though Ford back speced the motor to run 5w20. I was thinking about running some GC in it, but I haven't a clue as to where to find it. But I am open to suggestions as to what to run in it.

Car back ground: 2000 Interceptor, Retired from service probably in late 07 or 08 with roughly 104k on the clock. Sat at motor pool until auction. Sticker on the window said OC was due at Jiffy Lube way back in 07. The oil that was in the crank case looked okay, (still golden in color, no grit etc) but I changed it anyways after giving the car a good 60 mile jaunt around the Tulsa area. Oil came out black as a tire. (Yes, I know. Color isn't everything)

You could continue using SuperTech. Nothing wrong with it. Quaker State conventional 5w20 is a good deal too. If you want to step it up, run Motorcraft 5W20.

I don't think I will be running the Supertech stuff again as with that oil it has a little bit of cold start noise in the valve train, where as with the other unknown (probably pyb) it didn't. And i'm using the Motorcraft filter, I believe 920S so I don't think its the filter.

They say "Peak" 5w30 is pretty thin so it's a good compromise towards 5w20. OTOH if you get Warren supertech (small mouth bottle) it could be the same stuff.

I have bulk (probably mobil clean) 5w30 in my 97 grand marquis and the motor sounds very happy and gets 23.5 MPG around town (with 2.73 gears.)

Originally Posted By: Nephets
I don't think I will be running the Supertech stuff again as with that oil it has a little bit of cold start noise in the valve train, where as with the other unknown (probably pyb) it didn't. And i'm using the Motorcraft filter, I believe 920S so I don't think its the filter.

First off
welcome2.gif
to BITOG.

Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W-20 with the Motorcraft 820S oil filter. Change it every 5K.

Thanks for the welcome Johnny.

I plan on trying many different oils in this car to see what she like and doesn't. So keep the suggestions coming guys. Up next 5w20 in the Pennzoil flavor.

In my old 96 Merc GM 4.6 I did 10,000 mile OCIs with no problems. Car had 218,000 miles on it when I sold it in Aug. and still ran great and engine was very clean. M1 10-30 and 10-30EP.

I would stick with 5W-30, but I would use one of the major brands, Pennzoil, Havoline, etc.

And stick with the Motorcraft FL-820S, it's a better filter than it's Purolator Pure One equivalent.

I would Auto-Rx it I think any used car that you have no idea about should get it! THis way you get to start with a clean pick up screen, ring pack and oil galleys even if their is nothing else in their to clean those area's alone are so vital. For instance if their is enough varnish on a pickup screen to be seen with the naked eye you have a 30% reduction in oil volume and flow.Manely and other oil pump manufactures have stated this many times in the past in various Hot Rod magazines hence the reason you never see them reusing a pick-up screen! I usually cleaned them with solvent and reused them but you see where I am going.

No need to use sytnetics in the engine but if you wanted to after you finished the clean and rinse phases of ARX that would be a good time to make the switch!

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I would try Motorcraft 5W-20 in it.
55.gif

Make that Motorcraft 5W-30 and you'll get a "+1" from me too.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Ben99GT
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I would try Motorcraft 5W-20 in it.
55.gif

Make that Motorcraft 5W-30 and you'll get a "+1" from me too.
grin2.gif

+1

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I would Auto-Rx it I think any used car that you have no idea about should get it! THis way you get to start with a clean pick up screen, ring pack and oil galleys even if their is nothing else in their to clean those area's alone are so vital. For instance if their is enough varnish on a pickup screen to be seen with the naked eye you have a 30% reduction in oil volume and flow.Manely and other oil pump manufactures have stated this many times in the past in various Hot Rod magazines hence the reason you never see them reusing a pick-up screen! I usually cleaned them with solvent and reused them but you see where I am going.

No need to use sytnetics in the engine but if you wanted to after you finished the clean and rinse phases of ARX that would be a good time to make the switch!

+1
Since this looks like a pool car and not a take home car JohnBrownings post would be the way to go.

Welcome to the boards. 0W-20/5W-20/0W-30/5W-30/10W-30 will be fine. Just make sure it is GF-4 rated oil (conforming to Ford WSS-M2C935A spec).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back