Crown Vic - One Tough Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
These crown-vics are junk posts are about as bad as the guys at work that rag on the Escape's they used to drive. After driving the replacement Jeeps for a month and all the window tracks broke allowing the windows to be in open position in the middle of January the tune was changed. That was just one problem. Had the Escapes 4yr and 150k (probably 400k with idle time) just normal repairs. No automobile is meant to run 24x7.. even in security roles it'll wear them out.. usually Ford's last the longest. Chevy and Jeep well won't go there. Just my view.

I was in Toronto for a meeting a while back and I had to take a cab from my hotel to the office for a meeting and this African guy (he told me he was from Africa) picked me up in a beat up Crown Vic that had over 600K KM on the ODO and had the check engine light flashing and the car was chugging something fierce when sitting at the lights.

I asked the cabbie about the car, and he told me that 2 cylinders out of 8 had almost no compression and that he was just driving it until next month when it was due to be retired because of its age. (We have a law that requires all cars to be retired after a certain period of time for public safety)

I was shocked when he told me it was the original engine but had top end work done to it like head gaskets etc.

Puffed a bit of blue smoke when he left, but otherwise was ok.

Too bad the engine was dead on 2 cylinders.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Originally Posted By: mrsilv04

No offense to any of you, but please go find a Panther forum somewhere to share your mutual fondness...

No offense taken, but read the title of this thread "Crown Vic - One Tough Car"

It is a mini-Panther/Vic forum.

I love my Grand Marquis. Just got back from its first long road trip and averaged a little over 28 mpg. Not bad for a tank.

Johnny, that's great mileage. My old 96 doesn't get that good of MPG but it's a great road car even with the miles. Two weeks ago my wife and I and another couple took a 200 mile trip in the Merc. The other couple commented on how nice my Merc still runs, and how comfortable it is. What a shame they will no longer be built.

They're so tough that the local PD dumps them prior to reaching 90,000 miles, with a lengthy list of all of the repairs that it took just to get the car to that point.

No offense to any of you, but please go find a Panther forum somewhere to share your mutual fondness...

Where in the forum rules does it say, "No discussion of Panther cars allowed?" This website is for all kinds of vehicles, and we have every right to talk about these cars if we want. As was said before, if you don't want to read it, then don't click on the d*mn thread.

Originally Posted By: ScubaCat
When you have several different guys driving the car 22 hours a day 365 days a year

Police departments have found that the cars are taken care of better if they assign the car to one officer and let them take it home.

Originally Posted By: tig1
What a shame they will no longer be built.

Your '96 is actually one of the best Panthers built in terms of quality. '97 onwards, Ford started their de-contenting/cheapening programme. As a simple comparison, compare the thickness of your carpets with that of a '98+ and you will see what I mean. The '09 Grand Marquis LS, loaded to the nose, doesn't even come with a power passenger seat any more.
frown.gif

Year after year, Ford neglected this platform and I think it's a real shame. Cannot speak for North America, but here nearly every other household has at least one Crown Victoria or Grand Marquis. They're driven by every member of the family, and sometimes abused/neglected...yet clock up thousands of trouble-free miles.

When I watch "COPS" on tv I do sometimes see a bright yellow out of focus light on the dashboard. Doesn't seem to affect anything.

I wonder if the OP's cab was "leased to driver"... a great way to get a turkey.

They have the worst sending units,made out the worst metal out there and there is no way of saving them when a fuel pump goes out on them.The only option is to replace the sending unit when changing the fuel pump at the same time including making new lines.Had one in about 3 monthes ago with a bad fuel pump and would not start.The sending unit had to be replaced too,too corroded up with rust including new lines made with Dorman's fuel line repair kit

Originally Posted By: brianl703
When you have several different guys driving the car 22 hours a day 365 days a year

Police departments have found that the cars are taken care of better if they assign the car to one officer and let them take it home.

Most definitely, that is most often done in very small depts though. In my area NYS troopers, sheriff deputies and city cops all leave the cars for the next shift.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Johnny

No offense taken, but read the title of this thread "Crown Vic - One Tough Car"

It is a mini-Panther/Vic forum.

I love my Grand Marquis. Just got back from its first long road trip and averaged a little over 28 mpg. Not bad for a tank.

Johnny, that's great mileage. My old 96 doesn't get that good of MPG but it's a great road car even with the miles. Two weeks ago my wife and I and another couple took a 200 mile trip in the Merc. The other couple commented on how nice my Merc still runs, and how comfortable it is. What a shame they will no longer be built.

The LX HPP I had was essentially identical to the PD cars except for the air bag rear suspension. If I drove 55mpg with the cruise I could get 28MPG easily. The cars are vastly underrated and a superior value for your money.

A clue? Let's see... Dad was a cop, and I have a cousin who has been a local sheriff's deputy for 20 years now.

So what, it does not mean you or they know squat about these cars. Police carry guns too, does that mean they are expert shooters? Apparently not, as they who attend the regular IDPA shoots in my area rank in the lower 25% while I , a regular joe blow, rank in the upper 25% with regularity.
grin2.gif

I stand behind everything I wrote in the post you quoted. To clarify, when I said rammed, do not mean ramming a stationary car at 55mph or something, I mean as pushing cars out of the way, take downs by using PIT maneuvers etc etc...

Actually here in the Miami area the patrol cars [CVPI] are serviced regularly every 3K miles and generally stay on duty till 150K miles then go to taxi service till around 400K miles. Most all of the driving is stop and go with the a/c on.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
They have the worst sending units,made out the worst metal out there and there is no way of saving them when a fuel pump goes out on them.The only option is to replace the sending unit when changing the fuel pump at the same time including making new lines.Had one in about 3 monthes ago with a bad fuel pump and would not start.The sending unit had to be replaced too,too corroded up with rust including new lines made with Dorman's fuel line repair kit

No, the GM pumps in the trucks are the worst out there. Dropping like flies.

The original pump in my '89 was swapped out when I did heads/cam/intake on it. There was no rust, the pump looked like new, as did the sending unit. The only reason I took it out was to replace it with a higher volume pump to feed the modified engine.

I have literally seen probably a hundred of the pumps and sending units outside these cars, sitting in the trunks next to the tanks at the local wreckers. These come from cabs and cruisers that have been wrecked or scrapped for one reason or another. I have never seen a rusty one.

Your experience is likely the exception, but I know that you like to bad-mouth Ford every chance you get, so it doesn't surprise me.

...while I , a regular joe blow, rank in the upper 25% with regularity.

Joe Blow is right... or should that be Joe Six-Pack? Thanks for clarifying that for us.

Have a nice day.

Wow that's impressive you guys are getting mpg in the high twenties! That's as good or better then I got with my Mitsu Outlander 2.4L on a trip!

REDDOG

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
I get mid to high 20's in town, and high 20's on the highway in my 96 Crown Vic It all depends on how you drive.

+1

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: wafrederick1

No, the GM pumps in the trucks are the worst out there. Dropping like flies.

I agree. From my experience at some of the GM forums, a LONG life for a GM pump is 100,000 miles.
One of my Fords has over 200,000 miles and it still has the original pump - as well as engine, transmission, power steering pump, a/c compressor and water pump - not to mention starter.

My Merc has the original PS pump, starter, alternator, AC compressor, exhaust system except cats. been agood car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back