Crossing the Canadian Border by car

I’m headed across the US / Canadian border by car next week for the first time in over two years. After looking into the situation, I find you still need to have a vaccination card but no longer need any testing. So basically you’ll need your vax card and passport. It’s the same rule in both directions. Come on up. It’s time.

No politics please. I just wanted to clarify things at the border. Flying across still requires tests.

Went on a fall fishing trip to Ontario last year. Arrival process was easy, short of making sure the required testing (at that time) was complete.

We had one member of our party whose testing did not come back in time who then had to scramble but got it done. At the time, three members (of four) in our group were also selected for random testing in Canada.

Looking forward to traveling without the testing requirement.

I just visited 2 weeks ago. 2 questions about where im from and where im going..
and 39 questions about do i own guns and their location.
Was comical. Was trying super hard to remain respectful.. the 3rd time he asked me if I was sure there were none with me.

American side 5 questions including why am I wearing steelers gear when I'm from ohio (lol) (she had a bills hat on)

Also passed some car getting strip searched.. one tiny guy and 4 huge dudes.. I'm guessing he was the under dash guy lol

I went north and opened the cottage this past weekend. Went last August for 10 days too. As long as you complete the questionnaire on the ArriveCan app, there is no problem at all.
Coming back to the states as a US citizen was no different than any other time in the past 15 years. I'm unsure of the US entry requirements for non-citizens.

I’m headed across the US / Canadian border by car next week for the first time in over two years. After looking into the situation, I find you still need to have a vaccination card but no longer need any testing. So basically you’ll need your vax card and passport. It’s the same rule in both directions. Come on up. It’s time.

No politics please. I just wanted to clarify things at the border. Flying across still requires tests.
+1
We're also heading down by car to WA state next week for the first time since 2019.
I'm sure it'll be fine, but ya never know!
🤞

Yes, the Arrive Can app is still required to be filled in 72 hours before you come across. Just google Arrive Can and pickup the app. It’s pretty easy.
I would just like to clarify that for people who dont know:

Has to be LESS than 72hours before you cross.. can be same day.

Filled out my passport info, and uploaded Vac card image.. can also do others in your party if you travel together frequently..
such as wife, kids etc.

I've never had a problem going into Canada, but returning to the US the border agents are always nasty.
I’ve had exactly the opposite experience.

Condescending, rude, confrontational border agents with nothing better to do than question me for half an hour and threaten to deny entry.

I’ll fly to Canada. I won’t drive there again.

Condescending, rude, confrontational border agents with nothing better to do than question me for half an hour and threaten to deny entry.

Interesting. Now I did get Global Entry a few years ago but haven't driven across since, so I don't know if that would help my reentry to the US.

We were stuck in over an hour long wait to cross into Canada near Detroit a few years ago. The border agent started questing me if I owned guns, when was the last time I shot guns, the current location of my guns., if I had any guns or ammo in the car, if I was going to shoot guns in Canada, etc. It was ridiculous. After the long delay, I was in no mood for stupid questions.

Border agents can be ridiculous wherever you go.

When I was a medical intern I was invited to a community in the US for an interview. The border agent gave me the 3rd degree and then some. He wanted me to prove that I had been invited and wasn't just looking for a job. He eventually let me (us) go but with a time limited stay.

Been wanting to go to Van BC since they ended the test requirement. really itching for some good sushi and chinese food. Heard the lines have been long so i will wait it out till it mellows .

last time i went to canada , the canada border guys asked me " where were my guns " instead of " do i have any firearms with me" . i am sure they have CCW info that has been shared with them .

The last time I drove into the US I was literally there for three minutes explaining why I didn’t have a front license plate on my car, and I have a Nexus (priority) card. Sometimes these guys are just bored or in a bad mood.

Was this the border agent in question? If so, be advised that we as a nation channel all of our discourteousness into their kind; a good cop/ bad cop type of arrangement.

636601879148177130-canada-goos-attack.jpg

I've had "good" luck on both sides, maybe not so much good luck as it was "generic" questions of where I'm going, how long, and if I have any weapons in the car, where I live, birthday, etc.

last time i went to canada , the canada border guys asked me " where were my guns " instead of " do i have any firearms with me" . i am sure they have CCW info that has been shared with them .

I assume the same too. I do know they track time though; a friend and I took a day-trip from Chicago to Toronto and the US border person was astounded we only stayed in Toronto for a whole 6-8 hours without even asking us.

Was this the border agent in question? If so, be advised that we as a nation channel all of our discourteousness into their kind; a good cop/ bad cop type of arrangement.

View attachment 99727
That’s hilarious!

But no, once was a guard at the Detroit-Windsor crossing. And once just South of Montreal.

Same experience. First question - do you own guns? Yes.

Downhill from there.

Do you have them with you? No

Why not? They’re illegal here

How do I know you’re telling the truth? If I wanted to lie, I would’ve said no to your first question

And on to literally hundreds of questions, many of them repeated, over the next HALF AN HOUR

Back