Cross Country Road Trip Oil Suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I think I may be driving from Virginia to California in June and will be staying there for two months then driving back. I was thinking about using a high quality synthetic oil and doing the trip to and from on the same oil. I estimate I would put about 8,000 miles on my car in this two month time frame. Considering ~6,000 miles will be strictly highway, I think this would be safe. I was thinking of maybe Mobil 1 0w-40 or 10w-30 with a Wix/Napa Gold 51344(oversize) filter for my Acura.
What do you guys think? Oh and the engine holds about 4.25 quarts.

[ March 25, 2004, 11:03 PM: Message edited by: HondaRD ]

Seems reasonable. I've been putting 6,000 miles per oil change on Hondas with mixed driving for years with good results. 8,000 all highway shouldn't be any worse.

I've always used 10W-30 in them, but in the summer 0W-40 will be running thinner than 10W-30 in the winter, so it might be a good opportunity to give it a try and see if you can tell any difference.

Which route are you taking and which end of Califonia.

Be sure your cooling system is in good condition, you will be seeing some high altitude in hot weather. Not a problem if things are in decent condition.

[ March 25, 2004, 11:39 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

Thanks for the input. I plan on going to the Torrance area in Los Angeles. I have not decided on a route just yet since I still have some time left for planning. Yes I agree on the cooling system check. I will be replacing the thermostat since I think it is the original one from 1995 and flushing the system with some Zerex G-05 pretty soon.

You might want to give Mobil T&S 5W-40 a try. That stuff is made for long hauls under heavy loads. I'm planning to put that into my '95 Accord as soon as I finish my ARX treatment.

Since your trip is going to be all highway miles with few cold starts then I'd focus on fuel economy. Wear shouldn't be a issue with this driving style.

I'd choose Mobil's synthetic 0w/5w-30. Viscosity differences for start-up at normal spring time temperatures of between 50ºF to 70ºF between the 10w-30 and the 5w-30 are actually pretty large so you'd most likely see a fuel economy improvement yet at operating temps the 0W-30 is actually a tad bit thicker. (10cst's vs. 10.3cst).

This is all purely numerical data but since it's a road trip you just might save a few dollars on fuel and have excellent wear numbers to boot.

My vote is Mobil-1 5W-30.

I am not going to suggest any oil.
But I am going to suggest whatever oil you are going to use give it a short interval before your trip.Then change it again so you have a fresh change for the trip.
Good advice oil gurus??
RichR

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
GC would work well.

I am considering this as well. I just have to find some first. My only concern is whether GC can last as long as M1 in an extended interval situation such as this. From what I have read, it sure does sound like it can. I will go try and locate some very soon. Everyone who uses GC seems to like it and makes their engines run quieter compared to M1.

quote:

Originally posted by HondaRD:

quote:

Originally posted by Brett Miller:
GC would work well.

I am considering this as well. I just have to find some first. My only concern is whether GC can last as long as M1 in an extended interval situation such as this. From what I have read, it sure does sound like it can. I will go try and locate some very soon. Everyone who uses GC seems to like it and makes their engines run quieter compared to M1.

GC runs a whole lot more quiet than Mobil 1 10w30 did in my father's 1998 A6 2.8 30v, although the 10w30 got a good UOA when I used it for 7000 miles. I think you will like this oil.

M1 will work. Stick to whatever viscosity you have been using in the car before. Personally, I think a good g3 Like castrol or havoline will also work for that interval. That is off the shelf oil. Many more excellent options are available mail order.

quote:

Originally posted by RichR:
I am not going to suggest any oil.
But I am going to suggest whatever oil you are going to use give it a short interval before your trip.Then change it again so you have a fresh change for the trip.
Good advice oil gurus??
RichR

I agree with this plan. That way on the long trip the oil is on it's second interval, so it's TBN should have a better chance of staying higher (since the first switch to a new oil can sometimes cause the TBN to drop faster).

I don't know which "Acura" you have...

Were it an '86 Legend with 176,987 miles I would suggest you take the opportunity to do an Auto-Rx (or two) on it, en route... Use dino.

A NSX with 7,567 miles might be different.

A NEW(er) Acura with a potential oil-related Warranty Question, different still?

A cross country trip of that length provides a perfect opportunity to find out a lot about your vehicle and its lubrication.

An oil analysis afterwards would certainly be an appropriate expenditure...

I find it hard to believe that a pre-trip oil & filter change with almost any SL oil that meets the factory temp recommendation would not prove effective.

Any M1 should suffice.

Have fun on your trip! Have you ever driven crosscountry before?
burnout.gif

Switch to whichever one you want now. The first oil change with synthetic usually doesn't last too long considering it's cleaning.

Then do a UOA. Make sure your car can handle the long drain.

Need more info on your car. Is it in good condition and such?

8,000 highway miles over a short period would be a cake walk for any good oil. Any syn would do fine, although I'd suggest if you wanted to save a few bucks, a "diesel" oil such as Rotella, Delo 400, etc. would do fine as well, at half the cost of syn for this particular trip. You won't be experiencing any truly long drain intervals, cold temp starts, or repeated dry starts on this trip -- all the tasks which syn performs well at. Therefore a diesel lube would perform exceptionally well and cost half as much. And with their high TBNs (Rotella's TBN is 11.5 versus 7 for a typical "gasoline" oil), these oils should still have significant detergent/dispersant performance at the end of your trip. For your circumstances, my vote for best cost-benefit performance would be for diesel.

[ March 27, 2004, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: TC ]

As much as i love synthetics
smile.gif

Here is a great spin although it was not my intention to "hijack" your thread.

Is this not an IDEAL situation for an Auto-RX treat + wash cycle?

East Coast to W. Coast trip:

Mobil Delvac 1300 or Chevron Delo 400 + 1 Bottle Auto RX + Filter

At California get oil change.

West Coast to East Coast

New Mobil or Chevron for Rinse.

Change oil when back
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back