Crockpot Herb Butter Chicken and Wild Rice recipe

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Came across the recipe - I have not tried it, but the recipe looks like a great winter dish, that will have the house smell nice all day and when it is time to eat, just serve up. All the preparation is done early on.

that looks really good
not quite fire and forget with broiling the chicken etc but looks like a winner.

that looks really good
not quite fire and forget with broiling the chicken etc but looks like a winner.
Rand, yes I saw that. I would likely brown the chicken, hard, hit, and fast prior to placing in the crock pot, instead of broiling at the end. It is hard to brown something wet. Not sure about the author's choice to broil at the end.

It might works better with boneless breasts and or thighs. Brown the skin side first then add to the pot with the rice and other stuff.

I wonder about the rice in the crock pot. Would it come out right?

Our slow cooker -there really must be a size cut-off where a crockpot becomes a slow cooker (ha-ha)- is the best gift I've ever been part recipient of.
The first thing I learned was the necessity of pre-browning (brazing, perhaps?) meats.
I sure haven't done it all but that slow cooker has yet to disappoint.

I even have a great wild rice tale!

Reactions: GON
Rand, yes I saw that. I would likely brown the chicken, hard, hit, and fast prior to placing in the crock pot, instead of broiling at the end. It is hard to brown something wet. Not sure about the author's choice to broil at the end.
I like your idea! Brown the chicken first in a frying pan. (y)

ACSM,

I hope to make this in the next three weeks. I am back home but had to order a new crock pot. The new crock pot will arrive in the next two weeks. Looking forward to sharing the results.
I’m thinking about trying to make it this weekend. Providing that I’m in town.

ACSM,

I hope to make this in the next three weeks. I am back home but had to order a new crock pot. The new crock pot will arrive in the next two weeks. Looking forward to sharing the results.
Good luck on your new crock pot, GON. The last few I have gotten all boil the food. High, low or simmer, no difference except the time it takes to boil. I should just throw them in the trash and be done.

The only one I use is my first. Amazing that it still works, after all these years. Probably got it in the late 1970's or early 1980's. I forget.

Heck, it may have been a wedding present when I got married in 1975! ;)

• Helpful
Good luck on your new crock pot, GON. The last few I have gotten all boil the food. High, low or simmer, no difference except the time it takes to boil. I should just throw them in the trash and be done.

The only one I use is my first. Amazing that it still works, after all these years. Probably got it in the late 1970's or early 1980's. I forget.

Heck, it may have been a wedding present when I got married in 1975! ;)
JD, you nailed it. My wife bought a new crockpot to replace a old but perfectly working crockpot. The new crockpot burnt the food. My wife threw away the old crockpot.

I went with the kitchen aide crockpot recommended by america test kitchen, after watching a YouTube review. Hope it works, but seems like crockpot are no longer a dependable appliance

I bought all the ingredients on the way home from work tonight. I plan on making it tomorrow.

Will report back (y)

Dinner is served! All it needs is a little more salt, and it’s perfect! Almost has a sweet flavor to it. The first picture is when I first put it all in the crock pot. The last two are the finished product. I made it on the 8hr setting.
BA31BF2F-32D3-47D5-AAE1-9C0A1A01DF3D.jpeg
937F1355-B493-4BF6-9358-B1D5767F95CA.jpeg
4D6A3ACC-E576-4C9B-896F-FA0CDA13C675.jpeg

Back