Cricket Wireless - OnePlus phone no longer can be used because of recent upgrade BS.

I still own the OnePlus 5 and the new OnePlus 8 pro. The 5 is better in a number of ways and not "ancient" other than the security patch being outdated if you don't start updating it with custom ROMs.

Headphone jack I use every day, better battery life despite being 3 years old, easier to hang onto, and the fingerprint sensor and face unlock are both faster (especially fingerprint). The in display sensors aren't great yet.
I love my OnePlus... Software updates and all sorts of features. It's really NOT ancient. When did having a product for three years become "old"?? Sheeesh... I just think it's ATT. The Tech I spoke with said these devices no longer work. Really? Or maybe they just don't like unlocked phones. Needless to say... their customer service is terrible.

I dont know guys (and girls) Technology moves forward, you cant expect the three cell phone providers to stop progress because a handful of phone makers had poor design/enengineering. But with that said, technology moves forward, many phones have no issues and when its time to replace we do.

You cant expect technology to stop..
My 3+ year old $199 (at the time) Huawei Mate SE is now a hand me down to my daughter in another state. Thing was ahead of its time AND still works 100% perfect on ATT network. Just last month her older even cheaper Huawei was working just fine too. So that tells you something about the OnePlus that cant even make it a few years.
Then go the older 4 or 5 year old iPhones, same deal, work perfect as does a whole host of other phones.
So blame the manufacturer of your device not the phone providers or simply switch providers.

(just talking here)

I dont know guys (and girls) Technology moves forward, you cant expect the three cell phone providers to stop progress because a handful of phone makers had poor design/enengineering. But with that said, technology moves forward, many phones have no issues and when its time to replace we do.

You cant expect technology to stop..
My 3+ year old $199 (at the time) Huawei Mate SE is now a hand me down to my daughter in another state. Thing was ahead of its time AND still works 100% perfect on ATT network. Just last month her older even cheaper Huawei was working just fine too. So that tells you something about the OnePlus that cant even make it a few years.
Then go the older 4 or 5 year old iPhones, same deal, work perfect as does a whole host of other phones.
So blame the manufacturer of your device not the phone providers or simply switch providers.

(just talking here)

I would agree with you (except) for the this point - My OnePlus phone actually DID WORK and would still be on the network had I not removed my Sim-card. This alerted the network to my phone and apparently, ATT does not want my phone to be used any longer on their network. They even admitted this to me. Why? We can open a whole new topic on this...

Having noted this... my apparently "antiquated 3-year old major phone brand phone" works perfectly on the T-Mobile network and is using HD Voice (VoLTE) amongst other features the ATT boys said my phone didn't support. Really ATT?

It's not OnePlus's fault as some have said. The phone is every bit as good (or better) than your Huawei. (Maybe try removing that SIM for awhile and seeing what happens? (Or, go to their website and plug-in the IMEI and see if it's supported.)

I get what you are trying to say... but it's not a valid point because we both know ATT's business model does not like phones that are not on their "approved list".

It's like driving your Tesla to a recharge station and them telling you - "Um...sorry buddy that fancy rechargeable car you have there no longer uses "electricity"... Then you go across the street and plug-into another station as they scrath their heads wondering how the heck did you get that to work over there????

I don’t disagree with you regarding your circumstances.^^
Thanks. I understand things don't last forever, (Especially in the Tech-world!) But.... It just seems like they are trying to force (Whatever undesirable item) off their "list."
Companies shouldn't do that to their long-term customers... and if they do,, they SHOULD offer something in return for your loyalty.

The way they handled this was like: "Well.. sorry...sucks to be you...... we don't have an answer for you...... go purchase a new phone...Bye now."

Okay... done ranting. I have my OnePlus back and it's working well on the T-mobile network. Thanks for allowing me to vent! ;)

When I traded my iPhone I bought an unlocked Samsung a21 which att kept rejecting the imei from their network.. I returned the a21 and bought the a11 which is an att branded device no issues.

my older e-bay sony xperia xz says 2G 3G LTE on the box + other info is confirmed in the phone yet still get the 3G deadline notice before every call. i have no problem believing ATT is the issue as our great government allows outright lies from big Food + Pharma + of course Tech. we are just lackys supporting multi million dollar corporations IMO, still no better place to live for sure!!

technology moves on BUT FORCING a new phone on light users is BS IMO, providers should offer a workable replacement even if its a cheepie IMO

technology moves on BUT FORCING a new phone on light users is BS IMO, providers should offer a workable replacement even if its a cheepie IMO
They can’t cater to the minority, most people already have phones that are compatible. People on MVNO’s are also a far lower priority in the eyes of ATT/Verizon/T-Mobile.

They want to shutdown the voice only network and reuse that band for data. VoLTE share the same network for voice and data and you know in 2021 not too many voice calls today. So it make sense to save billions trying to repurpose that band.

In the old days they have to give you a new phone because they are not usable on another network. I got a free 3G phone back when they shutdown 2G and I had an ancient phone. These days you can go elsewhere, so they are not obligated if you don't buy your phone from them.

I'm sure if you want to you can still sell your Sony phone back on eBay, someone else may want it for another market, or use it for a wifi only android device.

In the old days they have to give you a new phone
Well they didn't have to, but considering the monthly rates at the time, to them keeping a customer was worth the cost of a new phone.

They're dedicating a large amount of resources in support of a few old phones. It's like keeping one lane of an interstate unpaved for horse buggy drivers.

ALL the big $$$$ corporations PUSH you to spend more like electric vehicles are being pushed these days!! new tech can be good but a PITA for those like myself have NO interest in!! my new moto E-7 for $129 works for me although a little on the big side + girlfriends TCL A-30 for $110 is even nicer IMO + i just might get one as its simpler, but she stayed with her ATT go phone plan + i switched to AirVoice so i could send pics when i learn how + only pay as i go. $10 for 90 days of talk + text 100 minutes + .0666 per MB for data is + when used!!

Last edited:
Back