Cricket Wireless - OnePlus phone no longer can be used because of recent upgrade BS.

Wow.... Unreal. I have a a 2017 OnePlus 5 phone (Unlocked) and I've been on the Cricket (ATT) network for 7+years. I purchased another phone (Google Pixel) to use for work and decided I liked my OnePlus better. When I switched back to the OnePlus phone, I received a text from Cricket telling me that my phone was "No longer eligible for activation on the Cricket network". WOW.

So... I called Cricket and they confirmed (Saying it was a 3g phone etc., - It's not.) and said a "High Definition Voice Network" was just implemented and my OnePlus would not 'work".
I'm not happy about that... I hate throwing away perfectly fine technology and besides them "forcing" customers to "upgrade" their phones (Their words), ideas of Big Brother start entering my head...

Solutions? Don't know yet... Find another carrier? They are losing me as a customer. And... what's going to happen to all of you when they roll-out the bogus "5g" BS... Those of you that understand the technology will get this.... it's NOT about more "benefits" to the end-user.... It's about ________________ (You fill in the blank.) Ugh.... I so dislike corporations!

what procedure did you follow.
to activate the phone? simply moving the sim card or what?

I regularly used 3 or 4 phones on cricket and never registered them.. just moved the sim around and they worked.

what procedure did you follow.
to activate the phone? simply moving the sim card or what?

I regularly used 3 or 4 phones on cricket and never registered them.. just moved the sim around and they worked.

No procedure at all... just removed the SIM Card and started using the Pixel phone for a month... Pulled the Sim out and returned it to the OnePlus and "Expected" it to work. Cricket "tech" told me becuase I removed and placed "back" again... it signaled the "network". I asked him - So let me understand this.... If I never REMOVED the SIM CARD...my OnePlus phone would still be working now??? He said: "Yes". WOW....

ugh sounds like mvno garbage.
did you try this I found online
Dial *#800# ---> OnePlus logkit ---> Function switch ---> enable VoLTE

cricket is kinda wack about what phones support it.
ie the an unlocked 4 year old phone might not work but their model 4 year old same phone will work
due to firmware.

Thanks for the suggestion! (Didn't work) I may have to go with another carrier... I don't use much DATA or stream, so the Cricket plan was great for $35.

We have the att annual prepaid plan. $300 per year 8gb with rollover. Turns out to be about 25 bucks a month and faster than cricket.
That's great, but apparently ATT/Cricket does not like OnePlus phones. Seems they want people to upgrade or purchase from them.

It’s easy for you to switch carriers.
I understand your frustration but if you really have an LTE One Plus you can go anyplace assuming your phone isn’t outdated.

ATT on Redpocket gives you up to 400% faster speeds, not that it matters but it’s everything you have now and more for $30 a month actual payment with autopay.
Each additional line is only $20 a month actual payment.

it’s the nice part of not being tied to a contract service, switch anytime you want.

It’s easy for you to switch carriers.
I understand your frustration but if you really have an LTE One Plus you can go anyplace assuming your phone isn’t outdated.

ATT on Redpocket gives you up to 400% faster speeds, not that it matters but it’s everything you have now and more for $30 a month actual payment with autopay.
Each additional line is only $20 a month actual payment.

it’s the nice part of not being tied to a contract service, switch anytime you want.
ATT does not support the phone. (Both Cricket and ATT) My phone was fine and worked for years. It's updated. I called and Cricket now says the phone is unsupported.

ATT did the same to me years ago. Would no longer support my favorite phone.

Motorola SLVR-L9.

Although not a “Smart” Phone, it was a Very Intelligent Dumb Phone.

One thing I loved about it was that it would “beep” when I lost cell tower signal and beep again when I’d get cell tower coverage again.

That phone still in a drawer somewhere.

FYI; in case you look it up, the L7 was sold here in the USA, but the L9 was a “Gray Market” phone for the Russian home market.

Thanks for the replies everyone. It just amazes me. Not only that, but when you call cusstomer service, you'll be waiting forever. I'll be looking for an alternative carrier asap.

Apparently it’s an issue with the IMEI and how AT&T handles it.

Good post, I didnt read much of the link, figured it had something to do with LTE...
Though, honestly, this is more of an issue on how the Phone Brand handles ATT, not ATT handles the phone.
More or less, thousands of others without an issue and granted his phone is older but you have, lets say, iPhones that work perfectly fine back from that time.
Progress matters, when a provider is going to make a future change, they will stop activating older technologies but the remaining people will be grandfathered until the "sunset" comes.

Anyway, I blame the phone maker not the provider.

Buy a compatible phone or switch carriers. Your 4 year old phone is probably already ancient by today's standards.
I still own the OnePlus 5 and the new OnePlus 8 pro. The 5 is better in a number of ways and not "ancient" other than the security patch being outdated if you don't start updating it with custom ROMs.

Headphone jack I use every day, better battery life despite being 3 years old, easier to hang onto, and the fingerprint sensor and face unlock are both faster (especially fingerprint). The in display sensors aren't great yet.

I can't help with the activation issue but it reminds me of how weird it was when I switched from the unlocked OnePlus 5 (when it got destroyed in the ocean) on Koodo Mobile (Telus mobility) to a Samsung s8 originally on Koodo, and I had to mess with APN settings to get the Samsung working properly. The unlocked OnePlus auto detected everything and just worked.

I ended up trying the s8 and a pixel xl and went back to a OnePlus 5 until just recently.

Back